This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Builds - how to get the best advice from Forum Members

I thought I'd start a thread so new (or regular!) members who are looking for a new system and requesting advice can get the most out of us forumites.

Getting help speccing a new PC
    Firstly, welcome to the New Build Advice forum! To get the best advice out of us, have a read through this. The two most important things we consider before making a spec for you are;

1. Your budget
    This will define most people's builds. The vast majority of people will want to include VAT and non-free delivery in this, so if you do have free delivery or don't pay VAT, please make this clear.

2. Planned uses of the new build
    If you are visiting these forums, chances are you are an enthusiast and probably want a machine capable of gaming or video-encoding or something equally demanding. That's not to say simple office PCs aren't welcome in here though! Some popular requirements include simple office work/web browsing, photo editing, browser-based gaming, music production, video editing, enthusiast gaming, overclocking and benchmarking. However, some people just want a general, all-round system that's upgradeable too - but if you have an idea of what you'll be doing, list it as between us we usually know what the best components are for your particular uses.

Initial Build Requirements
    Though not everyone will be in this position, some people will come in here with a rough idea of what they want. This might include particular brand preferences for CPUs/GPUs/PSUs, all the way up to an almost-finalised build which just needs checking over.

If this is you, you might find the template below useful... Feel free to copy and paste and either add in URLs to components from Aria [Disclaimer: please note the forum rule that you must not link to competitor's products] you wish to include, or if not a brief note about what you'd prefer... e.g.
    [CPU]I've heard good things about Intel's Extreme Edition range, and would like one of them in my build!
    Here's the list:
    Code:
    [CPU]
    [Mobo]
    [CPU HSF]
    [RAM]
    [GPU]
    [HDD]
    [SSD]
    [PSU]
    [Case]
    [OS]
    [Extras]
    Again, if you have no idea what you want and just want to see what we come up with for a spec, just leave this out.

Other information/Next steps
    There's several things worth knowing about before proceeding with your order.
    1. You can also call up Aria's excellent sales team, if you'd prefer order by talking to someone. Their number is 0844 999 2499.
    2. Aria can build your PC too. You'll find that in almost all cases, a PC built by Aria is far better value than the absolutely massive computer builders. You can call them on the above number, or we can alert an appropriate member of staff to your thread if this is something you would like.
    3. Aria do a price matching service! If you have seen a product cheaper elsewhere, mention this in your thread (don't link to competitor's products in the threads, however), or PM one of the following;
    4. If it doesn't turn on first time, don't panic. Grab a cuppa, put your feet up for 10 minutes, and come back to it. This thread has some very useful information. However, if something is DOA (Dead On Arrival), you might find Aftersales useful to call up: 0844 999 8 999. We can also usually help diagnose problems on here too, though if you call up a member of the Aria team, their advice takes priority.
    5. If everything does go well, feel free to show off your handiwork in the "Show us yours" forum... many frequenters of this forum don't mind spending time speccing you a system and helping out, and our reward is usually in hearing if you are pleased with it and seeing the final product!
    6. If you have anything else you need to know about, just ask! There's always someone who will know how to help you out.

Hope this has helped!
    [Mods: Feel free to edit as appropriate]
    Last edited by NickCPC; 21-03-11, 09:39.
    Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
    Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

No private PM's to aria staff??
    CPU / Processor:i5-650 CPU Cooler titan fenrir evo Motherboard: asus p7h55-m pro Memory: ballistix 4gb (2x2gb) Hard Drive(s): seagate 1Tb & crucial 64gb ssd Graphics Card: asus gtx 460 768mb OS: Windows 7 64bit Case antec 300

Comment

Worthy of a Stick IMO

Comment

Originally posted by BOBBANKBOY View Post
        No private PM's to aria staff??
        Only PM them for price matching not one to one help

Comment

Originally posted by Smifis View Post
          Worthy of a Stick IMO
          Agreed, and done

Comment

I'm pretty much sorted with the following If I add a GeForce GT 220 to the following

Asus P7H55-M.
            CPU: Intel i5 650.
            RAM: 4gb
            Optical Drive: Sony AD-7260S-0B
            HDD: 500gb or 1Tb
            Case: Cooler Master Elite 335
            PSU: Corsair 500 watt

will the psu be enough to power the pc?
            CPU / Processor:i5-650 CPU Cooler titan fenrir evo Motherboard: asus p7h55-m pro Memory: ballistix 4gb (2x2gb) Hard Drive(s): seagate 1Tb & crucial 64gb ssd Graphics Card: asus gtx 460 768mb OS: Windows 7 64bit Case antec 300

Comment

quite easily mate, you have enough for a decent gpu also.
              5GHZ!

we are one.

Comment

need new gaming rig

need to build a gaming rig cash to spend £650
                reason for new rig is my son wants my rig so i dont need to buy him xmas prizzy

case
                mobo
                cpu
                ramx 6 gig
                hdd x 2
                Graphics Card
                Sound Card
                Gaming Mouse
                Gaming Keyboard
                Cooler
                22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Retail
                psu

all suggestions and help would be helpfull and gr8tfull

Comment

Originally posted by gibbo 69 View Post
                  need to build a gaming rig cash to spend £650
                  reason for new rig is my son wants my rig so i dont need to buy him xmas prizzy

case
                  mobo
                  cpu
                  ramx 6 gig
                  hdd x 2
                  Graphics Card
                  Sound Card
                  Gaming Mouse
                  Gaming Keyboard
                  Cooler
                  22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Retail
                  psu
                  make a new thread mate, you'll have better luck
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

cheerstake your advise

Comment

Upgrade for my aging PC??

Id like some advice, Ive got an aging system, but im happy with it and simply cant afford a big upgrade atm.

Current PC

Asus P5LD2-X/1333 motherboard
                      Core 2 Duo E4600 + Freezer Pro 7 Cooler
                      Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1gb DDR2
                      Sound Blaster Audigy 2
                      WD 500gb sata hd
                      OCZ Vertex 2E SSD 64gb
                      ATI 4850 + Artic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro Cooler
                      Fractal Design Define R3 white case ( bought from aria, love it )
                      XP Pro SP3

As you can see the recent upgrade was the SSD, thought was nice to have instant OS boot up. Was looking at ebay to upgrade my motherboard to a better 775 one so I can OC more and possible get more speed out of my SSD, it doesnt quite max out on my current chipset.

The gigabyte X48 looked like nice mb with good chipset ( X45 ) but its prob 50 quid min on ebay.

Perhaps I should just get 2nd hand processor?

Also Im trying to get very quite system, hence the new case,SSD and my VGA cooler, it seems the GPU makes the most noise, the case fans at 45% are virtually silent.

I think Im just looking to tinker at something, possibly not a good thing lol.

Any advice appreciated, my budget is super limited, £50-£80 quid or so. With XP im limited to 3gb ram as well atm..have to wait to get windows 7, wife prob study soon again so could get cheap then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finchy

Comment

With a BIOS flash that board will probably support a 45nm CPU like the E5/7/8 series, but not any quad cores. Up to you if you consider that a worthwhile upgrade. I wouldn't advise buying a new board and CPU on 775, it's too outdated.

Comment

Finchy ...CPU list for your board

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P5LD2-X_1333.html
                          posted by scrivz69
                          I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                          i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

if your ever building a computer if your on a tight budget go with AMD they are very cheap and good enough if you want to go for that little extra go with INTEL if going crazy with money
                            Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 = AMD FX-6100 = MSI GTX 550Ti = Corsair Vengeance 8GB ram = OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD Boot Drive = 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue storage drive = Samsung Blu-ray drive = Antec 1200 V3 = ThermalTake SpinQ

Comment

Hello help please

Right, firstly I haven't built a PC from scratch for over 7 years. So I've been asking around for a decent set up in the £500 region finding that I would have to stretch my budget somewhat. So far I came up with the following which is £590 (quite happy with that). All I need now, I believe, is a PSU and case. I'm not sure if I've missed anything.

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail 1x
                              ASUS P8P67 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard 1x
                              2GB Mushkin Silverline #991768 (1x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 2x
                              Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1x
                              1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive - 3yr Warranty 1x
                              LG DVD Writer, GH22NS50, SATA, Black, OEM 1x

So what case am I looking for to accommodate this and what PSU would people recommend to power this setup?
                              And again, If I've missed something please let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X