Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currently Building First Gaming Rig - Advice Wanted!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currently Building First Gaming Rig - Advice Wanted!

Hi there! I am half way through building my first gaming rig! (I am only 16 by the way, took me an age to save up my paperound money to buy the components.) Here is what I have currently:

-Biostar TA990FXE Motherboard
    -8GB G-Skill 1600Mhz RAM
    -256GB Samsung 830 SSD
    -250GB Hitachi Deskstar
    -NZXT Phantom 410 (Red)
    -Sony DVD Writer (24x)
    -TP-Link 150MPS Wireless Card

I would just like your thoughts on what I have, and would like some advice on the next steps! I need a PSU, GFX card and a Processor. I am thinking about getting the FX-4100, Radeon 7850 (Maybe the Arianet red one, 2GB) and no idea really about the PSU, would like it to be modular. I am looking for some quite serious gaming, (Replacing an ageing xbox, and for school work mostly!) After it has been built and working I am thinking about getting a 27" BenQ monitor, could anybody give me any opinions on this model, and what they are like?

Thanks for your help!

Not going to lie, you should have gone Intel but we are at this point now so I would say get the FX4200 which is a revision of the FX4100 with a slightly improved IPC as well as some new instructions sets and revised clock speeds or get the FX6200 for hex-core goodness but if you're gaming then quads are the best
    The 7850 is a great card and will run all of the latest games very well at 1080P, as for a PSU as long as it's a decent branded one then you're fine. For that build I would recommend either 650W or 750W if you are planning to run Crossfire in the future.
    This is a very good PSU:http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=46239
    I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
    Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksb4 View Post
      Not going to lie, you should have gone Intel but we are at this point now so I would say get the FX4200 which is a revision of the FX4100 with a slightly improved IPC as well as some new instructions sets and revised clock speeds or get the FX6200 for hex-core goodness but if you're gaming then quads are the best
      To be honest intel is probably better but I think that AMD's processor offerings are decent, and have many friends running FX's and they have had no problems. Any idea of a release date for the 4200? Can't find it anywhere. That PSU looks good, may get that soon. I am going to get the 7850 definitely, apparently it is the sweet point for FPS to $$$. Thanks for you help anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by Mineores View Post
        To be honest intel is probably better but I think that AMD's processor offerings are decent, and have many friends running FX's and they have had no problems. Any idea of a release date for the 4200? Can't find it anywhere. That PSU looks good, may get that soon. I am going to get the 7850 definitely, apparently it is the sweet point for FPS to $$$. Thanks for you help anyhow!
        Intel is a lot better clock for clock however what many people fail to realise is that AMD's CPU's are perfectly adequate for most gaming however if you are running a 7950 for example then you get a massive CPU bottleneck.

AMD took literally months of delaying before they eventually released the chip (The reason people hate it is not so much because it's slower but more because the AMD boys spread the word that they had a real winner and were going to thrash Intel's I series of which of course the 2500K is the king chip) so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same now. I would go ahead and get the FX4100 or get the 960T, sure it's based on the old Thuban architecture but it's actually a very good chip for the money and on the right board it can be unlocked to a hexcore however it isn't on the CPU support list for your board .

Get the 4100 then, shame you are getting it now as AMD's cashback offer just ended yesterday I think.

The 7850 is the sweet spot however it is still slightly overpriced imo apart from the Aria one and the MSI Power Edition one at the reduced price so I would definitely get one, also they have excellent scaling as well
        I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D

Comment

Get the 4100 then, shame you are getting it now as AMD's cashback offer just ended yesterday I think.
          I am fully aware of that... I had 79 in the bank, cheapest with cashback was Amazon's at 80.50, bit annoying to be honest!

Comment

Ah damn that's a shame!

Either way a 4100/7850 setup will be plenty for pretty much every game out there at 1080P.

Comment

Either way a 4100/7850 setup will be plenty for pretty much every game out there at 1080P.
              I hope it will! I have spent enough on it by now and still have about 260 left! Thanks for you help anyway.

Comment

Ha, in the end I went with:

-Corsair 750W Modular PSU
                -AMD FX-4100
                -(My favourite!): HIS Radeon HD 7950 (Reference) Splashed out on that part!

Comment

Might see a bit of bottleneck from the CPU but even so it's still a great system mate!

Comment

Thank you!
                    I plan to maybe 'upgrade' to intel motherboard and processor in a year or so, when I have saved up enough money to get an i5 or maybe an i7, I just went with AMD as I don't have too much money and I obviously didn't want to wait ages to get an Intel processor straight off!
                    Thanks for all your help!

(Looks like I will have to live with the CPU bottleneck on my 7950 for a while, haha!)

Comment

Overclocking the CPU should give you a little more leeway with the 7950.. but it shouldnt be to bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X