Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spec me an Upgrade (CPU, RAM, motherboard)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me an Upgrade (CPU, RAM, motherboard)

Hi Forum! Long time no see...

As per the title, I've decided it's about time to upgrade my current build. There are a few reasons for this, including the upcoming release of Battlefield 1 (and other games), plus I intend to use my old components to build my other half a somewhat decent gaming rig. She won't be playing anything demanding, so I reckon that's a decent plan. My current specifications are as follows:

CPU: i7 920
    Mobo: GA-X58A-UD7
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 (Corsair XMS3 1600MHz if I remember correctly)
    GPU: R9 280x 3GB
    SSD: OCZ Agillity 3 120GB
    HDD: Samsung 1TB F3
    PSU: OCZ 500W modular
    Case: Coolermaster Storm Scout (original version)

My plans (currently) are to firstly upgrade the CPU, motherboard, RAM and SSD. I currently have a spare case and GPU (a GTX 460) which I can combine with the old parts, along with a new PSU (or my old PSU if I get myself a new one) to build the second PC. The GTX 460 will suffice for now at least as it will only really be used for WoW, Overwatch, Minecraft, maybe some of the older COD games, and will be running on a 720p monitor.

As for what to upgrade to, this is where I need your help! I've been really bad at keeping up with what's new and good value etc. in the PC parts world...

My uses for the PC will mainly be gaming (at 1080p, 60Hz) with a bit of occasional software development and the usual web browsing, music/video etc. etc. Games will be the latest Battlefield of course along with plenty of Overwatch, Minecraft, Titanfall, variod COD games, Rainbow Six...

My budget for this first stage of upgrade will be around the 400-500 mark, with a bit of room for movement should it be super worth it. A month or two after this I plan to upgrade my GPU to something fitting a similar budget, although cheaper would be preferable.

My current line of thought is something like:

- i5 6600
    - Gigabyte B150 Sniper B7
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
    - Samsung PM951 256GB

with a total of around 450, although this doesn't yet include a PSU (was thinking a CX500 for around 50).

What are your thoughts? I don't intend to overclock in any way, hence why I went with the non-k processor and B150 board for that list. As for SSD, the Samsung 950 pro looks lovely, but I wasn't sure if it was really worth it, plus it would push by budget a little!

Cheers,

i7 920 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 280x 3GB | OCZ 500W | 120GB SSD | 1TB F3

Agree on the SSD. The 950 is lovely but overkill for many domestic non-overclocked/heavily pushed systems.
    Seems all in all a good, well rounded spec
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Originally posted by coiler
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by cruciate View Post
      Agree on the SSD. The 950 is lovely but overkill for many domestic non-overclocked/heavily pushed systems.
      Seems all in all a good, well rounded spec
      Thanks! That's good to hear, I'm still not 100% decided on the motherboard though, particularly between H170 and B150... I'm not overclocking so I don't need Z170 or anything crazy like that!

i7 920 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 280x 3GB | OCZ 500W | 120GB SSD | 1TB F3

Comment

Working...
      X