Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHOTO EDITING BUILD

Hi

I am new in this forum and dont know how things work exactly,so hopefully this is how it goes.I am a full time photographer,and I am looking for a computer build purely for editing photos.My current set up isnt too bad but at times it does struggle when I try and multitask,and it starts running really loud.I also have a 27" 1920x1080 IPS screen but I cant say I am really happy with it,so I want to upgrade it to 2k or 4k if I can for better colour production.My budget for a PC set up is 400-500 tops ( exluding the screen) I will write down my system specs below,so If I can use any of that,it would be great.Any help is much appreciated,thank you all for your time and help in advance.

Motherboard: GA-78LMT USB3
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 4000mhz
    Graphics Card: AMD radeon 7850
    Ram: 16gb
    Hardrive: 1 x 250gb SSD 2 x 2TB HDD 2048mb GDDR5
    Operating System: Windows 10
    Power Supply: Corsair Cx 430

You have more than enough RAM for the job and I suspect your CPU might be the bottleneck here. When you refer to it being loud, I imagine thats down to your CPU cooler kicking things up a notch to keep it cool as its under a lot of strain from editing. You can reduce the noise by replacing the cooler or the cooler fan (depending on if you're using stock cooling or something better), however its worth bearing in mind that your CPU might be throttling itself if things are getting a little too toasty.

What applications are you using for editing photos? Photoshop? Lightroom? Something else? I edit 24MP RAW on Lightroom on a 4K monitor and even I have to snap LR to half the size to improve performance as applying a preset and even changing to another photo, can be a little sluggish when its full screen - that's on an i7 3770K at 4.8Ghz and 16GB 2400Mhz RAM!
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Thank you so much for the fast reply Ian.Yes it is my CPu's fan kicking in,and it is a stock fan.I use Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.Sometime I have them both open and photoshop Bridge too.I only shoot Raw too and I use presets as well,the more presets I apply on Lightroom the slower the PC gets and sometimes it does freeze at some point.I am not happy with my monitor so I need to change my monitor,I am not sure if my set up can cope with a 4K screen.Wouw if your set-up cant cope then I shouldnt complain at all

Comment

In all honesty, I kinda wish I didn't go 4K. Whilst the desktop space is a nice addition, most programs and web browsing is difficult in 4K and 95% of the time, I snap them to half the width so its easier to see and run. 2560x1440 was the best resolution for me, a nice step up from 1080 to notice a difference in sharpness and resolution and not too demanding on the CPU and GPU side of things so everything runs smoothly.

Personally, I would take the cheaper option here and invest in a decent CPU cooler. It will make things a lot quieter for you and with the significant decrease in temperature, your CPU won't throttle and you may be able to overclock it further to squeeze out more performance from the chip. After doing that, if things haven't improved as much as you'd like them to, then invest in a new CPU/Motherboard and kick-start a new life with a higher performance CPU that can cope with the load better, however, this is much more expensive than changing the cooler and overclocking it (granted, its not a black edition CPU but you can still overclock it a little by increasing the FSB).
        i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Thank you again Ian for your reply,I really appreciate you taking time and helping me. I thought I would go 2560x1440 as well,but I am not sure if my graphics card does support it nor my CPU.WOuld I need to upgrade any of them to be able to use that sort of monitor? Also if you have time and it is not too much trouble would you be able to advice me a cooler please? I would love to overclock but to be honest I have absolutely no idea how.Thank you very much

Comment

Your GPU supports a resolution of 4096x2160 so 2560x1440 is a walk in the park for it

Overclocking would be a bit of a challenge on that board and CPU but it is do-able, i'd upgrade the cooler first to cool things down and prevent any thermal throttling you might be getting. It also depends on what case you have as coolers vary in size and the clearances on your case will allow us to help you find a cooler that will fit.

For example, they can range from small and sleek:

To darn right insane:

Comment

Ian do you edit photos on an SSD, or straight from the HDD?
              Just wondering since I'd prefer to have a fairly large SSD as a 'scratch' disk to work on.

I'd suggest getting a nice big quiet cooler like the Noctua NH-D14, and another SSD to work on. You can add a 1440p monitor, your GPU will support that easily. Dell do some nice ones.

You've got a decent amount of RAM, and the CPU isn't 'slow' by any means - the 8 cores are perfect for editing.
              Originally posted by coiler
              He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
              Originally posted by BigIan88
              turn off that sexy nonsense
              Originally posted by Salad Soup
              turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

I copy the files from the SD to my SSD and work from there mate.

Comment

Thanks a lot again for the replies.Would any of these below be any good at all please? And do you guys have any monitor recommendations? Probably a 27" or 27"+ one. I will get the cooler now and look into overclocking,hope I dont make matters worse

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=67105

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=47248

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=20729

Than

Comment

Cooler choice depends on the size of your case as some will be so large that they simply wont fit. What case do you have it all housed in?

Comment

Ohh I see,never thought of that,this is why I wanted to get advice as I would probably buy the wrong items,It just looks like a standard case ( dont know if there is one),doesnt look like I could fit one of those big ones.

Comment

If its just a generic unbranded case, take the opportunity to upgrade the case too. The case does more than house your parts, the right case can improve air flow and reduce temperatures even more due to having several 120mm fans blowing fresh air in and venting hot air back out.

Nowadays you don't have to spend much money at all to get a really nice case with cable management routes and room for fans.

Of the 4-500 budget you have, it would be wise to put around 50 of that towards a decent case and another 30-40 towards a cooler. If things don't improve as much as you'd prefer, then you still have 3-400 to put towards a motherboard and CPU which is plenty for a decent Ryzen multi-core build - not to mention, you won't be restricted by m-atx motherboards if you chose an ATX case

Comment

It does make sense,I have just found my invoice from Aria,this is the case I have currently,do you think it needs upgrading?

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=54099
                          Last edited by Sarahlou; 10-05-17, 14:07.

Comment

The video on that product page (coincidentally) shows the cooler I mentioned earlier, the Noctua NH-D14, which is massive, so space shouldn't be an issue.

The 212 you linked is a very good cooler though and should be enough to cool your 8350. (https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=47248)

... also how many fans do you have in the case? Might be a good idea to look at improving the airflow, if you've said the CPU cooler sounds like it's working hard.
                            Last edited by omega; 10-05-17, 14:13.
                            Originally posted by coiler
                            He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                            Originally posted by BigIan88
                            turn off that sexy nonsense
                            Originally posted by Salad Soup
                            turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Thank you very much,I will get these,and see if they fit in the case.Could I also ask,are any of you using 32" monitor?I have found a few 32" ones same price as 27" ones,both 2k,but 27" is IPS and 32" is VA,both 100% SRGB colour coverage.Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X