New Pc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
    so its not the fact that it is in essence the same thing but its the fact that its only the same thing if the price difference isnt so big?

interesting.
    And that's un-reasonable, how, exactly?
    see to me i would rather take the intel route as it has a better upgrade path, idk about you terb but having an i7 as a possible upgrade is better than being stuck on am3+ imo.
    That's always a false economy.

By time people are ready to part with their i7s the latest and greatest will be just as good if not better in some regards for the same price. At least with AM3+ there is the prospect the next-line of chips will work too.

Comment

lol

dude you know that prospect has as much chance of happening as winning the lotto.

so you are saying that in 1 or 2 years time an i7 cpu (1155 for this system) will cost as much as a haswell setup? jog on...you will get them for around a ton and it would still beat anything you could put in the amd setup by miles.

tbh i would bet that in 2 years time amd would still be behind todays i7 cpu.
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

Guys, hate to backseat moderate but this discussion is sidetracking from helping spec a build to AMD vs Intel.
        Originally posted by andyn
        Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
        PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
        Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

so you are saying that in 1 or 2 years time an i7 cpu (1155 for this system) will cost as much as a haswell setup? jog on...you will get them for around a ton and it would still beat anything you could put in the amd setup by miles.

tbh i would bet that in 2 years time amd would still be behind todays i7 cpu.
          Cheap board + entry i5 will come in at around 160, so about 60 more than you can expect to pick up an i7 for. Of course, an extra 60 is a perfectly reasonable outlay, apparently, and in essence is essentially the same as 100. but yes, i imagine this hypothetical i5 will be faster than the i7 for the most part - especially in games.

You can beat the Intel > AMD drum all you want, it doesn't cover up your original flawed reasoning.

Comment

Low-End (upto 400): Intel vs AMD = AMD Wins
            Mid-End (400 - 600): Intel vs AMD = Even
            High-End (600+): Intel vs AMD = Intel Wins

Price i based per entire build and is plucked from my head as that is how i think

@OP tell us what your thinking of getting and we could make some modifications to it to make it better?

Comment

cosford me and terb are playing mate, debate is the ground upon which forums are built and without debate this would be a very quiet, empty space

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
              Cheap board + entry i5 will come in at around 160, so about 60 more than you can expect to pick up an i7 for. Of course, an extra 60 is a perfectly reasonable outlay, apparently, and in essence is essentially the same as 100. but yes, i imagine this hypothetical i5 will be faster than the i7 for the most part - especially in games.

You can beat the Intel > AMD drum all you want, it doesn't cover up your original flawed reasoning.
              my original flawed reasoning?

that spending more on a product better suited is the same as spending more on product better suited? i can see how you would think thats flawed yes

160 for a haswell i5 and mobo?

wow i love how optimistic you are in the evening. so are we forgetting how 1155 mobo where 150+ at launch and how the i5 chips where (and still are) in the same ball park? so we are talking 300 ish, to beat the 2600k which is some way over your 60 guestimate but thats ok as my figures are just as much make believe even if more rooted in facts.

i know which i would rather spend to help unchoke my gpu when inevitably the cpu starts to be the bottleneck, but we all know the amd cpu would reach this point sooner than even a cheap intel, never mind the i5 or i7s.

Bart i think you are on the right lines but in my mind its more.

<500 amd
              >500 intel

and as this is just creeping over the 500 mark, is for gaming and will be upgraded over time i think it would be daft to spend it on a platform which is weak for the systems primary role.
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

No objections to debate, but I don't believe a new build thread is the best place for pages of discussion on AMD vs Intel, outside of the OP's budget.

No point comparing i5/7's/amd's equivalents in this thread when none of which fit in the OP's budget.

EDIT: But bringing it back to the OP, what in the way of peripherals do you require? Monitor? Keyboard? Mouse? Windows? etc. That way, we can recommend an optomised build(s).
                Originally posted by andyn
                Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

so are we forgetting how 1155 mobo where 150+ at launch
                  Are we forgetting the lesser chipsets that would never approach 150, similar to the ones specced in the Intel build?

You're right, Cosford.

We need to know specifics before we can tailor something.

Comment

lesser chipsets, is there a reason to finish that sent....

its a gaming pc, which will need to be upgradable and buying into a platform with cutdown features makes no sense when the main fature removed is the ability to overclock.

none of this changes the fact that an intel system would be better today and better in the long run given the upgrade path open to it over the am3+ route.
                    Plato

Comment

Working...
                    X