Want a new mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a new mobo

I bought myself a new cpu and mobo last week, was on a bit of a budget because my previous one had just given up. Now I've been paid I'm looking for something that can utilise more ram, I currently have the ASUS M5A78L-M LX with the Athlon x3 460, can anybody reccommend a decent board I could upgrade to? something that wouldn't be obsolete in less than one year, cheers in advance.
    Currently upgrading my pc

Fogive my spelling/grammar mistakes I use my iPad to browse the forums

i take it thats an AM3 cpu? Whats your budget mate.

Also do you need any particular features Sli sata 6gbs that kind of thing.
    My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

Comment

How much RAM you looking at using & what for ?

Tbh I think 2x4GB would be enough to see you through until you upgrade next unless your doing some crazy CAD work.

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=46920

1600mhz for 29.99, you can't go wrong at that price.
      i5-2500K@ (4.3GHz) - Z68X - NH-D14 - GTX 580 TwinFrozrII - BitFenix Shinobi - TX650 - 8GB RipJawZ 2133Mhz - lots of fans & a fan controller !

Comment

I don't really have a budget to be honest, yes it is the AM3 cpu, only use it for making the odd cd and dvd.
        Currently upgrading my pc

Fogive my spelling/grammar mistakes I use my iPad to browse the forums

Comment

Because RAM is cheap at the mo people seem to think they all need 8GB or more. Whilst doing general work and browsing my windows 7 install hangs around 2GB usage. As such 4GB is plenty, 8GB is future proof, likely more so than the x3 processor. If you feel the need then sell the current memory and get an 8GB kit. To get any significant performance increase you would be best of moving to Sandybridge, but personally I would make do with what you have got. Best boost you could have for a general use box that's reasonable cash is an SSD IMHO.
          i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
          ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
          650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
          Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Originally posted by sibeer View Post
            Because RAM is cheap at the mo people seem to think they all need 8GB or more. Whilst doing general work and browsing my windows 7 install hangs around 2GB usage. As such 4GB is plenty, 8GB is future proof, likely more so than the x3 processor. If you feel the need then sell the current memory and get an 8GB kit. To get any significant performance increase you would be best of moving to Sandybridge, but personally I would make do with what you have got. Best boost you could have for a general use box that's reasonable cash is an SSD IMHO.
            i second that on the ram even playing stuff like BF3 my memory usage never tips over more than 40% and i have 8gb installed, I wanna get a second 8gb kit but purely for aesthetic reasons
            My RIG: MSI GE62 2QD Apache I7 4720HQ, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SDD + 1TB HDD, GTX 960M 2GB, Windows 10, 15.6" IPS screen.

Comment

It is unlikely to get any cheaper now, but there just isn't a current need
              i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
              ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
              650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
              Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

Working...
              X