Motherboard and GPU compatibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard and GPU compatibility?

I have an MSI-P67A-GD65 motherboard. I have discovered some concerning information that with my motherboard (potentially) if you try and put more recent or latest gen graphics cards on it they wont work, unless you flash your BIOS. It also seems has quite a high potential of disabling all overclock support for Sandybridge or completely messing up the board if you do attempt flash it, infact one post specifically says if you haev a Sandybridge CPU do not attempt to flash the bios to version 4.x.

Apparently though, the (B3) version of the board is ok, I've checked my board, and it is written physically on the board that it is a (B3) version, which apparently has some fix in it.

Anyone got any idea if I will be ok with the latest cards?

From what I have read, I really would prefer not to flash the board, this computer is still relatively good, with the advance in CPU technology not being massive over the last few years, the weak link is the now aging graphics cards that I am looking to upgrade in the next few months. If I bugger up my board, I will struggle to find a replacement Sandybridge board and its pretty much game over.

Any suggestions?

The ideal I guess would be to test one, but I don't want to mess Aria around sending it back on DSR if it doesnt work and I dont know anyone with a new gen card.

What would be ideal is if anyoen knows anyone with my board and a Sandybridge CPU and can confirm it works with a new card?

EDIT: Bah, now I have jsut also read that even the B3 version will need flashing.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=180379.0

Last edited by BUDFORCE; 15-04-16, 08:02.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Where did you read that it would bugger up your board?? I find it unlikely.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Thing is if it goes wrong its pretty much game over for my PC, it'll be hard to find a replacement motherboard.
      GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Do you have to update to v4 of the bios to get the GPU support, or can you update to an earlier version?

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I dont know.

Its hard as information seems to be all over the place.

One post on overclockers seems to think that upgrading to 4.x will cause your board to not work on a Sandybridge CPU, but others suggest that it will jsut retrict your overclocking ability.

I have found the official downloads here, with soem straight froward enough insructions

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...html#down-bios

How risky do you think this is?

If I bugger this up its pretty much new motherboard and CPU.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Just to give you an update.

Good and bad news (mainly good).

I just out of a moment of madness went for it. And managed to sucessfully flash to the biod to vr 4.3 which is one of the latest and includes the GPU support.

Bad news is I cant seem to overclock my CPU past 3.8ghz.

At 4.2ghz which I had it on, it wouldnt even post, and 4ghz the system crashed within about 20 seconds BSOD on windows boot on just locked up teh bios.

However at 3.8ghz seems to be ok. Im about to load up 3d mark but I dont think I will ahve any issues.
            GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Do you need the extra cpu speed though? I'm still running a 2500k and it still doesn't really struggle with anything.

I would guess you'll benefit much more from the extra GPU power than 0.4ghz on the overclock

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Yeah, to give another update I ran 3DMark at 3.8ghz and my PC BSOD's half way through.

Change teh CPU back to stock and it went through the cycle ok.

Guess I need to lookup if it spossible and to get some OC settigns for this BIOS version. but for tonight, I've had enough!
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I've continued this in a new thread here:

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....34#post2602334
                  GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                  X