Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigIan88
    replied
    Cooler choice depends on the size of your case as some will be so large that they simply wont fit. What case do you have it all housed in?

Leave a comment:

• Sarahlou
    replied
    Thanks a lot again for the replies.Would any of these below be any good at all please? And do you guys have any monitor recommendations? Probably a 27" or 27"+ one. I will get the cooler now and look into overclocking,hope I dont make matters worse

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=67105

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=47248

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=20729

Than

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    I copy the files from the SD to my SSD and work from there mate.

Leave a comment:

• omega
    replied
    Ian do you edit photos on an SSD, or straight from the HDD?
    Just wondering since I'd prefer to have a fairly large SSD as a 'scratch' disk to work on.

I'd suggest getting a nice big quiet cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, and another SSD to work on. You can add a 1440p monitor, your GPU will support that easily. Dell do some nice ones.

You've got a decent amount of RAM, and the CPU isn't 'slow' by any means - the 8 cores are perfect for editing.

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    Your GPU supports a resolution of 4096x2160 so 2560x1440 is a walk in the park for it

Overclocking would be a bit of a challenge on that board and CPU but it is do-able, i'd upgrade the cooler first to cool things down and prevent any thermal throttling you might be getting. It also depends on what case you have as coolers vary in size and the clearances on your case will allow us to help you find a cooler that will fit.

For example, they can range from small and sleek:

To darn right insane:

Leave a comment:

• Sarahlou
    replied
    Thank you again Ian for your reply,I really appreciate you taking time and helping me. I thought I would go 2560x1440 as well,but I am not sure if my graphics card does support it nor my CPU.WOuld I need to upgrade any of them to be able to use that sort of monitor? Also if you have time and it is not too much trouble would you be able to advice me a cooler please? I would love to overclock but to be honest I have absolutely no idea how.Thank you very much

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    In all honesty, I kinda wish I didn't go 4K. Whilst the desktop space is a nice addition, most programs and web browsing is difficult in 4K and 95% of the time, I snap them to half the width so its easier to see and run. 2560x1440 was the best resolution for me, a nice step up from 1080 to notice a difference in sharpness and resolution and not too demanding on the CPU and GPU side of things so everything runs smoothly.

Personally, I would take the cheaper option here and invest in a decent CPU cooler. It will make things a lot quieter for you and with the significant decrease in temperature, your CPU won't throttle and you may be able to overclock it further to squeeze out more performance from the chip. After doing that, if things haven't improved as much as you'd like them to, then invest in a new CPU/Motherboard and kick-start a new life with a higher performance CPU that can cope with the load better, however, this is much more expensive than changing the cooler and overclocking it (granted, its not a black edition CPU but you can still overclock it a little by increasing the FSB).

Leave a comment:

• Sarahlou
    replied
    Thank you so much for the fast reply Ian.Yes it is my CPu's fan kicking in,and it is a stock fan.I use Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.Sometime I have them both open and photoshop Bridge too.I only shoot Raw too and I use presets as well,the more presets I apply on Lightroom the slower the PC gets and sometimes it does freeze at some point.I am not happy with my monitor so I need to change my monitor,I am not sure if my set up can cope with a 4K screen.Wouw if your set-up cant cope then I shouldnt complain at all

Leave a comment:

• BigIan88
    replied
    You have more than enough RAM for the job and I suspect your CPU might be the bottleneck here. When you refer to it being loud, I imagine thats down to your CPU cooler kicking things up a notch to keep it cool as its under a lot of strain from editing. You can reduce the noise by replacing the cooler or the cooler fan (depending on if you're using stock cooling or something better), however its worth bearing in mind that your CPU might be throttling itself if things are getting a little too toasty.

What applications are you using for editing photos? Photoshop? Lightroom? Something else? I edit 24MP RAW on Lightroom on a 4K monitor and even I have to snap LR to half the size to improve performance as applying a preset and even changing to another photo, can be a little sluggish when its full screen - that's on an i7 3770K at 4.8Ghz and 16GB 2400Mhz RAM!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X