X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgraderbf3
    started a topic MAKING A PC FOR VIRTUAL REALITY

MAKING A PC FOR VIRTUAL REALITY

I was thinking to buy ps4 vr but I'm sure the rift be a better idea?

whats the thoughts on that firstly?

I also have steering wheel for my pc which doesn't work on ps4 and that save me money as id need buy new wheel for the ps4 for racing games in VR.

I was going to upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram anyway due to another issue so that was going to happen.

What kinda specs are min for the oculus? I don't wanna go crazy just need the min required really.

Also what about GPU will my twin froz 2gb 9750 cut it? if not what shall I buy?

also I have a 10 year old or so corsair 520w psu should I replace this and again if so any suggestions cheers

And also if I don't like the vr or it makes me ill do you think you can sell used easily enough close to retail somewhat?

summary:

specs for:
    cpu
    mobo
    ram

Upgrades or not?
    7950 2gb Twin Frozr
    520w Corsair psu

• wonderlust
    replied
    Well I've finished the VR build for my customer and ran the VR Test....

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    it will manage it, if you do the Steam VR Check - it'll be right on the edge though for frame rates.

DT.

Leave a comment:

• M4T VW
    replied
    I'm thinking about VR for the simulator after christmas. Will my GTX980 Strix cut it or shall i upgrade in the sales?

Leave a comment:

• wonderlust
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron View Post
    Fixed for you..
    well it was a gtx960 not a gtx950....

customer has just turned up with a GTX1070 founders edition!

Leave a comment:

• upgraderbf3
    replied
    Its just a start it will set me back ONLY 450 for all I need, whereas any other pc version hitting near a grand.

so ps vr the best option now and as said I can always sell used If I want to go for a better pc version later

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    Originally posted by upgraderbf3 View Post
    I the rift and was mega impressed, I'm now sold on buying one. But I will buy PSVR just for now as its working out much cheaper and easy to get started with...Just waiting for a big driving title though....project cars and dirt rally vr on pc but will they be VR on ps4? cant find any info online...
    make sure you try them all - it's not a small investment and you don't want to be kicking yourself in 4months time

Leave a comment:

• DoubleTop
    replied
    I've recently been in the VR shoppers and at a number of trade shows, both showing off the VR I've commissioned and also gauging users feedback on the options.

Goggles you put your phone in - these are pretty cool for a movie or a show of some form, but aren't very interactive or comfortable. A good route into the experience though and a pretty inexpensive way to see if you suffer from the VR sickness, a lot of people get very motion sick

The rift, stay away from older models, the headsets are heavy and the tracking leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure why, but personally for the projects I've been using which could be described as architecture workarounds, the setup feels from both inside and outside - the budget model of the Vive. Oculus does seem to be on top and first with a large variation of add-on controllers, but there something about the tech setup, the single tracking that just doesn't have that slick feel. It's too easy for the headset to be "lost signal" when really into the experience. I have to note, I'm yet to try the latest updated headset which is apparently better at not getting lost. If it's about the peripherals, the Rift probably wins, but about the experience to me is all about the Vive ....

The Vive - compared to all other experiences, this one is the best of the bunch for me. The twin tracking units means you feel more "secure", there's less of the random skipping I've experienced with the Rift. It knows where you are to higher degree of accuracy. Now to feel the very best out of this, you need a beast of a machine and make sure you have plenty of expansion headroom - that means a 1060 just isn't enough. A Vive setup for me is a 3.5k investment, and a worthy one. Could it be done cheaper, probably - is the experience better. I've spent hours in VR recently and to put my stamp on it - we've just signed off 2 setups at 3.5k a pop.

There are even some excellent tripods now for the sensors as well, and if you're going for it, have the cable on a boom with a spring return on the cable as well so you can be in the vr safely on your own without the trip risk.

Leave a comment:

• upgraderbf3
    replied
    I the rift and was mega impressed, I'm now sold on buying one. But I will buy PSVR just for now as its working out much cheaper and easy to get started with...Just waiting for a big driving title though....project cars and dirt rally vr on pc but will they be VR on ps4? cant find any info online...

Leave a comment:

• Aaron
    replied
    Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
    Well My customer has just contacted me to confirm that they wish to go ahead with a base build to work with a VIVE.

the only issue at the moment is that they have already purchased a GTX950 which I don't think will be upto the task.

but the they understand that and will build the rest try it and upgrade at a later date if because it is required.
    Fixed for you..

Leave a comment:

• wonderlust
    replied
    Well My customer has just contacted me to confirm that they wish to go ahead with a base build to work with a VIVE.

the only issue at the moment is that they have already purchased a GTX950 which I don't think will be upto the task.

but the they understand that and will build the rest try it and upgrade at a later date if required.

Leave a comment:

• upgraderbf3
    replied
    however it seems no vr support for dirt rally or project cars on ps4? not now anyway yet they are vr on pc...I wonder if they will go vr on ps4 soon or ever?

Leave a comment:

• upgraderbf3
    replied
    Edinburgh we have a big one!

However I think ill go for psvr its gonna work out almost half the price or cheaper!

Is the quality that much different?

As said though its more of a taster, I can sell it and/upgrade later if I want?
    Last edited by upgraderbf3; 22-10-16, 22:43.

Leave a comment:

• NickCPC
    replied
    If you've got a biggish John Lewis near you (as in like in a city) we've put Oculus Rift in a few branches. It's unquestionably better than PSVR - longest I've had a go so far is about 45 minutes and I felt fine though I'd recommend regular breaks, especially depending on the type of game you are playing. Go in and have a try. If you can tell me what city you're near I can tell you if there's one there, otherwise just call up and the call centre should be able to confirm for you.

Leave a comment:

• upgraderbf3
    replied
    i know that appeals about the psvr.

And as said I need to test if I like it and if ill use it and if it will make me sick etc?

To test it out far better to buy ps4 vr than upgrade my pc right?

And yeh I guess I could try the wheel thing also, though not sure what gaems vr racing on ps4?

Guess ps4 vr the way to go...and if I dig it then down the line upgrade to oculus, this makes most sense and if I don't like it I'm sure easy enough to sell on ebay or something with small loss

Leave a comment:

Working...
X