No announcement yet.

Upgrade and downsize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're looking for something that uses Blu-Ray, get a Samsung Series 5 laptop, they also have an additional HDD space
    Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGlobe View Post
      If you're looking for something that uses Blu-Ray, get a Samsung Series 5 laptop, they also have an additional HDD space
      But... But... I <3 the 11 hours or so I can get out of my netbook battery... :L
      PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
      Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

I managed two films from a full charge a few days ago, which is about 6 hours - not bad I thought
        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Not gonna lie - that's impressive! I still think that a (larger) ITX build and a netbook for taking notes, etc is the way to go, but I genuinely didn't realise that you can get six hours from a "normal" laptop!
          PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.

Comment

Originally posted by benzeman View Post
            Not gonna lie - that's impressive! I still think that a (larger) ITX build and a netbook for taking notes, etc is the way to go, but I genuinely didn't realise that you can get six hours from a "normal" laptop!
            Depends on the laptop really. I mean, mine has a 6 cell 48WHr (battery size isn't the main issue, but the output) and it lasts about 5 hours - thats with the spec in my sig.

If it had a 62WHr battery it might last 7-8 hours. What subject would you be doing btw? Computing? You might need portable power for labs.
            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
              What subject would you be doing btw? Computing? You might need portable power for labs.
              Yeah, computer science... What do you mean - portable power? When I was at southampton I had workstation access - and I was just a guest!
              Last edited by benzeman; 10-12-12, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by benzeman View Post
                Yeah, computer science... What do you mean - portable power? When I was at southampton I had workstation access - and I was just a guest!
                Ah in case you needed to use it in labs. Do you really want to use a netbook in lectures then?
                Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
                  Ah in case you needed to use it in labs. Do you really want to use a netbook in lectures then?
                  Well, the setup I use at the moment is that I use my netbook for typing up notes, and then I tunnel into my PC at home for anything needed serious processing power (for example processing for the national cipher challenge - or I just wait until I get home!).

I don't see any reason to change for university - especially as at Southampton (I can't speak for anywhere else) we had loads of privileges on the workstations, and they were powerful as well - not like the i3's our school are buying for the IT suites (or pentiums for the library :O). Would you disagree then?

Comment

What about an all in one (HP, Sony, Apple?).

Comment

Wow this went off on a tangent didn't it.

So back to the original question rather than just trying to make you take a different path....yeh that would work.
                      I understand what you mean by the labs though cally's labs all have SB i7's, i have a ivy i5 in my laptop for portable labs(i sit in morrisons during lunch and do work with other students cause they rock and give you free wifi lol.) I'm gonig to shoot down the all in one idea right now....you'll pay a premium for an all in one and on top of that you can't upgrade or overclock them

Comment

Originally posted by citrobacter View Post
                        What about an all in one (HP, Sony, Apple?).
                        No. Just no. Not upgradable, heavy, un-portable. And expensive. No redeeming feature as far as I'm aware...

Comment

My Asus n55sf will manage about 4 hours usually of average use, music, web browsing, office etc.
                          Or about 20 minutes when playing games :')
                          Originally posted by andyn
                          Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                          PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                          Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Meh, I can see myself needed to get one of the Lenovo ultrabooks... 24 hours of battery life

Comment

Working...
                            X