Gigabyte Recalling X79 UD3, UD5, G1.Assassin 2 Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Recalling X79 UD3, UD5, G1.Assassin 2 Motherboards

Good to know Gigabyte doing something about it.

I Guess this will cost Gigabyte alot of money - it's their own faults so should be all at their own expense including shipping fees.

Last week, a Taiwanese overclocker putting his OC workbench through an relatively laxed OC stress test saw its Gigabyte X79 UD3 motherboard go bust. Its CPU VRM couldn't cope with the stress, and blew a MOSFET. At the time, people responding to his video condoled him for his bad luck. It appears now that his wasn't a one-off case of "bad-egg". Gigabyte, in its latest press release on its Chinese website, noted the issue. Apparently it received several such complaints from overclockers where even moderate voltage-assisted CPU OC fried its VRM. The issue was found to be widespread, among three of its main socket LGA2011 products, the GA-X79-UD3, GA-X79-UD5, and G1.Assassin 2.

Apparently, the issue is caused by a cocktail of bad firmware to complement the board's PWM circuitry, and bad quality PWM components. As an immediate remedy, Gigabyte issued a BIOS update for the affected products. This BIOS, however, will cripple the board's overclocking abilities. The new BIOS will throttle CPU when subjected to extreme stress, to save the VRM. The BIOS remedy is only for those who opt to keep their boards, or don't subject the board to extreme tuning. The other remedy, is to return the board to Gigabyte, for a free replacement when the "right" boards are available. Gigabyte also announced a general recall of the GA-X79-UD3, GA-X79-UD5, and G1.Assassin 2, from the market. A video of the "unlucky" (not anymore) overclocker's day going bad, can be watched
    Source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Wk4QWHjpc
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming Edition @ 1542/7516 Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Cooler Master HAF X

Might be a coincidence but my UD5 still plays up and it will NOT let me overclock through the multiplier, only through the ratio.

Comment

it does list your board so i guess you have the latest BIOS and are affected

RMA time me thinks

Comment

Hah, this will be my third X79-UD5 then and my 5th GB board this year (2x P67A-UD7s and 3x X79-UD5s). Nightmare customer
        Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
        Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

It's not just GB. Other mobo companies have had similar problems with motherboards frying on the X79 chipset.

Originally posted by coiler
          Then go all out dogging, after i've finished rimming of course

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Moose View Post
            It's not just GB. Other mobo companies have had similar problems with motherboards frying on the X79 chipset.
            There was a brilliant thread on Hwbot where a company had ripped into all the other mobo manufacturers, and then all there x79 boards were having problems after release.

Originally posted by coiler
            Then go all out dogging, after i've finished rimming of course

Comment

Both Nick and I have opened tickets with GB so we'll see how it goes

Comment

I must say I'm impressed that your board has lasted as long as it has considering how fast his board blew.

Good luck to both of you and i hope you get this sorted

Best of luck, Jack.
                I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
                Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

Really lost faith in GB mobos recently, what with the Z68 with no on-board graphics as well
                  --
                  Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

don't really see what the fuss is about the no onboard graphics? most people would never use them.

Comment

Im still rocking my P67 lol no issues of burning there haha
                      Originally posted by omega
                      He's trying to lick the inside of his brain though, doesn't that count for something??

|EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper SLI|Intel Core i7 5820K |Gigabyte X99-UD4P|8GB 2133Mhz Hyper X Fury DDR4|2x 120GB Samsung 850 Evo Raid0|3.0TB WD Green|Corsair 650W|LG 29UB65-P|
                      All bundled in a Enthoo Primo under Water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksb4 View Post
                        I must say I'm impressed that your board has lasted as long as it has considering how fast his board blew.

Good luck to both of you and i hope you get this sorted

Best of luck, Jack.
                        Yeah mine is at like 4.4Ghz and 1.3V as well.

Comment

Jusat saw this, would my GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 be effected at all?

Dan

Comment

Nope, only the X79 chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                              Really lost faith in GB mobos recently, what with the Z68 with no on-board graphics as well
                              Probably because not many enthusiasts use onboard graphics.

I'm still a Gigabyte fanboy
                              Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
                              Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
                              i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Working...
                              X