Music Production PC with onitor - 700 budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Production PC with onitor - 700 budget

Hi guys! I created a machine which I will use in music recording. I mainly use Avid Pro Tools software. Sometimes I would like to play some games. I absolutely do not need super quality graphic. Is that motherboard's graphic card enough? I will also buy Focusrite Audio Interface. Please let me know what do you think and if can i do something better at this price.
    Processor: AMD FX-6300 3 50Ghz Socket AM3+ 6 Core
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+ Motherboard
    Power: Be quiet 500w Pure Power 9 Power Supply BN263
    RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2X8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
    Box:
    Corsair Carbide 100R Ultra Quiet Midi PC Silent Edition CaseDVD: LG GH24NSDD
    Monitor:ASUS VC279H 27''
    SSD: Samsung EVO 750 500GB
    HD 2TB Toshiba
    Thank you
    Last edited by filippardej; 07-11-16, 17:36.

fx series chips do not have a gpu core, so no. integrated gpu are now part of the cpu (apu) and not part of the mobo.

for amd cpu you would be wasting money with ram that fast as they do not make the best use of it. but the latest intel cpu can get noticable gains from faster ram with some software.

i would consider looking at an i5 or even an i3 with hyper threading as in most cases i think it would out perform the fx6, which is really at the end of its life now. amd are just about to launch am4 and their new range of cpu based on their new zen hardware. that would also mean switching to an intel motherboard.

but this is the thing, i do not know that software or what type of hardware it benefits from. you might find it will give gains from the fx6 vs fewer, faster intel cored cpu or it could be the other way around?
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

I would go (and did for my studio) for an Intel set up. As much as I like AMD, they just can't keep up at the moment for this sort of stuff. Stick a few real time effects on the channels, and your CPU gets very busy, very quickly.

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

A little over budget, but..

Fast 4core/8 thread CPU, Decent motherboard with integrated headphone amp + ALC1150 for 192/24 115dB snr playback, the 30 difference will give you more life before upgrading your audio. Storage took a hit too, but absolute memory + CPU performance is totally worth it. good quality budget PSU, fast SSD, decent case. not much else needed

Comment

whoops missed this part
          I will also buy Focusrite Audio Interface
          Is that included in your budget?

well if you need the 27" monitor,

you can save 50 on buying a budget H110 motherboard.
          And you can skimp on the CPU too by going for an i5 6400, saving about 110,

Ugh, you even spec'd a DVD drive.... will you even use it?

You know when technology is becoming obsolete when sainsburys are selling 25 blank DVDs for 20.... 7 years ago you could by 100 blank DVDs for 10 lol
          Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 07-11-16, 19:42.

Comment

Hi guys!

Thanks for quick reply and very helpful answers.

I'm getting finance so I can afford couple quids more.

I'm getting focusrite interface in next few months so that budget is just for pc and monitor.

I need DVD to burn the music after recording.

Last setup looks great! I'm just afraid if the fans could be too loud during recording What do you think guys? Is it worth to buy "silence" stuff?

Comment

the i7 6700 is rated for 65w tdp meaning it should run rather cool/quiet, there is no discrete GPU either which tends to add a lot of additional heat. You could buy a large cooler to definitely keep things quiet like this (iirc the 1150/1151 is the same mount?? someone may need to confirm this)

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=62193

The case fans tend to be rather quiet anyway, if you connect them to the motherboard you should be able to keep them slow/quiet

some might suggest stretching to the i7 6700 K which will give a little extra performance and retain resale value later but when PC stuff if you play the 'a little 20 here and there' game soon adds up to an extra 100 here or there and I dont think you will see much real world performance gain.
              Last edited by I3R0K3N7FEET; 07-11-16, 22:29.

Comment

also just a quick point.... That Motherboard does not support DDR4

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4717#sp

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory (Note 1)
                Dual channel memory architecture
                Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules (Note 2)
                posted by scrivz69
                I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Originally posted by I3R0K3N7FEET View Post
                  whoops missed this part

Is that included in your budget?

well if you need the 27" monitor,

you can save 50 on buying a budget H110 motherboard.
                  And you can skimp on the CPU too by going for an i5 6400, saving about 110,

Ugh, you even spec'd a DVD drive.... will you even use it?

You know when technology is becoming obsolete when sainsburys are selling 25 blank DVDs for 20.... 7 years ago you could by 100 blank DVDs for 10 lol

You still can get 100 DVDs for a tenner lol.... well 12 inc delivery
                  posted by scrivz69
                  I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                  i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Ok guys, thanks a lot for all replies.

So final setup looks like that.

I deleted one hard drive as I own external one which I can use. I also afford a few more pounds for 24'' monitor. Is it good?
                    Please let me know if I should go for it.
                    Thanks

Comment

I still think it unwise to have a boot drive that small. Your original 500 GB may be over the top (although that's what I have), but 120 GB can fill up. 250 GB is a happy medium.

I have three bog standard PCs, one fills 179 GB on the boot drive, one fills 115 GB the third has 78 GB. I admit that I have heavy duty index and search software that holds a large database for the index.

To keep it down you have to tell Widows to put all that User stuff on your main drive. No big hassle, but why create the grief in the first place, just to save 20?

You do realise that the Z170 supports m.2 drives for seriously faster booting? But that's a thought for another day. The prices of those seem to have gone through the roof since I bought mine earlier this year. Bloody Brexit.
                      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                      Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Just out of interest - what software are you planning on running?

Originally posted by coiler
                        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
                        X