Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade for VMs

Afternoon all,

Been a while since I've been here again, back for some quality advice.

I've got this machine that has been acting as a file server basically, only a dual core 1155 in a B75M-D35H with 4gb of RAM & I think about 2 TB storage.

I've been playing a lot with VMs this last year or so on my main rig & ultimately want to upgrade the file server to handle the VMs.

Been looking at buying an i5 2500t as they're relatively cheap & adding another 12GB of ram, along with another 2TB storage & a 500GB for the VMs, do you think that this would be sufficient for a half decent VM machine?

I want to virtualise the fileserver & probably have a webserver, along with media streaming capability & a VPN server aswell, also what host OS would anyone recommend, I'm pretty good with Linux & was thinking of using Debian.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ash.
    i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

If you're looking at that sort of CPU, I'd probably go for the i5 2600 as you can then make use of HyperThreading which can only help when running VMs.

After that, lots of ram and then fast hard drives.

I'm in a process of building a new VM host at work. I'm currently running a Xeon CPU from around the same era, 16Gb RAM and then a 250gb SSD for the host OS and 2Tb SSD for the VMs. The 2Tb SSD is pricey, but it's really made things run lovely and smooth, even when running few VMs at the same time.

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Thanks for the response man =)

The i7 2600 didn't even cross my mind! That would be much better equipped as you say with the HyperThreading, and it's only a few bones more than the i5's. Definitely worth it I reckon.

On the ram side of things I'll just start off with the 16gb then add more if & when needed.

That sounds like a neat build you've put together there man, those huge capacity SSD's are painfully expensive, but I'm sure it will pay for itself with that buttery smoothness lol.
      i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

Comment

Yeah. The eyes were watering a little bit when I sent the purchase order over. Arias hands were rubbing together with glee though..

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

The benefits of owning a company I guess! I bet Mr Aria was more than happy

Comment

Working...
          X