Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Gaming PC

Hello all,
    Iím looking at upgrading my pc in the near future, and I would like some much needed advice and help. So basically hereís my rig at the moment:

Msi z77a-g43 motherboard
    Msi amd Radeon r9 390 8g
    Intel core i5-3570k
    Cooler master hyper 212 evo
    Kingston ssd 90gb
    Seagate hard drive 500gb
    Exceleram 8g
    Evga supernova g3 650w PSU

The items Iím looking at upgrading are the Motherboard, CPU, Ram, CPU cooler and maybe the case. Iíve only just bought the 650w PSU, so Iíd like good decent peripherals to comfortably fit the PSU power. So if anyone could be so kind is to maybe finding some gear that would go well and do a grand job in the world of gaming I would really appreciate it. I play games like, wow, arma, fortnite, csgo etc. So a range of games.

Thanks Jake

I would just get newer graphics card an 16GB of ram, no real need to upgrade cpu.

actually scratch gpu upgrade, just checked it's still around gtx 980 performance that card would only be really worth upgrading to 1180 gtx whenever they launch.

you just need more than 8GB of ram an overclock the 3570k.
    Last edited by k3vst3r; 6 days ago.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

What are your reasons for upgrading? If it's because you want more gaming performance, then there's not a lot that's worth upgrading, other than the RAM, as Kev said. A lot of people are in the same boat where, as much as they'd love to upgrade to new toys, it's very hard to justify (apart from GPU) if your system has been bought within the last 5 years or so.

If it's because you just want new toys though, then I'm sure we can help out

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Yeah this rig is 6years old lol. Bought the GPU a year ago so thatís not the problem. Just I feel as though my CPU is dying, and someone told me that the new i7 CPUís wonít fit my current motherboard. What does RAM actually do? And what RAM would you recommend? But Iím taking to pc to get sorted out as it blue screen on my yesterday. So once itís sorted and theyíve fixed the issue I can decide whether to get a new cpu/ motherboard etc. But I could do with some more RAM.

cheers Jake

Comment

In very basic terms, RAM stores all of the information that the computer needs for the programs that are currently running. It's a MUCH faster storage method than a hard drive.

When your RAM gets filled up, it starts swapping the stored information that it thinks it won't immediately need on to the hard drive (using the swapfile), which is much slower and can cause the PC to feel like it's running very slowly. So, as a general rule of thumb, the more RAM you have, the more programs you can have open and your PC is also likely to feel faster.

What makes you think your CPU is dying? If you're getting bluescreens, then the first thing I would try is a reinstall of Windows and a physical clean of the bits inside the PC to make sure things aren't overheating - and seeing as you only have a 90Gb SSD, I'd also take the opportunity to get a new one of those and install it on there instead. 500Gb SSDs aren't too expensive these days!

Comment

Yeah I didnít long ago replace my PSU, so I gave my pc a proper good clean. Hmm thatís not a bad shout about the 500gb SSD. Well I thought maybe being itís rather old I feel as although that could be the death? But again I have no clue lol. So once itís back from repair, I think Iím going to get some more ram. Iím not sure, but can my motherboard take 4 sticks of ram or will I need to get 2 with more gigs of ram?

Comment

Pretty sure your board can take 4 sticks.

Also, just as a side note, my CPU is older than yours and still runs everything fine

I'd go for a bigger/faster SSD, more ram and a clean install of Windows and I reckon that'll solve the majority of the problems, if not all of them

Comment

Roger that! What would I need to do to do a clean reinstall of windows?

Know of any decent RAM and SSD?

Comment

Old SSD out. New SSD in. Personally I'd disconnect the other 500Gb HDD too.

Put disk/usb stick etc etc in the computer, and boot from that.

Follow on screen instructions

When installed, install drivers.

Comment

Right, the computer people have come back to me and said itís a motherboard failure. What do I do now?

Comment

New parts then? cpu, motherboard and ram.

Ryzen 5 2600x?

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=69434

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=69469

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=64809
                      Last edited by k3vst3r; 3 days ago.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

1. If my mother board has died, would that also kill my CPU and RAM?

2. Is my CPU outdated for fitting all the new Motherboards?

3. Can I use my current RAM in the new board?

4. How come you chose AMD Rysen instead of Intel?( I know nothing about CPUís lol, so just curious as I might learn something).

5. Are these good items for the money?

Thanks Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jakehemmings View Post
                          1. If my mother board has died, would that also kill my CPU and RAM? No (probably), but can't be used in new motherboards.

2. Is my CPU outdated for fitting all the new Motherboards? Yes.

3. Can I use my current RAM in the new board? No.

4. How come you chose AMD Rysen instead of Intel?( I know nothing about CPUís lol, so just curious as I might learn something). Best bang for buck (probably)

5. Are these good items for the money? I doubt k3vst3r would recommend bad value items!!

Thanks Jake
                          For the bits you can't use, best sell them and try to recoupe some dosh!
                          R.
                          FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
                          "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Comment

Okay thanks for all your help so far, itís a right pain all this has happened, but I guess thatís life!

Comment

Perhaps read review of the 2600x, it wins great value award. If you can afford it though 2700x is king of performance though.

Intel got lazy an basically AMD has caught them right up this generation.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html

Comment

Working...
                              X