Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Attempt at cheap gaming build. Comes to >250 with postage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Attempt at cheap gaming build. Comes to >250 with postage!

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/t52ewuJzVm18kxmv4vLfWw,,

I want it for general use, running Soldier Front, and the CoD Series. BLOPS 2 won't be used much, but if it can run it that's good.
    Soldier Front reqs:
    Windows (R) 98/XP/2000/Vista/Windows 7
    Intel Pentium 3 - 1.0 GHz or equivalent. Intel Pentium 4 - 2.6 GHz or equivalent.
    256 MB (MS Windows Vista and Windows 7 require 1 GB or more) 512 MB or more
    1 GB 2 GB or more
    NVidia Geforce 4 MX 440
    or ATI Radeon 9000
    NVidia Geforce Fx 5700 or better
    or ATI Radeon 9600 or better
    Sound card compatible with DirectX 9.0c

#

Black Ops Reqs:
    Minimum requirements:
    • CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
    • Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
    • Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

Things I have: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, Monitor, OS, HDD. The PSU will only be used for a month, as I can then afford to upgrade it, but for now it will do for a month surely?

Anything I can change/improve for the best budget build possible?

Phenom II X4?? Did you listen to anything said in the other thread? "/

Pentium and cheap graphics card or FM2 is the way to go.
    Originally posted by andyn
    Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
    PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
    Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
      Phenom II X4?? Did you listen to anything said in the other thread? "/

Pentium and cheap graphics card or FM2 is the way to go.
      But surely for this price it's gonna last me a while? The next time I need a new PC would preferably be a year or so down the line, when I can afford something much, much better.

Comment

yeah pentium and cheap z77 if you want to overclock later on, if not get a cheaper B75 motherboard, that way you can just change the cpu later on.

you'll need a better power supply as well those ones arent really rated for gaming.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I'd recommend a trinity based build for that budget.

Something like : https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/kmlOmAAnYalml4IPbkIeNQ,,

Got a decent branded PSU in there, and gone for slightly faster RAM (albeit 4gb, mobo can take 4 sticks so upgradable in future if needed) as I believe the APU benefits from the faster RAM speed as the RAM is used for the on-board graphics
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

But with my build it's got the Quad Core, and a 2GB Dedicated GFX Card?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie View Post
              My build also has a quad-core, and you won't be using anywhere near 2gb vram... the on-chip 7660D will use as much of the 4gb RAM as needed

Your build is fine, and will certainly do the job, I just think the FM2 build is a better match and will give more performance for the budget.
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

the trinity build spaceboy did is also a quadcore and the processor has built in graphics thats similar to the hd6670 you put in yours, although the FM2 trinity platform offers no upgrade path at the moment, yeah you can add another graphics card in but most likely you will need to buy a new motherboard and CPU.

Where as if you go intel then you can just change the CPU later on, all processors arent equal either intel dual cores give AMD quad cores a good run for their money and you probably wont notice any difference gaming.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie View Post
                  So is the A10 build Spaceboy posted above. Also graphics memory doesn't mean much when paired with a low end graphics card like you chose. The A10 in Spaceboy's build is what AMD calls an APU, basically a graphics card and CPU on the same chip, which is equivalent to the Phenom 965 and 6670 (roughly).

Listen to the advice we gave in the other thread.
                  Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                  Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                  i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/404?vs=102

if you look there thats a slightly slower intel pentium dual core than the one you can buy for 46 against the AMD quad you picked, no difference in games.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Sorry guys, I guess it's 'cause I'm not clued up and I'm being sold by the looks of the specs, not knowing what they really mean.

Added after 2 minutes:

In that case, will I need the Quad Core reccomended by Spaceboy, or can I slash the budget and go for : https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=52472 ?
                      Last edited by Stevie; 18-11-12, 11:58.

Comment

yeah no worries mate, they make it confusing with all big numbers and a hundred different things to chose from, thats why its smart to ask.

heres what i would buy, 10 over but it makes sense over a long time, you can upgrade the CPU and GPU for minimal loss, no point buying into trinity to buy a better GPU later on as you have wasted money on the one in the CPU, plus you can add a better intel CPU later that will be miles ahead of AMD CPU for same price.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                          ...although the FM2 trinity platform offers no upgrade path at the moment...
                          Just not true at all.

AMD's own slides point to the next line of APU's working on FM2 - more than whats on offer with Intel.

As for the Intel builds, i'm not sure they're even worth bothering with for Blops 2 if Blops was anything to go by - have 4 cores or go home.

Comment

BLOPS 2 scales fine on two cores, go look at some reviews, if people think trinity is the better option then fine, personally i dont think it is.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

The 5800K is hitting the same FPS as an i3 3220 in the benchmark i looked at so i would say performance is certainly ample.

Comment

Working...
                              X