Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional SLI connector / design error / how ? GA-X99P-SLI

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=5658#ov

Have a look at the Molex connector on the very bottom edge of the board, silver stripe across it, sits directly below the bottom PCI express slot.

Its called the ATX4P

The manual states "When two or more graphics cards are installed, we recommend that you connect the SATA power cable from thepower supply to the ATX4P connector to ensure system stability."

the port is in fact a molex, so that's the first oddity.

Now as majority of customers build into midi cases how is a molex supposed to fit into this whilst the power supply literally sits mm from the bottom of the board? There's no accessory right angle cables included with the board, to feed a molex on a cable similar to a fan converter, and if there was it would sit rather messily over the PSU fan.

Pure Friday Afternoon design error, or something i'm missing? If it were to face up like the surrounding ports and pins all would make sense.

*thankfully SLI is a rarity

Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

If it was the same orientation as the other connectors it would interfere with a card in that bottom slot. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also a much better placement than on my board which is above the highest PCI-E slot. How can you ran a cable to that without it looking like a mess!
    i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Seems daft, sata would have been better.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

It is put down there because it is close to the ports and the fact that the board is pretty full up all around. It would have been better for it to be sticking straight out, though. I know that other higher-end boards have an extra 6-pin (like my SOC Champion) above the primary slot. It really, really is not needed unless you're pushing extreme clocks with LN2 or are just a savage with voltage on air/water. It's just to reduce the load from the 24 pin and to suck it from somewhere else, nothing more.

If you're running dual or even triple cards, it won't be an issue. It's more of a 'let us fill this space' idea more than anything else. I run my dual 290X's without the additional power without an issue. No further OC headroom is given by plugging it in either.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

pebcak!!!!!!!
          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
          Plato

Comment

Working...
          X