MAKING A PC FOR VIRTUAL REALITY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAKING A PC FOR VIRTUAL REALITY

I was thinking to buy ps4 vr but I'm sure the rift be a better idea?

whats the thoughts on that firstly?

I also have steering wheel for my pc which doesn't work on ps4 and that save me money as id need buy new wheel for the ps4 for racing games in VR.

I was going to upgrade my mobo/cpu/ram anyway due to another issue so that was going to happen.

What kinda specs are min for the oculus? I don't wanna go crazy just need the min required really.

Also what about GPU will my twin froz 2gb 9750 cut it? if not what shall I buy?

also I have a 10 year old or so corsair 520w psu should I replace this and again if so any suggestions cheers

And also if I don't like the vr or it makes me ill do you think you can sell used easily enough close to retail somewhat?

summary:

specs for:
    cpu
    mobo
    ram

Upgrades or not?
    7950 2gb Twin Frozr
    520w Corsair psu

I had a customer contact me today for a PC to go with an HTC Vive.

The spec for that is very high same as the Rift

IE 4GB GTX970 R9 290
    I5-4590
    8GB
    3 USB 3 ports + 1 USB 2

You are looking around 1000 for a pc to run it

Which wheel?
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

The Rift is very good, I've had a few extended goes at work and it's a lot of fun but agree with wonderlust's spec above, anything below and you'll really struggle.

520W PSU if 10 years old is time to change. How about this Superflower HX650 - https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=64208 which is probably pretty good value for the specs and should last for another few years if you don't upgrade very often
      CPU - I'd go i5 6400 which is 172 - https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=64163
      Mobo - Asus H170 Pro 99 - https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=64667
      RAM - 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 46 - https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=63867
      GPU - I don't think your 7950 will cut it. GTX1060 is probably best value for money but go for 6GB variant, 237 - https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=66615

This is all pretty much minimum currently available, you'd probably need to go used to get a better price.
      Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
      Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

thanks guys

I reckon I can make 150-200 selling some parts in my current pc mobo/cpu/ram...then how much would I get for my 9750? maybe another 50 quid? and how much for my psu? 20?

TBH the above list ''NICKCPC'' looks buyable for me apart from the GPU, that's a killer $$$ wise...the cpu/ram/mobo/psu I'm happy to buy.

Overall, it seems buying ps4 VR would be cheaper as I don't need to buy all this upgrade stuff.

As for my wheel its a Logitech DFGT which I could sell on ebay for 50-100 I guess then buy the thrustmaster for like 250? which works on ps4/pc.

BUt I think rift better than ps4 vr? But then again if I don't like it then all I do is sell it whereas oculus rift I spent all that cash on my pc....MY pc plays games better than ps4 or similar atm and I'm happy with that so only reason to fork out 250 for new gpu would be the rift.

ANd as said not sure how I feel about it, also quams over potential health effects on eyes and brain? and not sure how much play time it will get, just like my wheel I play it maybe one day per month, I just cba after work or when chilling rather lie in bed with pad..if the VR goes same way a lot of money spent on my PC.

Maybe I could buy ps4 vr for time being, see how I enjoy it and how much play time it gets? If I don't like it or don't use it much I sell it...if I like it then I just keep a hold of it until I get more cash saved and upgrade my pc..then I sell it and buy rift?

IS that best idea?

I could even buy the thrustmaster also if I wanted a wheel...not sure how much better games look on rift though?
        Last edited by upgraderbf3; 22-10-16, 20:07.

Comment

The DGFT WILL work on a PS4.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1125782

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7vz6dHRpe4
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

I seen something like that before but seems a lot of work? or a bit difficult job

Comment

I have no idea I don't own a console.

But surely cheaper than buying a new wheel when you have a perfectly good one.

Comment

Rift + Vive are both pretty similar in terms of features and price.

PSVR is probably a level below, but then it's much cheaper in the end.

If you haven't got the money to burn though, I'd probably go PSVR. The cost of building a VR capable PC plus the headset can easily tail way into 1500 and beyond.

Comment

i know that appeals about the psvr?

And as said I need to test if I like it and if ill use it and if it will make me sick etc?

To test it out far better to buy ps4 than upgrade my pc right?

And yeh I guess I could try the wheel thing also, though not sure what gaems vr racing on ps4?

Guess ps4 vr the way to go...and if I dig it then down the line upgrade to oculus, this makes most sense and if I don't like it I'm sure easy enough to sell on ebay or something with small loss

Comment

i know that appeals about the psvr.

And as said I need to test if I like it and if ill use it and if it will make me sick etc?

To test it out far better to buy ps4 vr than upgrade my pc right?

And yeh I guess I could try the wheel thing also, though not sure what gaems vr racing on ps4?

Guess ps4 vr the way to go...and if I dig it then down the line upgrade to oculus, this makes most sense and if I don't like it I'm sure easy enough to sell on ebay or something with small loss

Comment

If you've got a biggish John Lewis near you (as in like in a city) we've put Oculus Rift in a few branches. It's unquestionably better than PSVR - longest I've had a go so far is about 45 minutes and I felt fine though I'd recommend regular breaks, especially depending on the type of game you are playing. Go in and have a try. If you can tell me what city you're near I can tell you if there's one there, otherwise just call up and the call centre should be able to confirm for you.
                      Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
                      Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Edinburgh we have a big one!

However I think ill go for psvr its gonna work out almost half the price or cheaper!

Is the quality that much different?

As said though its more of a taster, I can sell it and/upgrade later if I want?
                        Last edited by upgraderbf3; 22-10-16, 22:43.

Comment

however it seems no vr support for dirt rally or project cars on ps4? not now anyway yet they are vr on pc...I wonder if they will go vr on ps4 soon or ever?

Comment

Well My customer has just contacted me to confirm that they wish to go ahead with a base build to work with a VIVE.

the only issue at the moment is that they have already purchased a GTX950 which I don't think will be upto the task.

but the they understand that and will build the rest try it and upgrade at a later date if required.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                              Well My customer has just contacted me to confirm that they wish to go ahead with a base build to work with a VIVE.

the only issue at the moment is that they have already purchased a GTX950 which I don't think will be upto the task.

but the they understand that and will build the rest try it and upgrade at a later date if because it is required.
                              Fixed for you..

Originally posted by coiler
                              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
                              X