Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To build, or not to build..

Hi all..

My PC's been running for a long time now, circa 5 years and I'm starting to think about it as it's usually every 4-5 years that I put together a new machine. I've never bought top of the line, always tended to opt for upper middle of the road 'best bang for buck'. The question this time is twofold as I am actually mostly happy with the computer for the games a currently play (dota2 almost exclusively). It does drop frame rates every now and then though and I can't run it on max settings smoothly which I'd like to do.

Current specs:

Intel i5 2500k
    Zotac mITX mobo
    Mushkin DDR3 8GB
    Silverstone Steel Series 600w modular PSU
    MSI GTX560 Ti TwinFrozr
    120gb SSD main drive where all OS/games are installed too.

So..

Option one, fully new machine, with a budget of £800

or

Upgrade GPU.. maybe more RAM & larger/secondary SSD. If going this route, I'd probably only want to spend about £500, but could stretch to more if there's compelling reasons to do so.

Which route would you go and what would your choices be?

I was in an almost identical position - except an i7 2600k, and I was playing 1440p so had a greater GPU need.

Anyway - a RAM upgrade to 16GB and a GPU increase have convinced me that my current set up are fine.

£500 should get you 16gb RAM (£100ish if you get a matching set of 8GB sticks, or £60ish if you have 2 free slots and want an 8GB kit to add to your existing)
    An Nvidia 1060 6GB (roughly £250) should be an excellent upgrade on your current GPU and will easily be able to use your existing PSU
    That leaves you with £150 of your budget which could get you a snappy new Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD. £130 on special on Aria right now.

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=62666
    https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=67762
    https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=64451

Those 3 would set you back £470, and set your PC forward into 2018...
    Originally posted by coiler
    the trails is where life flows best
    Originally posted by coiler
    Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

In a similar situation here : 3570k, 16GB, 270X

I'd go for the ram + gpu now, and look at any overclocking options on the 2500k.

The alternative as you know is the whole mobo/cpu/ram combo in addition to the other bits... so you may as well get the ram / gpu first and see how it fares (you can always look at the 2nd hand market for shifting ram on after)
      --
      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

This should help resolve your question.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...orthwhile.html

Basically if your gaming 2600k is within 5% of a 8700k @ 1080/1440p with 1080 gtx, basically all you need is 16GB RAM and 1070 gtx or better GPU.

The problem with Coffee Lake is its price to performance ratio for gaming if you are on anything resembling a reasonable budget. The i7-2600K paired up with a GTX 1070 proved to be a very, very potent combination particularly at higher resolutions where it matched up evenly against the i7-8700K. Iíll even go out on a limb and recommend avoiding Coffee Lake unless you absolutely need the additional connectivity offered on the Z370 platform. The framerate uplift just isnít there and the money you save could easily be put towards a better GPUÖ.and an all inclusive vacation.
        Last edited by k3vst3r; 05-11-17, 21:17.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Thanks k3vst3r, that's a really helpful link! Nice to see some info on what it's like clocked too. I don't even run my cpu OC'd at the moment to be honest as I never felt the need this time round with the games I tend to play, so I guess I could get some benefit from that in terms of feeling like I've upgraded. Also a great point there Spaceboy that I hadn't considered. If I pick up a strong GPU I should be able to replace the rest of the system at a later date and in the meantime it looks like the GPU/RAM upgrade will do what I need for now. Following that mantra, I think I might ditch the SSD off the list and put the extra cash into the GPU. I've got a 1tb standard drive for general files/games I'm not so fussed about.

Time to get hunting through the aria webshop!

Comment

Only downside with RAM upgrade, is that when you replace cpu/mobo you'll need DDR4 as well, so that'll hurt a little, depending on how well ddr3 shifts 2nd hand
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

8gb for most is fine, but the new Fall update windows does show a lot nicer task manager breakdown.

Spend the £500 entirely and exclusively on the GPU - you can take that into the next build you make, if you do ever need to.

DT.
              Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
              Forum Guidelines here

Comment

I would just upgrade the GPU and see where you are at then. If you buy another 8GB RAM then decide you want to upgrade the CPU, you won't be able to use the RAM. Anyway 8GB RAM will be fine for most games I imagine.
                i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll take that advice and sink it all into the GPU - I can't really find any decent RAM to match my mobo limitations (1333) for sensible money (considering the upgrade it would bring) anyway. It's also really appealing that I will be able to take the GPU into a newer build with me if/when required as it should hopefully still be very relevant.

I guess the remaining question is whether to go on the bottom end of the 1080 scale or the top end of the 1070 card. I'll have a dig through the GPU section!

Comment

end of this month, expect a bun-fest of deals and offers for Black Friday ..... that's what I'm waiting for
                    Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                    Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
                      This should help resolve your question.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...orthwhile.html

Basically if your gaming 2600k is within 5% of a 8700k @ 1080/1440p with 1080 gtx, basically all you need is 16GB RAM and 1070 gtx or better GPU.

Interesting article, makes me happy as my PC spec is almost exactly that, i7 2600k (mild overclock) 16GB and RAM and EVGA 1070 gaming at 1440p.

I upgraded my GPU from crossfired ATI 6950's to this EVGA 1070 and it was like having a whole new PC. I can run most games fine.

On topic - the article also mentions this, but you may start hitting bottlenecking issues/minimum frame issues with a GTX1080 - I mean by all means if you got the cash, and particularly if your thinking of taking that to a new system crack on, but may be something to consider.
                      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

So, following on from this and more hours trawling reviews and the net, I am left again with two choices/paths.

Do I...

1. drop the coin on a £650 1080 Ti, which will be used again later in a newer build.

2. Plump for a 1070 Ti on offer for hopefully under £400 and try to get a g-sync IPS 1440p monitor.

Currently have a dell IPS 24Ē full hd screen with 60hz and 6ms respectfully, so the screen would be a small increment in resolution/quality and most seem to rave about AFR screens.

Comment

£650 on a 1080ti .......
                          posted by scrivz69
                          I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                          i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Any thoughts to back up the decision joker? I know thereís a big difference in performance but I was wondering if I will actually get the benefit of that if Iím only using my current screen?

Comment

you will get the benefit now and in the future..... I have a 1080 GTX G1 Gaming works out cheaper for me to get another and SLI or I would have the Ti ...then the 4k 40 inch Monitor is the next investment..Currently running a 40 inch 2k Monitor. every game maxed out with the single 1080.
                              posted by scrivz69
                              I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                              i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Working...
                              X