Linux Motherboard Recommendation? - Intel Core2Quad Q9550 - 8GB DDR3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSVRasputin View Post
    TBH, I have never heard of a motherboard not being compatible with Linux in a long long time. Does the board work fine under windows? or updating the drivers or even a reinstall of your / partion?
    Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
    I think f12f12 was hinting that it is actually quite likely to be a component failure rather than a software failure. Not since the days of motherboard DIP switches have I head of a board not working under a version of linux.

DT.
    Originally posted by andyn View Post
    Never had a motherboard which doesn't work with linux before, that's pretty strange. Are you 100% sure that it's not a more general hardware problem? Have you tried installing windows as well, and running some stress tests on another OS?

Edit: Bah, seconds too slow
    Basically what these guys said ^

Comment

Of the boards I have used with Linux, the Asus P5N7A-VM has been the least hassle, thanks in part to the integrated nvidia geforce 9300 (it's new enough for the nvidia linux hardware drivers to support) Other boards and graphics cards haven't been as good, though they generally stable with software graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Icm76 View Post
        Of the boards I have used with Linux, the Asus P5N7A-VM has been the least hassle, thanks in part to the integrated nvidia geforce 9300 (it's new enough for the nvidia linux hardware drivers to support) Other boards and graphics cards haven't been as good, though they generally stable with software graphics drivers.
        Sounds like you had trouble with graphic drivers more than Mboard drivers.

Comment

I think that's mostly true, but I did have some network issues with an Asus LGA 1156 mobo. It failed to connect occasionally necessitating a shutdown and completely removal of power from the wall socket for ~60s, never did figure out exactly what the issue was, it had a very basic Realtek onboard NIC. That one, and other boards have suffered from occasional system freezes and graphical corruption (without graphics hardware drivers) and iirc an nvidia 630i/7100 was an absolute PITA to get working which is the board that I sold in favour of the P5N7A-VM.
          Last edited by Icm76; 31-10-11, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
          X