Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't connect to internet

Heya all,

My new rig aint connecting to the internet.

My ethernet cable is plugged straight into the MoBo, I have got the latest drivers from the internet, but still it won't connect.

BTW, I am using an old copy of WinXP x64 that I found in a cupboard, I will upgrade to Win 7 eventually, but I wouldn't mind this getting going, as a computer without internet is near on useless.

I tried clicking repair and everything but it cant renew the IP, so I think sommat is going wrong.
    Router wise I have enabled DHCP and have set my computers MAC to have its own internal IP so I can portforward eventually.

Please Help!
    Thanks
    Current Setup: i5 2500k, GA-Z68AP-D3, Arctic Cooling Freexer 13, 2x4gb Corsair XMS3,1tb 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar, XFX ATI HD Radion 6770, 500w Cooler Master PSU, Cooler Master Elite 330, LiteOn DVD Drive.

Are you getting an IP address? When you unplug the ethernet cable and plug it back it does it show some activity in the bottom right hand corner?

Comment

start -> run -> cmd

> ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your router's IP address is)

this checks the pc can talk to the router.

if successful

> nslookup www.google.com

this checks dns is working

if successful

ping www.google.com

if the first ping fails either manually enter an ip address or try

> ipconfig /renew
      --
      Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

The network troubleshooters in Windows 7 are a lot better than in earlier versions.

Does the network connect to anything else? Do you have something you can plug into the thing?

And what sits between the PC and the Internet? If a modem/router, can you bring up its web interface?
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
        Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Is the Ethernet port turned on in bios?
          Currently upgrading my pc

Fogive my spelling/grammar mistakes I use my iPad to browse the forums

Comment

I see activity, it connects but is 'limited'. I did that ipconfig /renew thing and still nothing

Btw I do get an IP but it is a really weird one, not 192.168...
            Current Setup: i5 2500k, GA-Z68AP-D3, Arctic Cooling Freexer 13, 2x4gb Corsair XMS3,1tb 7200rpm Hitachi Deskstar, XFX ATI HD Radion 6770, 500w Cooler Master PSU, Cooler Master Elite 330, LiteOn DVD Drive.

Comment

Sounds like its defaulting to the autoconfig IP address.. Is it something like 169.254.xxx.xxx ?

If thats the case, it basically means that the computer is failing to get an IP address from the router for whatever reason, but can possibly detect the cable and that its connected to something, so its assigning itself an IP address..

Is everything set up in the network settings of the computer itself?
              Last edited by Aaron; 30-12-11, 01:29.

Originally posted by coiler
              Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

If it is that issue, then there's some useful info here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c-52a4ed342870

And possibly here:

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2008/02/...etting-is.html

Comment

bang on Aaron

Just a simple case of the PC not being able to get a dhcp address for itself. Either statically assign one, or diagnose the dhcp server/router settings
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

i am def getting that ip, will read your links aaron and we shall see what that does

Comment

I'd try some of the fixes in the 2nd link first, if that makes sense?!

Comment

May sound weird, but are your time settings correct on your PC both in the BIOS and on the OS?
                        Sometimes if mines wrong it messes up sometimes
                        I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
                        Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

the time is correct in both BIOS and windows.

aaron, I have tried what you have said but it didn't work. creating a static ip did allow me to connect, but i could ping my router, nor did my internet work at any stage

Here is a screen shot after I had set my static IP.

Last edited by HostDavid; 30-12-11, 14:27. Reason: Adding screen shot

Comment

Im assuming you have a working computer in the house that can connect to the internet. On that machine can you run an ipconfig /all and post the results here.
                            Removed my picture as I have now sold it all

Comment

is the light on your router showing you have internet? have you been updating xp and not installed some virus protection? could be worth a scan with spybot if you can download from some were else.

Comment

Working...
                              X