Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spare parts- flog as parts or build into a system and sell that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare parts- flog as parts or build into a system and sell that?

Hi guys
    So I have an odd question... after many years of building and upgrading and upgrading, and upgrading... I have a rather large "stash" of old parts lying around.
    of course most are too old to be worth anything except as museum pieces (and might be considered "retro" in a few years) but a few bits are still capable of becoming useful systems for some people.

My Ryzen build means I'm going to have a glut of Socket 775 parts which on their own probably won't be worth much, but at what point does it become worthwhile building into "cheap desktops" or entry level gaming PC's?

Can I reasonably expect a Q6600 or Phenom II X4 based system to sell for enough to cover the cost of building it up and earning me more than if i'd just sold the original parts on 'bay or MM instead?
    (one example I came up with would need approx a 120 spend and sell for nearly 200 just to break even on what I'd (maybe) get for the initial parts...

do people on gumtree etc actually pay that much for entry level second hand systems?

I know a few people in here do that but it seems to be off the back of already established services.

Also I'm well aware that I've been quite vague and the answer will of course be a solid "It depends" but it's more of a request for what sort of things people buy as complete systems.

Cheers
    Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
    [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Depending on the GPU I have been selling Q6600/8GB/500GB systems (inc KB, mouse and Monitor) on Facebook Selling groups for upto 300.

Even something like a Dell Vostro 220 (E6750/2GB/160GB with a Dell 19"/KB/Mouse gets me 90 (Wife's currently delivering that one now!)

I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Ok sounds worthwhile then. I have a variety of 775 CPU's or an AM2+ board (cpu to purchase prob a phenom ii x4) to pair with 6850's that will soon be spare, but do you bill them as light gaming or office/casual gaming?
      [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

sell the parts to wonderlust if he's getting that money for machines.

I know they are not custom, but I've done some refurbs recently on a 4Gb x2 HP/Compaq/Zoostorm machines and have sold at a price to get rid, between 30 and 60. I was happy to save them from landfill as was given the opportunity to pick from an building clearance. Realistically though, you really only just about cover costs of time and effort.
        Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
          Realistically though, you really only just about cover costs of time and effort.
          well that right there is my worry.
          A friend of mine seems to get similar results as WL maybe not quite as good but he flips job lots regularly, but as a one or two off i can't really chance spending money to potentially make back less than i would have just selling the parts.

If I can be fairly sure that a "light gaming/office/productivity" PC can sell for around 250-300 then it's worth me spending 120-30 on the needed parts to make a somewhat desirable system. for instance:
          (sorry if I'm borrowing heavily from your last build wonderlust but it's what's inspired me to do this...)

have: (approx ebayable values on brackets)
          various Socket 775 motherboards and xeon x3360/C2Q/D CPU's (30-50)
          or
          AM2+ board (10-20) P-II x4 955 (30-40)
          DDR2 RAM (4Gb - 10-20 depending on which sticks)
          6850 GPU (25-30)
          HDD (10-15)
          DVD drive (close enough to 0 to not be worth selling)
          support bits and pieces, cables etc from the big-box-O-cables

need:
          shiny case (20)
          PSU (all my spares are non-psu's or spoken for, ~25 for something not explodey and 500W)
          keyboard/mouse (15 ebay)
          windows (10-20 legit key)

so depending on which components i use, I'm looking at about 80 - 100 spend to house ~100 worth of bits.
          If I sell those 100 of bits on ebay, I'll get less than that because charges, and a buttload of time spent listing, packing and trekking to the P/O.
          If I can sell a complete system for anything over 200 then I'll spend time building the system and anything over about 180 is earned compared to parts on ebay...

seems viable... if i can't sell it I can always video the build and youtube it
          [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

I may have to list the mass of DDR2 I have in a drawer, was teaching a work experience person the other week about the importance of MEMTEST so all have been checked
            Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
            Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Ddr2 is always in demand from the place I work at, so chances are I'd get a load from you!
              Last edited by Aaron; 12-01-18, 09:16.

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
              X