blu ray playback any better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blu ray playback any better?

I remember looking about a year ago at adding blu ray to the pc and getting a drive was easy. Getting software to play stuff was another question.

Has it improved?

VLC was ok for me...

Comment

Asked the same thing a while back but in short, no:

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....u-Ray-Playback
      NZXT H440 Matte Black and Red | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100i v2 | 1080 GTX Founders Edition | 32gb Avexir Blitz DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 512 GB | 3TB Western Digital Red | Dell S2716DG | SteelSeries Sensei | Corsair Vengeance K90 | Corsair Vengeance 1500 / Gigaworks T40

Comment

I use PowerDVD, got 11 atm, never had any problems with it .
        i7 950 @4GHz | 460 | 520 | 12Gb Mushkin RAM | H60 | Crucial M4 128gb | OCZ Onyx 240gb | Asus P6X58D-E | Asus Xonar D2X | R.A.T 9 Mouse | Corsair 1KW | LG BLu-ray Reader

Originally posted by Simon1987
        I need to start spreading some reputation around just so I can +/- 0 you later.

Comment

using arcsoft total media theatre works perfectly.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I have had problems with VLC recently with blue ray playback, at the moment I am using PowerDVD 12 Ultra, works fine.

Comment

Powerdvd 12 is a vast improvement over the last version I had (9.0)

It now autorecognises the refresh rate the blu-ray was recorded at and will switch to the new rate. This means that slow pan judder has now gone.

The bad news is that it costs money. A fair bit of money.
              Originally posted by coiler
              the trails is where life flows best
              Originally posted by coiler
              Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

I can never get vlc to play any of my blurays, I use the PowerDVD bundled with my player mostly because I don't want to spend so much money when I prefer VLC anyways. I'd rather pay for VLC and get bluray from them.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
                i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
                Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

^ Yeh that's because most of the Blu Rays have heavy DRM on them and the VLC player is only really designed to play DRM free Blu Ray or ones you've made yourself.

Still in general seems to be a nuisance, the DRM on Avatar is ridiculous. Last week none of my blu rays would play and PowerDVD was saying my system wasn't HDCP compliant. Unplugged my HDMI cable and plugged it back in and it worked again, all rather baffling.

Shame that Arcsoft has not kept updating TMT, about a year or more since it last had an update. I am on PowerDVD 12.

Comment

Another vote for TMT5 here!

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                      using arcsoft total media theatre works perfectly.
                      I use this for bluray and hd dvd works perfectly very good software

Comment

Mine worked fine with PowerDVD 9 for like a year, till I reinstalled windows onto my SSD. Now it won't work, PowerDVD 12 won't work and ArcSoft only works through DVI...

It's a pain, if I could I would get a refund. Think I might buy a PS3.
                        Last edited by Joshimitsu91; 22-08-12, 22:42.
                        i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Any specific error codes that come up, might be able to help a bit more then? I have had both those working on my SSD.

Comment

I gave up about 6 months ago even having a blueray in the PC the drm was so annoying*. 3d blueray is even worse. And cost of grabbing the software just stupid I actually bought a 3d bluray standalone player and HDMI 1.4a lead this year for less than the legal software costs for PowerDVD 12 upgrade on sale and cost of addiong any soundcard that would spit 7.1 correctly down HDMI to the TV or amp.

Blueray is great, 3d blueray is godlike just don't bother with the PC for either for disks the DRM is just insane. Keep both on stand alone players and you will be happy. Current Bluray DRM and software for PC is pretty much an annoyance save yourself a ton of hassle and just buy a standalone player.

Personally I regard the DRM and disk extras on bluray and B3D in regards to the PC as almost malware! And it is annoying as none of my 2d or 3d bluray standalone players boot a disc like a 5GHZ windows PC can.

*And security issues some of the third party features could open up on your PC.
                            Last edited by dirtylarryuk; 26-08-12, 15:38.

RIG: i7 2600k 4.9Ghz, P67, FT02 SE, Gigabyte Titan 6GB VRAM, 8GB DDR3, 2TB SSD.
                            DISPLAYS: 3D - 1200p 120" 21:9 144Hz 3D DLP 0.1ms, 2D 29" Dell IPS 60Hz 29" 21:9 2560-1080p

Comment

Originally posted by Clockwise View Post
                              I remember looking about a year ago at adding blu ray to the pc and getting a drive was easy. Getting software to play stuff was another question.

Has it improved?
                              not quite legit version of power dvd for me.
                              Monitor: Dell U2711, GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 670, CPU: i7 920 , MB: Asus P6T, RAM: 12gb Corsair XMS3, PSU: Corsair HX750, OS DISK: Crucial M4 128GB, Storage: 2 x Samsung F1 1tb, 1 x Samsung F3 1tb 1x Samsung F4 2tb, Case : CM 690 II
                              Photographic Gear: Nikon D700, 16-35 F4 VR, 24-70 F2.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR II, 35 F2D, 50 1.8D, 85 1.8D

Comment

Working...
                              X