HTPC Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
    i've used the i7 sandy cpu in me laptop for bluray playback and not had issue at all.
    I'd be very surprised if you laptop supported 24Hz though? That's where the 24Hz issue crops up.
    For the same price as the asrock fm2 and lowest trinity chip you can get a H61 mini itx, celeron g530 and a gt610, comes out at 110, i doubt wattage used would be anymore and if it was it'd be about 10w.

choices choices.

how much room do you have for a case?
    I'm not sure if the lower end dedicated GPU's will be much better than integrated tbh. AT did a HTPC roundup about a year or so ago and suggested that lowest dedicated GPU you should go for was a GT 440 or a Radeon a few levels up (5/6570 or something) as otherwise decoding tends to be pants as well as dropped frames and so on - they have a benchmark to objectively verify this too.

As for room, the shelves on our stand are big enough for a Phat PS3 to fit under with inches to spare too. width wise, the TV is 42" so plenty of width.

Comment

that review must be pish then as my dads ageing media centre is a core2duo E4300 and a 512mb 8400gs and it plays bluray and 1080p content fine.

i've had plenty of different gpu in various HTPC, from 8400gs to hd4650, admittedly the hd4350 struggled, 9500gt is fine as well.

MPC HT is the best for low end hard ware for 1080p mkv and arcsoft total media theatre for bluray, i had a dual core atom and nvidia ion mini itx as well that worked perfectly, sold it to radial on here as my TV plays everything back off of a 250gb external.

go matx then if you have the room, no cooling issues, can fit a few HDD in there, plus FM2 boards from 39, so its cheaper.

Added after 3 minutes:

Edit:

if a gimped 9400gt on Ion can do it then so can anything else, http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...preview,5.html
      Last edited by El Wayneo; 19-11-12, 19:39.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

[QUOTE=El Wayneo;2172765]that review must be pish then as my dads ageing media centre is a core2duo E4300 and a 512mb 8400gs and it plays bluray and 1080p content fine.

i've had plenty of different gpu in various HTPC, from 8400gs to hd4650, admittedly the hd4350 struggled, 9500gt is fine as well.
        /QUOTE]
        I isn't pish (given it's a technical limitation/quirk) but I won't lie, it's certainly in the same scenario as a dedicated soundcard versus onbaord but once you notice the judder without 24Hz playback it's annoying. 1080p content plays back fine on my monitor, but it still has the associated judder as it only does 60Hz.
        go matx then if you have the room, no cooling issues, can fit a few HDD in there, plus FM2 boards from 39, so its cheaper.
        Maybe, but room wasn't my main concern. It was more the look/shape of it that i didn't want to scream "PC in the living room".

Comment

did you take a look at the silverstone case Sarky linked to? looks good imo.

one of those, A4 5300, MSI A55 FM2, 4gb RAM, bequiet 300W PSU is 188, 10 cheaper if you get free shipping, not bad really.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

did you take a look at the silverstone case Sarky linked to? looks good imo.

one of those, A4 5300, MSI A55 FM2, 4gb RAM, bequiet 300W PSU is 188, 10 cheaper if you get free shipping, not bad really.
            Yeah, it's solid if not spectacular.

I was sort of after a Streacom one but it seems the fanless options only start @ 120+ I guess i could get away with an after-market cooler to dampen the noise of a stock offering but i was sort of set on the whole passive approach Tw other thing where the uATX approach is a lot more attractive means you get to avoid ITX prices.

I'll have to do some more digging and weighing up.

Comment

You could get away with a passive solution if you source a Thermalright AXP 140. Try looking for used parts if budget is really that tight.

I'm slightly confused with the 24Hz aspect though. I mean at home I only use a PS3 as a HTPC with a D-Link NAS so I couldn't comment on a HTPC but I have looked into it in the past.
              Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
              Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
              i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
                I'm slightly confused with the 24Hz aspect though. I mean at home I only use a PS3 as a HTPC with a D-Link NAS so I couldn't comment on a HTPC but I have looked into it in the past.
                Most blu-rays are @ 24(23.976)FPS/1080p. If you have a Tv that supports '24Hz' (like mine) you get the intended moving-image, so to speak. If not, extra frames start getting added in and the image ends up having a light stutter to it. The PS3 supports 24FPS playback FWIW.

As for budget, it's necessarily tight, but i was sort of hoping to hit around 150-200 at most. Now i've started looking that seems slim.

Comment

I *might* be getting rid of my Llano gear but I'll have to get back you tomorrow.
                  {Insert witty comment here}

Comment

A A4-3300 and a 1gb MSI 6450?

I'd go for a A75 board but I'm not selling mine just yet
                    {Insert witty comment here}

Comment

I'll pass anyway thanks. I'm sure it will sell fast, though.

i still need to decide on case etc yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X