Graphics card to power supply issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card to power supply issue

My 7950 MSI card has two 6 hole slots to be connected to psu.

However out of my pus I only have 1 6 slot pin....its say pci-e on it.

If I only connect 1 pin is that ok or problematic?

If I need 2 how can I get another pin out my psu?

Is there an adaptor to get 2 in 1 etc.

What I have done and dont know if this is good or bad but i have a 6 pin connector with tow molex ends...I put that in the 2nd slot on the gpu and then from the 2 molex i have a 2 to 1 molex....the 1 end of this molex goes into the main psu molex.

So what I have is

gpu 6 pin with 2 molex>>>>2 molex to 1 molex>>1 molex into psu molex

picture of cable...http://bigbytepc.net/images/molexpcie.jpg

so really questions.

1. Do I need to have both 6 hole slots connected?

2. How can i do this with only 1 current 6 pin connector in my psu

cheers

You do need both to be connected, or else your graphics card will not have enough power to run.

What PSU have you currently got? Brand and wattage?

What is the rest of your system specs?
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
      You do need both to be connected, or else your graphics card will not have enough power to run.

What PSU have you currently got? Brand and wattage?

What is the rest of your system specs?
      520w corsair...

3.5ghz ivybridge intel 5
      2x4gb ddr3 ram

How about what I done....connected 2nd 6pci power slot to pci connecotr 6 pin with 2 molex endings...I then connected 2 molex endings to my a 2 molex-1molex cable..i then put this molex into main psu molex...is this ok?

Comment

I'm not sure that will provide enough power.
        Do you not have 2 spare molex connectors? Avoiding using the 2molex - 1 molex cable, as it will be drawing all the power from the one molex connector then, which I don't think will be able to provide enough juice.

Which model of PSU is it specifically?
        Originally posted by andyn
        Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
        PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
        Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Its HX520w http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/c...-503042326.htm

so you mean i should be putting the 2 molex leads into 2 seperate molex leads coming from my psu?

but i dont even have that many molex from my psu...maybe only 2 or 3 tbh..and they are all used by hard drive, dvd drive etc....

Added after 2 minutes:

I do have a spare 8 pin addapter from my psu maybe i can get adaptor to make it 6?
          Last edited by upgraderbf3; 13-09-12, 15:21.

Comment

need 6 pin male to 8 pin female but can only find opposite! maybe i dont not sure haha...il buy and see

Comment

If you're using IvyBridge, how are you still using IDE drives? That kind of baffles me.

I would look at a new PSU. I would not want to draw that much power through a single Molex connector, especially as it will probably hurt your 12v rail too.
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

The HX520 Should have 2 6-pin pci-e connectors anyway "/ can you take a picture of the side of the PSU the ports are?
                Originally posted by andyn
                Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

8 female to 6 male?

Comment

From a review site quickly pulled from Google:

• 2 x 21" cable for 6-pin PCIe connector
                    • 2 x 31" cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors
                    • 1 x 16" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors
                    • 6" 4-pin IDE to two 12V only 4-pin IDE connectors (meant for fans)
                    • 6" 4-pin IDE to two floppy power connectors
                    • 2 x 25" cables with two SATA connectors

What've you done with the other cables? Why do you require an 8pin to 6pin? Your PSU has two 6pin PCIe power connectors and that is what your card requires.
                    Last edited by TheMadDutchDude; 13-09-12, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
                      The HX520 Should have 2 6-pin pci-e connectors anyway "/ can you take a picture of the side of the PSU the ports are?
                      ill need to put my pc off...do it later..if it has 2 ports does that mean i need to buy another 6 pin to 6 pin ci-e cable?

Comment

the 8 pin (if its the PCIE) might have two pins that detach, to leave you with a 6 pin, though I am not familiar with your PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                          From a review site quickly pulled from Google:

• 2 x 21" cable for 6-pin PCIe connector
                          • 2 x 31" cable with three 4-pin IDE drive connectors
                          • 1 x 16" cable with two 4-pin IDE drive connectors
                          • 6" 4-pin IDE to two 12V only 4-pin IDE connectors (meant for fans)
                          • 6" 4-pin IDE to two floppy power connectors
                          • 2 x 25" cables with two SATA connectors

What've you done with the other cables?

NO idea i bought it from a guy who already built it...those were only cables in...he had only gf x card only needed 1 pci-e 6.

Can I buy new cables?

Comment

So you don't have the other cables which are meant to be supplied with the PSU? You probably can buy them from the Corsair shop but I had a quick look and they're about $8. Whether you can get them from the UK or not, I don't know.

Comment

GUYS!!!! CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRSS>

I looked in the psu box i got when i bought pc of the guy...all cables were in there...so I connected them in and its all sorted.

hahah cheers for letting me know i had no idea about this...now next time I know abll about the psu and how the connectors work

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X