Powerful Eco-Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerful Eco-Build

So it seems Npower dont like us having high end power hungry PC's as our electric bill has increased by more than double due to one of my housemates having his PC on 24/7 and the other 2 of us using ours quite heavily most of the time we are home.

It got me thinking, would it be possible to build something of similar performance for less power?

At the moment its just at the planning stages, seeing how much it would cost vs how much id save in the long run.

I'd be keeping my current PSU as its gold rated and i'd never get anywhere near its max output so its efficiency will be pretty high. Other than that I dont have any specific requirements other than the need to be as close to my current performance as possible.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

7950s are one of the most eco gpus at the moment. My rig is the same more or less on a 650w psu... I would recheck them efficency tables.

If your flatmates have something like 580s or anything that would be the offender.

What are the other pc specs?

Comment

To lower your consumption I would move the hdd's to a NAS box, get 1600MHz ram, and maybe look at NVidia's gpu power consumption.

Although being realistic the savings will be miniscule
      I'd look heavily at your housemate's rig, and things other than PCs which shouldn't suck that much juice tbh, especially when idle (overnight).
      --
      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Going by what you have atm, an i7 3770S would be good (45W, hyperthreading) or you could even try undervolting your current CPU. Think about what components of your build you don't use, e.g. sound card, hard drives, etc, and consolidate them. E.g. the 2TB into 3TB or something.

GPU is already pretty power efficient with the zero core thing. I'd just do general things like switching off PC's when not in use, I've never seen the point in a PC being left on overnight unless downloading or something.

Also you've made a good choice with that PSU, higher ratings are more efficient at higher loads.
        Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
        Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
        i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Other PC specs:

I5 2500k
          GTX 480 SOC
          8GB 1600Mhz Ram
          Corsair 650W PSU (TX?)
          SSD
          3x HDD's

I5 2500k
          GTX 580 Matrix
          8GB 1600Mhz Ram
          Corsair 800W PSU
          SSD
          5x HDD's
          (This is the one kept on 24/7)
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post

It got me thinking, would it be possible to build something of similar performance for less power?
            Yes, but it's also going to cost.

You could go the uATX route, change CPU (not wholly necessary), RAM, GPU - nearly everything.

Comment

5 x hdd's 24x7 won't help. Think about a NAS, or moving into another machine that gets turned off, or look at the power settings to power-down the drives overnight.

gtx480 is also a bit of a power monster when being thrashed.
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

You have a 580 running 24/7 and a 480 as well.
                I'd guess that 580 is your main problem
                I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
                Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

You could get some 1.35v Corsair Vengeance in white 1600Mhz? and put the hard drives into a low power file server/nas?
                  Last edited by Hayling Laser Sailor; 07-11-12, 17:30.

Comment

Looking at reviews for 480s and 580s on idle they seem to be about 60w each. If you have the wrong drivers or overclock settings it could be more like 120w each and they both peak in the 380w region when gaming.

If your flatmate is folding@home for charity tell him to donate £100s of his own cash and not split his leccy bill with you.

Really would invest in a nas or even one of them microserv things for the hdds. Also sell and upgrade to 2tb+ drives if they have 5x 320gb or something.

Comment

Would the cost of changing components outweigh the savings though?? I mean it's like double glazing, you do save money on your gas bills and what not, but It takes a really long time to make back the money spent in energy savings?

Still I would look to get rid of the 480, even something like a 7850 with one 6 pin connection is a more powerful card!

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureParadox View Post
                        Would the cost of changing components outweigh the savings though?? I mean it's like double glazing, you do save money on your gas bills and what not, but It takes a really long time to make back the money spent in energy savings?

Still I would look to get rid of the 480, even something like a 7850 with one 6 pin connection is a more powerful card!

It wouldnt really cost much - if anything, as selling my old parts would cover most if not all of the cost.

Comment

I'd definitely say the GTX 480 and 580 are to blame here. Very power hungry.

Is there really a need to keep the PCs on 24/7? Especially as they have SSDs. Boot up time is minimal. Turn it on, grab a drink, and before you're even half way down the stairs, it's on.
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

I switch mine off when I go to bed, as does one other housemate.

The housemate with the 580 matrix keeps his on 24/7 for an unknown reason

Comment

Not exactly the answer to the question you asked, but I wouldn't be trying to make my rig eco friendly, I'd be trying to find a polite way of telling your housemate he's taking the ****.

If one person has doubled your bill then really you should say something, or tell him he has to pay a higher percentage than everyone else to account for his extra use.

You could even go as far as to say he has to have one of those in-line electricity 'unit counters' to see how much he's actually using.
                              Intel i5-2500K @ 4GHz | 8GB DDR3 | ASUS GTX 970 | 500GB 850 EVO | Corsair H60 | Fractal Define S | Corsair SP2500 2.1 | ASUS 29" 2560x1080 IPS

Twitter / Instagram / YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X