New build for the kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build for the kids

Thinking of getting the kids their own PC here for Christmas.

Got monitor and peripherals so just need the base unit.

Pretty basic stuff needed, but would like the option of being able to put in a half-decent (100) gpu in the future so the case/psu should support that.

So do I buy "off-the-shelf" of build my own? Only ever built my own before, but I'm thinking a prebuilt might be better value at the lower end.

Budget around 250 or less. O/S a bonus, but I might have a spare Win7 licence somewhere if I can dig it out
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

be careful on some of the lower spec machines in that price range, many don't have pci-e slots for future upgrades!

Pre-built advantage is all about the licensing / software
    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Depends what they'll be doing on it I guess but could start off with one of those refurbs Aria do maybe? Will come with Windows. You would have to do some research on the model to see if the motherboard/case/PSU would support future upgrades you're interesting, and if not factor the additional cost of replacing them.

To be honest I don't have enough experience of the low end to know how good a deal they are, but some have i5's and come with Windows for under 150, seems alright.
      i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Yeah, windows included is a nice bonus!
        Even without it's hard to beat the price, gonna have to flex the old spec muscles again
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Looking at 350 notes for a self-build Ryzen 3 build :'(
          Can rustle up some storage for this.

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/l2f6-pAceRBSY2a9VqUMaA,,
          Last edited by Spaceboy; 11-12-17, 22:37.
          --

Comment

100 for DDR4, when did that get so expensive!?

Originally posted by Aria
            On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

I did a nice little unit for my parents only a few weeks ago, HP 3125 that had windows licence. Popped in a new PSU and a GTX460 and the thing was capable of playing Overwatch at pretty reasonable settings! That was some AMD triple core that I boosted to 8Gb.

I think the whole thing was under a ton in parts.
              Forum Guidelines here

Comment

That might be an option DT, thanks
                --

Comment

This doesn't look too bad! https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=68681

Looks like it'll take a proper GPU too with custom psu providing 1 x PCIe 6pin power.

Bit confused how the reviews say it has 2 CPUs with each cpu having 3 DIMM slots - yet Aria description states 4GB ram
                  --

Comment

you're thinking new tech, go back to dual socket boards where each cpu socket had dimms per socket, so slot 0,1,2=-cpu1 and slot 3,4,5 = cpu2

Maybe that's it
                    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                      you're thinking new tech, go back to dual socket boards where each cpu socket had dimms per socket, so slot 0,1,2=-cpu1 and slot 3,4,5 = cpu2

Maybe that's it
                      Oh yeah, I'm there with the old tech - just expect it to have a multiple of 3 for RAM, 3x1GB or 3x2GB (they apparently shipped with 12GB). 4GB is just... odd
                      --

Comment

single cpu installed and 2x2 sticks I would have thought as part of the refurb, I've had identical refurbs turn up with entirely different ram configs, but same overall amount - all depends what passes memtest
                        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Working...
                        X