All in one NAS/Home server build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in one NAS/Home server build

Hey guys I was looking some advice on building a mini NAS/all in one home server.

I'm looking into buying an In Win MS04-01 case, this is a mini ITX case so I will need that form factor.

I'm most likely going to be running this using UNRAID so my idea configuration would be atleast 4 core CPU but ideally an 8 core is what I'm ideally looking, around maybe 32gb ram but I probably wouldn't mind more but it depends on price. As I'll be running VM's so I will need either on-board graphics or a half height graphics card. As the case supports ATX power supplies I might switch out the one that comes with the case to a modular one but it depends.

Just hoping for some ideas.

EDIT - Budget for the build would be around 1000 with maybe 1 or 2 SSD's for cache and 4 drives

Thanks, Mr. Pineapple
    Last edited by Mr. Pineapple; 19-01-18, 16:55.

Sorry can't help with the build.. but people who can will probably want to know a budget?
    FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
    "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Comment

Thanks R1gg4, I'm hoping for something around 1000 but ideally I would want either 1 or 2 SSD's for cache, also 4 hard drives I'll probably go for WD reds or Seagate Ironwolf drives

Comment

Couple of questions...

1) What will your VMs be doing? If they're just fileserving, do you really need SSDs as well as HDDs?
        2) Are you dead set on buying MiniITX? You could probably do a more flexible build/have a better choice of parts for the money if you went for a more universal build?
        3) Have you thought about getting a server prebuilt? See below:

I'm about to buy a server for work. It's a refurbished server from Dell, but it comes with a 2 year advance replacement warranty. It's based on a 2 CPU, 12 core, 24thread, 2.8Ghz Xeon CPU. 96Gb ram. I'm not buying any storage for it, as I already have a couple of terabytes of SSDs that are going in there. But in total, I'm spending about 700. Might be worth thinking about?

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
          Couple of questions...

1) What will your VMs be doing? If they're just fileserving, do you really need SSDs as well as HDDs?
          2) Are you dead set on buying MiniITX? You could probably do a more flexible build/have a better choice of parts for the money if you went for a more universal build?
          3) Have you thought about getting a server prebuilt? See below:

I'm about to buy a server for work. It's a refurbished server from Dell, but it comes with a 2 year advance replacement warranty. It's based on a 2 CPU, 12 core, 24thread, 2.8Ghz Xeon CPU. 96Gb ram. I'm not buying any storage for it, as I already have a couple of terabytes of SSDs that are going in there. But in total, I'm spending about 700. Might be worth thinking about?
          The SSD's will cache and also host the VM's just for speed rather than waiting for unraid to spin up the drives.

1. I'm planning on having a windows 10 VM for possible light gaming, and a few test VM's such as linux, hackintosh and windows server I'll also be using dockers for emby
          2. The problem is I want something small and compact, as I live in a studio I don't have much room atm so a mini ITX build suits me also the hot swap drives on the case I'm looking at is ideally what I'm after
          3. I've got a small 1u server and actually had two dell servers which I sold, the noise and also space is an issue for mem, I did want to get a 12u open rack but with not enough space due to the flat layout to put this where the modem is for virgin and also the fact my GF would probably kill me if I brought a rack but I'm quite limited on my space as my shelve in the flat which had my switch on etc fell off the wall (it wasn't put up probably when I moved in so I didn't think it wouldn't support the weight of the switch
          Last edited by Mr. Pineapple; 20-01-18, 10:01.

Comment

Working...
          X