No announcement yet.

MAKING A PC FOR VIRTUAL REALITY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I the rift and was mega impressed, I'm now sold on buying one. But I will buy PSVR just for now as its working out much cheaper and easy to get started with...Just waiting for a big driving title though....project cars and dirt rally vr on pc but will they be VR on ps4? cant find any info online...

Comment

I've recently been in the VR shoppers and at a number of trade shows, both showing off the VR I've commissioned and also gauging users feedback on the options.

Goggles you put your phone in - these are pretty cool for a movie or a show of some form, but aren't very interactive or comfortable. A good route into the experience though and a pretty inexpensive way to see if you suffer from the VR sickness, a lot of people get very motion sick

The rift, stay away from older models, the headsets are heavy and the tracking leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure why, but personally for the projects I've been using which could be described as architecture workarounds, the setup feels from both inside and outside - the budget model of the Vive. Oculus does seem to be on top and first with a large variation of add-on controllers, but there something about the tech setup, the single tracking that just doesn't have that slick feel. It's too easy for the headset to be "lost signal" when really into the experience. I have to note, I'm yet to try the latest updated headset which is apparently better at not getting lost. If it's about the peripherals, the Rift probably wins, but about the experience to me is all about the Vive ....

The Vive - compared to all other experiences, this one is the best of the bunch for me. The twin tracking units means you feel more "secure", there's less of the random skipping I've experienced with the Rift. It knows where you are to higher degree of accuracy. Now to feel the very best out of this, you need a beast of a machine and make sure you have plenty of expansion headroom - that means a 1060 just isn't enough. A Vive setup for me is a 3.5k investment, and a worthy one. Could it be done cheaper, probably - is the experience better. I've spent hours in VR recently and to put my stamp on it - we've just signed off 2 setups at 3.5k a pop.

There are even some excellent tripods now for the sensors as well, and if you're going for it, have the cable on a boom with a spring return on the cable as well so you can be in the vr safely on your own without the trip risk.
      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by upgraderbf3 View Post
        I the rift and was mega impressed, I'm now sold on buying one. But I will buy PSVR just for now as its working out much cheaper and easy to get started with...Just waiting for a big driving title though....project cars and dirt rally vr on pc but will they be VR on ps4? cant find any info online...
        make sure you try them all - it's not a small investment and you don't want to be kicking yourself in 4months time
        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Its just a start it will set me back ONLY 450 for all I need, whereas any other pc version hitting near a grand.

so ps vr the best option now and as said I can always sell used If I want to go for a better pc version later

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Fixed for you..
            well it was a gtx960 not a gtx950....

customer has just turned up with a GTX1070 founders edition!
            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

I'm thinking about VR for the simulator after christmas. Will my GTX980 Strix cut it or shall i upgrade in the sales?

Originally posted by Aria
              On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

it will manage it, if you do the Steam VR Check - it'll be right on the edge though for frame rates.

DT.
                Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Well I've finished the VR build for my customer and ran the VR Test....

I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                  X