Gaming upgrade for my brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming upgrade for my brother

So his christmas "request" is PC parts (sad).
    He plays most games, Everything current on the market anyway. BF3 & most MMO's etc. Only 1 Screen this time

His current spec is:
    i7 920
    Asus P6T-SE
    6GB XMS3, DDR3
    Gainward 8800GTX
    Cant remember the PSU but he has a nice branded one already.

So we need to look at CPU, GPU, MB & RAM?
    I chucked this together, https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/40jFoKwfzB3DMcVmfCCW_Q,,
    When you go low down for components there is so much to choose! I would say budget is around 400.
    Any ideas?

Cheers
    Mat

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Spec looks good, although would he need 16GB of RAM?

Comment

The CPU is still pretty decent so how about just a graphics upgrade? Don't know how much of an increase in speed he'll notice from a 920 to 2500k.
      Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
      Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
      i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

You know i was thinking this. Im still running an i7 920 on this PC and its good enough i think.
        Might be better to just get a new GPU & an SSD. That should notice alot!

On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Agreed, just whack a decent GPU in there and job's a good'un. If you can get an SSD in too all the better, but it'll need a re-install.

6GB RAM is still enough imo
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

i would get a gtx 670, some more ram as its dirt cheap any 3 x 4gb to add in, overclock the cpu a little and maybe get a better cooler if you dont haveas they put out some heat.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

If he doesn't already have one, grab a cooler and clock the GPU up to about 3.6-4GHz.

Only thing worth changing is GPU and trying to squeeze an SSD in there,

Comment

Just upgrade the gcard. The 920 is more than a capable CPU especially if you're only upgrading to a 2500K and a lowly GTX650 in the process. And as mentioned, just overclock the CPU.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

get him a nice cooler, and a stonking gpu and he will be laughing.

get that cpu to 4ghz and its solid enough for anything games need and pair it with a 7950 and it will murder any game you wish to throw at it and would even run ok at silly high res too
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

yeah just whack couple GPU's in there instead say 2x 670's or 2x 7950's

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
                      yeah just whack couple GPU's in there instead say 2x 670's or 2x 7950's

Single 670 would be such a huge upgrade on its own... and I'd be surprised if you could find 2 x 670's for 400
                      --
                      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post

Single 670 would be such a huge upgrade on its own... and I'd be surprised if you could find 2 x 670's for 400
                        well add one single 670 then another one later was my thinking

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Ok, we'll he has just thought of something else so it's cut the budget a little. That's ok though as we can still work with it.
                          250 for a new GPU, SSD and some extra RAM. I'm sure I have a noctua cooler kicking round here that will fit that!
                          Would an EVGA GTX660 OC be ok do you think?

Comment

Still a massive upgrade on what he has now

Might be worth dropping the RAM if it means jumping to the GPU range, 6GB is still okay imo.
                            --

Comment

6GB is still fine for gaming.
                              Actually, I'd say it's pretty much the perfect number.
                              Originally posted by andyn
                              Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                              PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                              Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Working...
                              X