Asrock Dual 775 again !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Dual 775 again !

Am I glad I searched and found this forum ,at least some problems similar to what I have been getting and may be of use to others as well. I decided to upgrade my system to a faster CPU so needed a new mobo to go with it .In the end I decided on the Dual 775 VSTA because of it's ability to mix old with new bits so I could upgrade a piece at a time .I've built a few PC's in my time ,all based on AMD CPU though,so had all the parts I needed to commence .I purchased a E6300 Core 2 Duo to go with the mobo .All ran fine with no BSOD for probably 10-14 days ,I have read about the Core 2 chips running pretty hot and mine started off idle at about 49-51 c ,far too hot I thought for idle settings ,I applied some Artic silver 3 paste right from the start as the retail supplied was 3 thin strips that didn't even cover the heatsink . Temps eventually went down to about 44 c idle after the setting period .Still too hot I thought .I then purchased a Arctic Cooler 7 Pro after reading some good reports .Then I found out why the retail heatsink was doing such a bad job ,when I took it off , the heatsink was only touching a 25% of the top of the CPU even though it was seated correctly .I fitted the Arctic 7 Pro and what a difference ,idle temps of 26-27 c ,just what I had hoped for.At the same time I changed the Radeon 9550 128 mb for my GeForce 4200 Ti .Then the PC started to regularly crash with the BSOD. The original description was something was trying to right to read only memory , and constant device driver errors ,even though nothing anywhere showed up as conflicting . Sorry this post is long but to cut a long story short ,it seems due to the Arctic 7 Pro running at such low speeds 900-2500 rpm some mobos don't like the low speeds and are expecting a fan in the region of 2500 rpm to keep them running stable .So out went the Cooler 7 Pro ,I carefully reseated the retail heatsink and now get about 35 c idle so i'll leave it be for now, the serious BSOD then stopped but not completely ,I was still getting lots of device driver errors .I fresh installed ,I driver verified ,I did everything I could think of .The worst thing I found for causing problems was NTL Netguard ,after lots of searching I went into System information ,and looked for Components that clashed ,empty .Ntl diagnostics said that my connection test wasn't right .According to Sys Info , my GeForce was sharing the same IRQ as my Nic card for the ethernet broadband connection .I swapped out the GeForce back to the Rad 9550 and now the device driver error is gone as well .Ran the board at default settings ,that runs the mem at 333 mhz (167) ,even though I'm using DDR 400 ,ran for about 2-3 days no reboots again ,I then manually set it to run at 200 so to match the memory ,today it rebooted for no reason for the first time in a week ,I read the other post about enabling flexibility even with DDR 400 memory with success ,something i'll try next time I reboot.So if anybody has gained any answers from this ,i'm glad to be of help .I also read somebody reckoned you needed DDR2 to successfully run core 2 duo CPU's .I will eventually update this mobo (if I ever manage to get it stable 24/7) So my main points for help are

1. Is there a way to successfully use the Artic 7 Pro without it crashing my setup .
    2. A suitable update in Graphics card that actually works well with this Asrock board.Their official site is very patchy and has certain cards from certain manufacturers using certain revision drivers ,not the latest drivers revisions in some cases.Most of their choices aren't even available in the UK.Don't need the latest card but want somewhere in the region of X1650 Pro or Xt and must be PCIe to go with the updated mobo at a later date.
    3. Updated DDR2 mem that will work better on the updated mobo at a later date. Will the higher speed memory 800-1000mhz memory work O.K in this board ,I know its only supposed to be 533 or 667 mhz ,but the newer Core 2 mobo are now using the 800 and faster speed memory .

Sorry for such a long,long post ,I hope it has helped a few ppl ,

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

It may be a long post ,but any single point may help somebody , the other post said about trying the flexibility option with DDr 400 memory ,even though it has a specific setting for it, it you reset the bios to default auto ,it goes automatically to 333mhz memory ,even though the memory is 400 mhz ,at default it doesn't reboot at all ,if you swap the settings to manually to run at the correct settings ,the board will reboot occasionally for no reason at all ,set at 400 mhz settings and flexibility on I'm error free again 24/7 ,and my PC hasn't made it out the Window

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

It would have actually been easier to smash my head against the wall than get this running smoothly to start with , fresh installs ,all hardware out ,all software off ,still BSOD ,no conflicts reported ,but the Nvidia 4200 didn't like running with the ethernet card ,they seemed to share IRQ 28 ,NTL diagnostic said the internet connection wasn't correct , changed the grahics card and it no longer shares the same IRQ as the nic card ,without changing any pci slots ,internet connection is now correct and everything else works fine again (now I swapped the mem settings) ,and this was from no reported faults ,and equipment that has been trouble free for 2 years or more . .I want a new graphics card but daren't buy one yet incase it conflicts again .At least I'm running smoothly again

Comment

Working...
          X