Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU/MOBO/Ram upgrade

Hi all,

My now 6 year old PC is starting to feel old and struggles with my new resolution (3440x1440) and Oculus rift. I've swapping my 2 gtx 970 for a 1 gtx 1080. However I think it's time I upgrade my CPU. I'll mainly be using my pc for gaming either in ultra wide or in VR.
    This si what I currently have:
    - I5 2500k running at 4.5Ghz
    - 16GB HyperX fury
    - cooler https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=43268
    and my mobo is https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=44075

What would you recommend? Also I have 2 SSD, 1 HD, 1 blu ray player, 1 DCD writter (that i never use) and the case is an NZXT Phantom.

Budget is around 500 but I can add more if it's really worth it.

The main games I play are Guild wars 2, Elite dangerous, and obvisouly some VR titles.

for those older games a 7700k is the best cpu but looking forward maybe ryzen, or the soon to be released coffeelake cpu, will serve you best.

the latter 2 options would probably be the better choice long term as the 6 and 8 cores will just get more and more use. while the 4 core skylake option will get bloated by newer games which are designed to use more cores. that is assuming you're looking to get around the same self life from this upgrade as your current build?

that being said i aint sure how much the overclocked sandy will be holding back the 1080?

have you tried pushing your overclock to see if it gets you much more fps ingame?
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

Just found some videos of benchmark on youtube.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTHgTCcnMVM
      at 4k the CPU seems to be running at 80/90%. Is there any need to upgrade? would I actually see a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Sidistic View Post
        Just found some videos of benchmark on youtube.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTHgTCcnMVM
        at 4k the CPU seems to be running at 80/90%. Is there any need to upgrade? would I actually see a difference?
        Originally posted by luke22 View Post
        that being said i aint sure how much the overclocked sandy will be holding back the 1080?

have you tried pushing your overclock to see if it gets you much more fps ingame?
        idk

have you tried increasing/decreasing your cpu speed to see if it has much impact on the fps?

in terms of raw cpu power i think skylake might be around 20% more ipc, which will give you a bump but how noticeable that will be to you...

the real gains on these newer intel platforms really come from the ram and storage devices you can use. the better usb devices, nvme and high speed ddr4 all help make them feel faster to use.

but as you seem to have seen, for you, at that res, you're fps is really still limited by your gpu.
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

3440x1440 is a pretty high resolution for gaming, I would suspect the GPU is what's holding that back. I wouldn't expect the CPU to be the bottleneck as resolution increases.

Personally I would either look at Ryzen (although I'm not sure how much single core performance you would get over an i5 2500k, but you would get a lot more threads), or wait for Intel 8-series. You should get a decent improvement but not nearly as much as you might expect from a 6 generation jump... Sandy Bridge was just that good!
          i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

I am scratching my head and really am tempted by the ryzen 6, however rumours are that the new intel will be out next month, so for the sake of a couple of weeks, it might be worth waiting.

Would you recommend installing a water coolings system or just fan?

Comment

Yeah I would wait. I have a 2500k too and I'm waiting just to see what the options are.

Cooling would depend on what you buy but for the most part air coolers are more cost effective and often quieter.
              i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

ok, so I've received my GTX 1080ti EVGA FTW3 this afternoon, quickly fired the witcher 3 on ultra at 3440x1440, I believe i've reached a bottleneck lol.

So yeah on the intel side of life i'll wait for coffee lake, however can anyone advise for a Ryzen build? I'll need new ram, new ssd (i have the old 2.5" ones), obvisouly new motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler (air or AIO) and a really good mid atx case with tempered glass on the side. I'd like the build to look pretty good on my desk and around 700?

Comment

You don't need a new SSD unless you want one. I'm not clued up on NVMe etc. so I can't advise you on that.

For Ryzen you probably want the 1700 from what I've read. Beware though that Ryzen doesn't have the same single core performance as Intel so it won't be as good for most games. It will be better if you do streaming while playing I expect, also better for selected productivity tasks such as rendering and I suspect compiling and using VMs.

For RAM you need DDR4 and I think Ryzen prefers faster RAM but I would do some Googling see what people are recommending.

Motherboards it's AM4 socket and I would just go for the premium chipset (X370 or B350 if you don't need the extra features) then just pick a board you like that has the stuff you want (e.g. number of USB ports, M.2 slots, RGB lights).

For a cooler I think the 1700 stock cooler is well rated, beyond that you could go for a Hyper 212 (decent bang for buck) or something more expensive if you're going for looks (personally I have the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3). I wouldn't bother with AIO they are just louder to achieve the same temps (or worse).

Case, any that will fit the motherboard you choose and you like the look of. Plenty of options and as always read some reviews before buying.

Comment

If I do get ryzen I'll striaght away OC it to 4Ghz if I can or as close to that as possible. Thanks for the advise

Comment

Working...
                    X