Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build wont post.

Hi guys,

Just bought myself some new bits as a wee birthday treat for myself, and when I built the machine up it wont post.
    Hardware i bought is as follows:

I have a i5 2400, 16GB Crucial Memory, 5TB hard drives and a GT220 Silent already on hand. (will be a headless server machine, GFX are not important.)

Now when I built the machine, I went and done the stupid thing and put everything into the case before checking the minimum hardware first

PC doesn't even post when powered, I dont get any display on screen and the DRAM_LED light is blinking red and no beeps from the board.
    Tried the machine with 1 ram stick in A2 as advised, A1 and A2, B1, B1 and B2, and ram in all 4 slots, still nothing.
    Tried to press the memOK button on the board but it never posts.
    Tried to clear the CMOS with the CLR RTC jumper and removal of the battery. Still no joy.
    Tried other 4GB sticks of 1333 kingston hyperX, samsung, ADATA, hynix and my crucial memory, still nada.
    Tried 2GB stick of 1333 cheapo ram, Nothing.
    Tried 1GB stick of pc8500, Nothing.
    Tried changing out i5 CPU for identical CPU from my bro, Still nothing.
    Removed all HDDs, GFX and fans. Still nothing.
    Tried breadboarding, Nothing different.

Only thing I've not changed out is the PSU which I will try tonight when I get home from work.

Anything else you can suggest i try? Does this seem like a faulty board? Probably my luck for buying an open box product to try and save some cash. just couldn't say no to 8 SATA ports

Cheers in advance
    James

Might be the board mate.

Comment

Have you tried different sticks in different slots to make sure the ram isn't faulty??

Otherwise this is sounding like a dead Mobo to me. Might need to rma it if everything else checks out ok.

Having said that I wouldn't trust the CIT power supply. I had a 750W one once and it didn't last very long at all

Comment

I'd go with the rubbish PSU being rubbish, or the board being DOA
        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Offt, cheers for the rapid reply guys.

@Snow, Its beginning to look that way to me, numerous other reports on the net of the board being faulty.

@ObscureParadox, Yes i've tried all the sticks in different slots, Different Brands and speeds in different slots and configurations. I've got my OCZ 750W PSU in the house to test it tonight. Didnt wanna rip my PC apart in the process. Hoped the CIT would be decent enough as its jsut gonna be running as a server with no GFX.

One more thought about the PSU. The board has an 8pin ATX connector but the PSU only has a 4. Does this matter or is that really only for the top end i7's?

Comment

Originally posted by stoorty View Post

One more thought about the PSU. The board has an 8pin ATX connector but the PSU only has a 4. Does this matter or is that really only for the top end i7's?
            Well some say it's not important, I think no harm giving it a go before rma.
            CPU: 4670K | CPU COOLER: NH-D14 | MOBO: MSI Z87M-G43 |RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB | GPU: HD4600 | SSD/HDD: Crucial M4 128GB + WD Black 750GB | CASE: Bitfenix Outlaw | PSU: CM Silent Pro Gold 700W | OS: Win7Prox64

Comment

8pin or 4pin is unimportant really, it only supplies power to the cpu. It's an overclocking thing really since an OC'ed CPU will draw more power. I think each 4 pin can supply 150W officially. So using a 4pin should give you more than enough power for an i5 at stock.

Comment

That was my thinking about the 8 pin connector. Like is said, ill try the PSU from my i7 Machine and see how it goes tonight. Just didnt wanna have 3 machines lying in bits just to get this one working. Oh well needs must. Ill try that and the RAM from my machine and if not i will just take it the board is faulty?

Cheers again guys, Just wanted to make sure i hadn't over looked anything in my excitement to build a new rig.

Comment

mobo or PSU it sounds like to me given the testing you've already done.
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Cheers mate, Looks like ill be organising an RMA tonight if my PSU and RAM dont sort it.

Comment

Well it looks like the CiT power supply cant handle it. Plugged in the one from my main machine and all 16gb ram and away it went. Looks like im going to buy a new PSU now.

Cheers for the help guys.

Comment

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=52661
                        Corsair 600T | Asus Sabertooth Z77 ATX | Intel i5-3570k | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16GB | EVGA GTX670 2GB | Mushkin Chronos 240GB

Comment

Originally posted by stoorty View Post
                          Well it looks like the CiT power supply cant handle it. Plugged in the one from my main machine and all 16gb ram and away it went. Looks like im going to buy a new PSU now.

Cheers for the help guys.
                          Wow. I knew the CiT power supplies were naff, but that's impressive Decent branded 500W should be fine
                          --
                          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Most 8pin mobos I have setup have it written in the manuals to connect to left/right if you only have the 1 and it will turn off some features.

I would say the coolermaster gx range are great on a budget, 80+ cert and all that just very basic.

edit - arias 500w psu range is really lacking
                            Last edited by Clockwise; 14-11-12, 18:25.

Comment

Working...
                            X