No announcement yet.

Can't connect to internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had this problem with my new rig with win 7 x64 and i solved the problem by getting a wireless usb adapter. may not suit your purpose but hey it works for me...

Comment

Originally posted by HostDavid View Post
      Heya all,

Router wise I have enabled DHCP and have set my computers MAC to have its own internal IP so I can portforward eventually.

Thanks
      Did you have the issue before performing this step?

I used xp64 for a day and a gave up, its highly likely to be the cause.
      sn45g ,athlon 2500+ 256mb ram, geforce 2 80 gig HD
      !Tpyo spceialist! I hope to help please ignore my bad grammar and typo's!

Comment

As above, you have tried it all with automatically assigning the IP/DNS etc. ye? It's not just a simple mistype somewhere along the line?

Comment

ok, well it never worked even without the dhcp list. other computers do have internet, it's just this one. i am trying to isolate the problem, i think it must be something with the computer.
          Current Setup: i5 2500k, GA-Z68AP-D3, Arctic Cooling Freexer 13, 2x4gb Corsair XMS3,1tb 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar, XFX ATI HD Radion 6770, 500w Cooler Master PSU, Cooler Master Elite 330, LiteOn DVD Drive.

Comment

I would say if you can't ping, and you've double checked the ip addresses, try swapping the cable and/or port on the switch/router.
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Or maybe swap out the network card for a different one..

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Random thought and probably pointless, but can you :

> ping 127.0.0.1

that should at least make sure the XP64 ip stack is working
                --
                Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Ok, I am using a powerline ethernent thingy. It definately works because I switch it between my computer and my xbox. It gives me great 5 bar internet on my xbox, so there is no reason why it shouldn't work for my computer? Also Spaceboy, I will try pinging my self, however I think I have effectively already done it, this is because I accidently set my static IP to ...0.1, and my DNS to ...0.1, and obviously I got 4 replies of my packets.
                  Current Setup: i5 2500k, GA-Z68AP-D3, Arctic Cooling Freexer 13, 2x4gb Corsair XMS3,1tb 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar, XFX ATI HD Radion 6770, 500w Cooler Master PSU, Cooler Master Elite 330, LiteOn DVD Drive.

Comment

Any security settings on the powerline adapters ?
                    If the adapters have more than 1 ethernet port, you could try plugging in the xbox and the PC, and then ping the xbox ip address ?
                    --

Comment

Nope, only one port, no security. It is this one btw: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Po...5421776&sr=1-5

It works fine, so I don't think it is a problem with that.

Comment

I have tried it with ubuntu and I still don't get internet. Does ubuntu need drivers, is that where I am going wrong?

Comment

if you can't ping anything on your local network then it's either a driver or hardware problem.

if it's a driver problem then I'd be surprised if you could even set an ip on the interface.
                          --

Comment

Originally posted by HostDavid View Post
                            I have tried it with ubuntu and I still don't get internet. Does ubuntu need drivers, is that where I am going wrong?
                            No - ubuntu shouldn't need drivers. As you've got ethernet working on the xbox, I doubt this, but do you need special drivers because you're using power line, not straight ethernet.

If you don't need power line drivers, then I'd suggest it's the network card on that pc, as xbox works, but ubuntu on that machine doesn't.
                            PC: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI, 2 x 4 GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, XFX 7870 LE.
                            Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X220 - IntelCore i5 2520M @ 2.5Ghz, 4GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X