Christmas build, 800 budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas build, 800 budget.

I generally know what I'm doing when it comes to builds so really this is just for second opinions. I'll give a description of what the rig is for to help people advise..

Idea is to build this so that games being released Q4 2012 (so Feb-March) are able to be played at basically max graphical settings, probably doable on my current monitors res. Then just to handle future games at decent settings for as long as possible, I'm generally an RTS gamer so clearly they're not that graphically demanding but I do play a select few FPS games, mainly sci-fi titles no Battlefield, CoD etc. These are games such as Dead Space 3, Metro: Last light, Crysis 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines etc. As of now these would be played on a monitor with 1680x1050 res, but come Feb-March I may up to a 1920x1080 monitor. I probably won't be over clocking, or if I do it'll be mild (My current Q6600 runs at 3ghz, but I didn't bother going further, to give an idea.). I want the computer to last as long as possible without it needing upgrades as generally what I do rather then upgrading over time is have the build for a few years until it really cannot handle current gen games. My current build was built 4-5 years ago, Q6600, HD4870 512mb, 4Gb of DDR2. It can still play Crysis and Metro 2033 on high, just not highest settings.

One big decision I haven't had made is whether I get an SSD OR spend that money on a better GPU. It'll be an SSD and a 660ti OR no SSD and a GTX670/HD7970. The fact I want the build as future proof as possible is making me lean towards the better GPU, but I have heard SSD do make for much better boot/load times.

So anyway here's the proposed build (NO SSD version).. (Don't need OS, monitor or peripherals.)

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/dCIZ285QNJXyjKe9NkrDfw,,

If I got an SSD I'd switch the 670 out for this 660ti https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=51602

and then this SSD

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=45660

Thanks for any input folks.
    Last edited by joeyboy; 18-11-12, 18:23.

Well, you've pretty much nailed it imo

Only thing I'd suggest is that the PSU is overkill - a decent 600W would be fine for this build, maybe spend the few extra 's on a slightly improved case

SSD/GPU question comes down to personal preference I guess. SSDs do help with load times but don't help with FPS, so it's up to you where you want to spend the money
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
      Well, you've pretty much nailed it imo
      I've just had a quick look at comparisons and recently it seems new drivers make the HD7970 superior to the GTX670, Is it enough to pick a HD7970?

Hmm the only other case I personally like is the Storm Enforcer https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=44604

obviously cases are down to personal preference, would you say there's anything, bar possibly size, which makes the enforcer beat the Z9?

Comment

z9 comes with lots of fans, as does the z11 if you like the looks.

The Storm Enforcer has the benefit of a 200mm front fan (large fans shift more air with less noise) but really needs a 200mm adding to the roof which adds 10+ to the cost

If you don't mind the looks of the Z11, I'd recommend that

Heard good things about the Carbide 200R/300R but not sure what fans they ship with.
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

*facepalm* I didn't even see the Z11, Aria had it and it disappeared for a short while, I missed it when scrolling down and assumed it was still unavailable. If I get the Z11 it's only a 7 difference so I'll just stick with that PSU I think.

Comment

Z9 is a nice case

I'd go 7950 as it's way cheaper. And the frame difference is nothing.
            Use the money for a 120gb SSD and a decent cooler.
            That 20 cooler won't help with much.
            The North will never forget!

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post
              Z9 is a nice case

I'd go 7950 as it's way cheaper. And the frame difference is nothing.
              Use the money for a 120gb SSD and a decent cooler.
              That 20 cooler won't help with much.
              Hmm yes just looked at online reviews, seems the HD7950 can be OC'd to the default HD7970 settings without even a voltage tweak, which means there's less then a 5% difference between the cards. Compelling..

Would the XFX card aria stocks have a decent enough cooling to cope with the OC from 800mhz to 925mz and 5000mhz to 5500mhz?
              Last edited by joeyboy; 18-11-12, 19:09.

Comment

It should be able to overclock to that without too much of an issue, yeah. It will most likely go higher and reach closer to 1GHz with voltage tweaks.

For what it is worth, I'd get a CM 212 EVO over that cooler. It will cool the CPU much better

I assume you will be overclocking the CPU too. Correct?
                ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by joeyboy View Post
                  I probably won't be over clocking, or if I do it'll be mild (My current Q6600 runs at 3ghz, but I didn't bother going further, to give an idea.).
                  Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                  For what it is worth, I'd get a CM 212 EVO over that cooler. It will cool the CPU much better

I assume you will be overclocking the CPU too. Correct?
                  See above for overclocking... but I agree the 212 EVO is a great cooler for the price
                  --

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                    See above for overclocking... but I agree the 212 EVO is a great cooler for the price
                    Ah I did actually have that in a previous list I'd made up a couple of weeks ago but unfortunately Aria no longer stocks it. =/

Comment

I'm surprised that they don't stock it any more... It is a great cooler. I wonder what the reason behind this is?

Either way, even though you aren't into overclocking, it is much easier with these CPUs than it was with the older chips. You could easily run at 4.4GHz without very much effort at all. Also, there are plenty of us on the forums that can help you with an overclock if you ever get stuck as there are so many of us who actually have SB or IVB.
                      ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Working...
                      X