Upgrade recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade recommendations

My PC is aging so I want to upgrade a few parts - motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM and possibly get an SSD. Everything else is going to be re-used. My current spec is:

Case Cooler Master Silencio 550
    PSU 650W Corsair TX650 V2
    Motherboard MSI P55-CD53 (MS-7586)
    CPU Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
    Cooler Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2
    RAM 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
    GPU Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    Optical Drives Optiarc DVD RW AD-7241S, SAMSUNG DVDWBD SH-B083L
    Hard Drives Western Digital 1TB, Seagate 3TB

For reference my PC is used for video encoding, music production (runs Guitar Rig Pro, Cubase and a few other apps) and gaming.

After reading plenty of reviews, I've finally settled on the i5-3570K and this is where you guys come in...

What motherboard and RAM (I figured 8GB would be ok) would you recommend?
    Are the stock Intel coolers still quite loud and less efficient as that was the reason for my last upgrade? If you'd recommend an upgrade please be aware that whilst Cooler Master claim it can be a max height of 154mm, in reality it's about 10mm less than that due to the silencing material.
    For the SSD, I'd like a minimum of 120GB and again whatever you guys rate as decent, or any opinions against one.

I'm pretty open to the price at the moment. I've noticed that Aria sell pre-built combos too - would you recommend these or am I better buying separate and building it myself?

Let me know if you require any other info and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by scokem; 20-11-12, 14:15.

Honestly, there is no need to upgrade. The i5 you have is still a very capable chip. It would be much cheaper to just overclock it to get more performance from it. In fact, it will cost you nothing.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the current i5 I have is a good chip but I'm not interested in overclocking it (for myself at least) - my plan was to use the parts I'm removing, along with some other spares I have, to build a new machine for my brother as an upgrade to his lowly dual core rig. Once I've done that, I may well look into the overclocking options.

I know for a fact that the Sandy Bridge i5 I have in my work PC destroys my own PC when it comes to my video encoding so I expect the Ivy Bridge to improve on that and benchmarks would appear to back this theory up too.

Comment

This is true. The encoding is greatly helped by QuickSync in the new Intel CPUs. It greatly improves encoding speeds as you've noticed already.

If you need a hand overclocking, just ask on the forums. We can help!

I would get a decent, after market cooler for your new i5, especially if you plan to dabble with overclocking. Again, most of us here have the chip or a SandyBridge chip so we will be able to offer assistance. It's very easy to gain extra performance from the newer chips.

Okay, enough of that...

What sort of a budget do you have for the upgrade? The pre-built bundles by Aria are quality. They come pre-overclocked as well and they will be stable which means you get extra performance for free if you don't want to dabble with it yourself. I think this is a good idea for you because the faster processor will again increase your productivity even further.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by scokem View Post
          Thanks for the reply. I understand that the current i5 I have is a good chip but I'm not interested in overclocking it (for myself at least) - my plan was to use the parts I'm removing, along with some other spares I have, to build a new machine for my brother as an upgrade to his lowly dual core rig. Once I've done that, I may well look into the overclocking options.

I know for a fact that the Sandy Bridge i5 I have in my work PC destroys my own PC when it comes to my video encoding so I expect the Ivy Bridge to improve on that and benchmarks would appear to back this theory up too.
          Depedning on what programs you use for encoding it might be worth giving an FX 8350 a look:
          http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/28

Comment

Isn't the i5 with QuickSync faster?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
              Isn't the i5 with QuickSync faster?
              It will be in certain scenarios, that's why i asked what programs he uses.

You can't use QS (or any GPU) in Handbrake, for example. Obviously he does use a program that benefits from QS but maybe that's out of necessity due to the performance difference between the laptop and his home build.

Comment

Okay, I see.

I still think that the i5 would be quicker but I've only tested on the x264HD benchmark, version 4 and 5. The i5 consistently bests it. I don't know much about video encoding, at all, though.

Comment

Regarding a budget, when I originally started looking around for parts, I figured around 300 would cover the motherboard, CPU and RAM. As for the cooler, I know the newer Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 range is around 20-25 and should fit in my case too. The SSD was just an optional extra that I'd consider if responses deemed it worth it.

My only concern with overclocked kit is that from my understanding, it runs hotter meaning more cooling being required which in turn leads to more noise and I like my systems as cool and quiet as possible.

Comment

The cooling provided is more than capable of cooling the processor down. It should run quietly when the system is in an idle state as it should underclock and undervolt the processor to save power and lower the heat/noise output.

Comment

Thanks for the info. So what motherboard and RAM would you recommend then if I go with the 3570K?

Comment

Originally posted by scokem View Post
                        Thanks for the info. So what motherboard and RAM would you recommend then if I go with the 3570K?
                        Depends how much you want to spend - something like the Z77-D3 from Gigabyte is a good all-rounder, though.

RAM wise it doesn't really matter, some 2x4GB 1600MHz stuff will be fine, so whatever's cheapest for that spec (or do you need more with your video encoding programs?).

Comment

if you have no intention of overclocking this system i would say save a few quid and go with the 3550 pair it with a good value mobo and some ram and with the freeezer pro you have about enough left to squeeze a 60gb ssd into your budget
                          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                          Plato

Comment

Although I wouldn't initially be delving in to overclocking, TheMadDutchDude has piqued my interest so I'd want to at least try it down the line.

With that in mind, would items 49755, 49019, 45510 and 43268 be compatible?

Comment

yes they would work fine but if you are going to dabble at overclocking i would really advise a better cooler. they are a great alternative to the stock unit if you want a drop in temps and low noise on those hot sunny days but it would be the part which would halt your overclocking before the cpu ran out of mhz.
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X