Audio workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio workstation

Some DJ friends are running into hardware restrictions with too many audio effects and filters being applied to samples than their current laptop can handle which is causing the audio distort and skip as CPU usage is 100% across all the cores.

I've advised to step things up and get a desktop PC and connect their various pieces of equipment (External sound card, Moog's, synths, etc) to it and should they run into any issues, its easy to upgrade.

They have a budget of 600 and I've come up with this;

They don't need huge amounts of storage as most things are backed up to external hard drives and so far 8GB seems to be enough memory as monitoring usage whilst tracks are playing, they seem to use about 3.5 - 4GB.

The aim is to remove as many bottlenecks as possible hence the i7 with a plan to add a decent heat sink later down the line so it can be overclocked.

Any suggestions or parts you'd add/remove?
    Last edited by BigIan88; 18-11-16, 16:52.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

What's their current spec?

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I was getting similar problems on my macbook running logic when I had huge sessions open. I upped it from 4gb to 16gb ram and stuck a 500gb ssd in there. The CPU load went down and all my problems went away.

The actual bottleneck was the speed of the hard drive, and not anything else.

Comment

A friend running Serrato had problems on an old laptop, and it was solved with RAM going from 4GB to 8Gb and replacing the HDD with a 256GB SSD.

Much like Aaron said
        the trails is where life flows best
        Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

They have a ~400 HP laptop (model unknown) that has a 1.6Ghz AMD 4 core CPU and 8GB memory with a 500GB HDD.

The HDD might be a bottleneck as the program (Fruity loops) takes a good 90 seconds to load up with all of the add ons popping up and disappearing before the track they have open eventually loads up.
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

What sound driver are they running?

Comment

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....hics-%C2%A3599!
              Originally posted by Aaron
              I want those sweet cherries

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's just a sound driver thing, but we didn't get an answer

Comment

Sorry, I didn't even spot the response.

Its some sort of DAC or external USB sound card that they are using. My current theory is that they are running too many real time effects (60+) for the 1.6Ghz AMD CPU to handle and its falling over itself. When I've tried the same thing to a desktop (that belongs to someone else) it works fine.

Comment

Driver not sound card

Try installing ASIO4ALL and using that as the sound driver..

Comment

Working...
                    X