Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New graphics card not working? Have you tried a BIOS update *read me*

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New graphics card not working? Have you tried a BIOS update *read me*

    Hi, my order number is EC1425843 however when I try to use the website's Return Request it says my order cannot be found - if it helps it was placed on the 10th of Feb. Emailed customer support yesterday and no reply as of yet, and would prefer to get this sorted quickly . Reason for RMA is a DOA graphics card.

    Any help much appreciated, thanks.
    i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

  • #2
    What graphics card is it, and what motherboard and powersupply do you have?

    EDIT ah if its as per sig, have you done a bios update on the motherboard, i've seen loads of 7870's recently that won't work until the latest bios.
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by coiler View Post
      What graphics card is it, and what motherboard and powersupply do you have?

      EDIT ah if its as per sig, have you done a bios update on the motherboard, i've seen loads of 7870's recently that won't work until the latest bios.
      No I haven't - been a bit reluctant to do so as I'm not 100% sure on how to do it. Would the best way be to use the software that came with the motherboard? Cheers.
      i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Will,

        I'll move this post into a different forum section, as there are many seasoned bios updaters that can advise. I'm not sure if its something to do with PCI-e version 3.0, but in 9/10 cases its been fixing DOA 7870's!

        ps. what bios version flashes on the screen when you boot up?

        Added after 4 minutes:

        if this is your board?
        i'd probably go for bios F18, unless anyone else can advise otherwise

        http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...?pid=4140#bios
        Last edited by coiler; 21-02-13, 10:53.
        Originally posted by Aaron
        I want those sweet cherries

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheers Coiler, that's the one. The BIOS version is F15. Thanks.
          Last edited by Will011; 21-02-13, 11:01.
          i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

          Comment


          • #6
            Just keep pressing Del on boot up and that should let you into the bios.

            Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Will011 View Post
              Cheers Coiler, that's the one. The BIOS version is F15. Thanks.
              ah so three bios' behind it seems!

              with the new card fitted does the pc still fire up, fans spin, HDD access etc?
              Originally posted by Aaron
              I want those sweet cherries

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by coiler View Post
                ah so three bios' behind it seems!

                with the new card fitted does the pc still fire up, fans spin, HDD access etc?
                It was pretty strange... Originally with the card in, the fans would spin up (quite slowly but I think that's due to the motherboard's fan control), but there wouldn't be a POST beep or anything displayed on screen. I tried so many things like turning around the power, HDD wires, speaker etc. but was the same every time. Removed the card and everything worked perfectly.

                On a side note, as I kept turning the PSU off and on at the back, a few times I pressed the power button with the PSU being off at the back, and then switched it on and the computer would turn on without me pressing the power button again - should that happen? :/

                Thanks.
                i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Will011 View Post
                  It was pretty strange... Originally with the card in, the fans would spin up (quite slowly but I think that's due to the motherboard's fan control), but there wouldn't be a POST beep or anything displayed on screen. I tried so many things like turning around the power, HDD wires, speaker etc. but was the same every time. Removed the card and everything worked perfectly.

                  On a side note, as I kept turning the PSU off and on at the back, a few times I pressed the power button with the PSU being off at the back, and then switched it on and the computer would turn on without me pressing the power button again - should that happen? :/

                  Thanks.

                  hmmm not sure?

                  let me know how it goes after the bios update, should be a pretty straightforward procedure.

                  Also what PSU do you have?
                  Originally posted by Aaron
                  I want those sweet cherries

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by coiler View Post
                    hmmm not sure?

                    let me know how it goes after the bios update, should be a pretty straightforward procedure.

                    Also what PSU do you have?
                    Alright will do that now. Is it worth doing a backup beforehand? If so how do I do one (not very knowledgeable when it comes to things like this, sorry!)

                    I have a 750W Antec True Power 80+ Bronze.
                    i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Alright well I updated the BIOS with Q-Flash and loaded optimized defaults - anything I should do now?

                      The boot order is now set to boot from my USB flash drive first - should I switch it so it's booting off the SSD first?
                      Also, previously I had edited the registry to set the SATA mode to AHCI (as I forgot to do it before installing windows). It has been reset back to IDE now - shall I change it again?

                      Cheers
                      Last edited by Will011; 21-02-13, 12:01.
                      i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Will011 View Post
                        Alright will do that now. Is it worth doing a backup beforehand? If so how do I do one (not very knowledgeable when it comes to things like this, sorry!)

                        I have a 750W Antec True Power 80+ Bronze.

                        PSU sounds ok.

                        Worth backing up just in case I guess, i personally just stick important files on a pendrive, DVD etc

                        never dabbled in full on windows backup

                        Originally posted by Will011 View Post
                        Alright well I updated the BIOS with Q-Flash and loaded optimized defaults - anything I should do now?

                        The boot order is now set to boot from my USB flash drive first - should I switch it so it's booting off the SSD first?
                        Also, previously I had edited the registry to set the SATA mode to AHCI (as I forgot to do it before installing windows). It has been reset back to IDE now - shall I change it again?

                        Cheers
                        so it shows as F18 now on bootup?

                        if so put card back in, and connect both PCI-express 6/8 pins, then fire up and see if its working.
                        Originally posted by Aaron
                        I want those sweet cherries

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Plugged it in, moved the HDMI cable from the motherboard to graphics card, and it's all working! just installing the drivers now! Cheers coiler!
                          i5-3570k - GA-Z77-D3H - VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE - Haf 912 + - Thermaltake Frio - 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHz - 500GB Seagate Barracuda 6GB/s - 120GB Samsung 840 SSD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            epic result!!!

                            I might make this post a sticky actually!
                            Originally posted by Aaron
                            I want those sweet cherries

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pretty useful thread, completely missed this one

                              Best Thermal Paste 2017 Comparison

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X