Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec me a new build...

Hi,

As a follow-up on a bit of a joke-y comment about older CPU's being hit by the Meltdown/Spectre shenanigans, thought I'd ask for advice here about a shiny new rig

I haven't kept up cpu / mobo tech since I built my current 3930K rig, so I'm way out of touch, and looking for some good starting points.

Don't mind Intel or AMD.

I'd keep my GPU (1080Ti), SSDs and power supply, so I would need a CPU, Mobo, RAM, and cooler (no water jobbies pls).

It'd need to compare to the current rig, so needs to be particularly beasty, with a minimum of 16Gb RAM, possibly 32Gb for giggles. No budget for now, just curious about what can be done.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Wait until March/April, AMD launching 400 series motherboards an Ryzen 2 chips on 12nm process with higher overclocks. DDR4 is quite expensive now as well, talking 200 ish for 16GB an 300+ for 32GB.

AMD talks of 10% improvement clock for clock over current Ryzen chips an if they manage to raise overclocks to 4.4GHz+ range that's another 10% on top.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Yeah it's not something I'm gonna rush out and buy tomorrow lol, I'm really just after an broad update on what's the current high spec mobos, what's good value / bad value etc.

Interested in ryzen definitely, didn't know about 2 so that's something to read up on
      turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Zen 3 is like 2020 built on 7nm+

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd...confirmed.html

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Intel will likely be on 4-2nm by 2020, limit of silicon is coming very fast. Unless they reach the singularity before then, the design of CPUs/hardware will start undergoing radical redesigns. Trans-superscalar I would assume ;D

Comment

nobody will be under 7nm by the end of this decade

i think my next build is going to be amd, mainly as i have been using intel for over a decade now and amd have something worth while again so i want to give them some money
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

Any normal builds that don't include waiting for 1nm process, or trans-superscalar shenanigans?

How's threadripper?

Comment

It's a beast, but their apparently v2 coming when ryzen 2 launch. I myself would definitely wait the 3 month to grab 1180 GTX or something along those lines and Ryzen 2.

Comment

Working...
                X