Asus am1i-a Linux Mint Possible Display Freeze Issue Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus am1i-a Linux Mint Possible Display Freeze Issue Help

Been having an on going problem with my Linux Mint box, that I need some help now trying to solve.

Running latest version of Mint, with latest stable kernel version.

I'm using an AMD 5350, on an Asus am1i-a board, with 8gb of hyper x DDR3 ram.

The issue I'm having is that I think the display crashes out, and prevents access to the box.

I should say it's usually run as a headless server at home, and at first I thought it was the ethernet port that was crashing out and stopping me from logging into it remotely, but I've recently moved it from headless to my office, hooked up to my monitors, and the issue still occurs.

I can't replicate it under specific conditions, it just seems to happen when it feels like it.

Last night it was working fine, I was working on it, normal surfing type stuff. I turned the monitors off, but left the machine powered on, as it's the home server. Came back it it this morning, and the display wouldn't work. Just got a black screen, nothing on it.

When this happens though I can't even log into it remotely via VNC.

So it's like the network adapter freezes, but also the display.

So confused.

First thing you need to establish is if the whole system is locking up. It sounds like it is.

See if there is anything in /var/log/messages indicating a problem.

Basically it sounds like a hardware problem causing a complete system freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
      First thing you need to establish is if the whole system is locking up. It sounds like it is.

See if there is anything in /var/log/messages indicating a problem.

Basically it sounds like a hardware problem causing a complete system freeze.
      I'll take a look at the logs tonight. It's really been frustrating me this issue.

Comment

looking at the logs now and there isn't a messages.log entry, but there is a mintsystem.log?

Comment

I've saved some of the logs to text now. Not got a clue what I'm looking at, or looking for.

I'll post the links here, and if anyone is fluent in Linux logs it would be a tremendous help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K...ew?usp=sharing Syslog

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K...ew?usp=sharing Xorg Log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K...ew?usp=sharing Syslog from 07/01

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5K...ew?usp=sharing Kernel Log 10/01

Comment

Had a quick scan through those logs and nothing leaps out, mostly though it's just initialisation / startup diagnostics for drivers and services.

I think the logs are to some extent superfluous though - bottom line is, if the system has become unresponsive to display / mouse and keyboard / network, it's simply dead/frozen, which means a terminal hardware failure of some kind.

First thing would probably be to run memtest, not because memory is the most likely cause of your problem, more because it's simply easy to test. If you run memtest86 overnight off a thumbdrive / CD then you'll know if the memory is the problem.

Other likely candidates are the PSU, motherboard and GPU.

What brand / model is the PSU, and how old is it?

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
              Had a quick scan through those logs and nothing leaps out, mostly though it's just initialisation / startup diagnostics for drivers and services.

I think the logs are to some extent superfluous though - bottom line is, if the system has become unresponsive to display / mouse and keyboard / network, it's simply dead/frozen, which means a terminal hardware failure of some kind.

First thing would probably be to run memtest, not because memory is the most likely cause of your problem, more because it's simply easy to test. If you run memtest86 overnight off a thumbdrive / CD then you'll know if the memory is the problem.

Other likely candidates are the PSU, motherboard and GPU.

What brand / model is the PSU, and how old is it?
              I'll have to check when I'm home what the PSU is.

However the GPU is onboard via the AMD5350 chip. That was bought brandnew under 6 months ago.

I'll run the memtest tonight as well, see what that throws up.

Thanks

Comment

In my experience, most common cause of these kinds of random freezes and lockups are probably PSU first, then motherboard. A lot depends on the PSU brand, if it's a 'generic' brand or a budget model like the corsair CX series then that would definitely be where my initial suspicions lie.

Comment

Working...
                X