Asus AM3 motherboard & Athlon x4 640 seem to have bitten the dust :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus AM3 motherboard & Athlon x4 640 seem to have bitten the dust :(

Basically, about a week ago, i went to turn on the computer and got error beeps :/!

I have tried to identify the problem, and have narrowed it down to the CPU and Motherboard. it is an Asus M4A78LT-M (not the cheaper LE version.) and an AMD Athlon II X4 640.

Nothing was overclocked or even strained as it was a basic web browsing system. The PSU was sufficient and so was the cooling. Just tried the CPU in another working system and it forces the computer not to boot, hence the CPU being a problem. Tried a different CPU in the Asus motherboard and it also doesn't boot, hence the motherboard also being a problem.

Both board and CPU were purchase from Aria in December 2010, so less than 1 year old.

the 3 error beeps are 3 beeps with the 1st lasting slightly longer than the 2nd and 3rd (which are identical lengths).

Any help please !?

Take a look here - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/award.htm
    May be a video card issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dav532000 View Post
      Take a look here - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/award.htm
      May be a video card issue.
      cheers mate. was just about to try another graphics card (was using the onboard VGA) so il defo do that now !

Comment

So the CPU is fine now in another system . Defo a motherboard problem :/!

Tried to clear the close and remove the battery and no luck. Put in my brother's 5670 and plugged that into the monitor, but I get the same 3 beeps .

Some guy on YouTube had the exact same problem and people said its video related.

Anything else I can try? Tried the onboard vga and a 5670 but both do nothing to solving the problem .

Comment

Have you tried the memory 1 stick at a time to rule that out.

Added after 9 minutes:

Sounds like the on-board video, so would try another card to rule it out.
          Last edited by dav532000; 16-10-11, 21:02. Reason: Auto edit by merge post

Comment

Originally posted by dav532000 View Post
            Have you tried the memory 1 stick at a time to rule that out.

Added after 9 minutes:

Sounds like the on-board video, so would try another card to rule it out.
            Yep, tried 2 corsair, 2 patriot, 1 patriot and 1 Samsung. All those work fine in other PCs.

Ye, il try my 4870 soon wen I switch cases.

Thanks mate !

Comment

right, here is the update.

tried to identify the problem with:

-3 different PSU including a TX650 (not PSU related)
              -3 different memory brands and 6 different sticks (not the RAM's fault)
              -2 different video set-ups, sapphire 5670, xfx 4870 (not an add-in graphics card problem)
              -2 different CPU (CPU isnt the problem)
              -HDD spins up fine
              -used an Akasa venom voodoo cpu cooler, so definitely not a cooling problem

get the same beeps.

slight confusion now as to what the beeps mean. some people say it is a memory related problem, others say it is video related and some on youtube have said it is PSU related (definitely isn't).
              i'm inclined to point the finger at the onboard VGA as it was playing up for a few weeks before the board completely went. the computer's screen would freeze when doing anything video related/intensive such as watching iplayer. nothing would work, not even CTRL+ALT+DEL so the PC had to be manually shut off by the power.

whether it is a problem with the onboard VGA or the DIMM slots, it is definitely a motherboard related problem, so i think an RMA is on the cards.

anybody else have any other advice before i organise the RMA?

clear the CMOS (again)?
              somehow try a new BIOS?

Comment

if it is a onboard video problem then taht will use the RAM for video memory so thats why some say ram some say gpu.

also if its a external card some say enough power for the card. thus why some say power.

But if from a cold start there is problems then i say rma the board.

couple of things to try is reset the cmos again give it 10 seconds with no power.
                turn it off and hold the power button for 10 secs draining out all power then power up.
                possibly power drain the reset cmos.
                hit it
                try a new bios wit the asus tools.
                Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by f12f12 View Post
                  if it is a onboard video problem then taht will use the RAM for video memory so thats why some say ram some say gpu.

also if its a external card some say enough power for the card. thus why some say power.

But if from a cold start there is problems then i say rma the board.
                  thanks mate. that makes sense now.

whatever the problem, it is definitely motherboard related, so i will be organising an RMA soon. not had much luck with motherboards myself after that insane MSI incident lol

couple of things to try is reset the cmos again give it 10 seconds with no power.
                  turn it off and hold the power button for 10 secs draining out all power then power up.
                  possibly power drain the reset cmos.
                  hit it
                  try a new bios wit the asus tools.
                  Ye, tried all those apart from the new BIOS and "hitting it" ! im not sure aria would be too keen to RMA a board that iv punched lol !
                  BIOS reset will be difficult with no display/motherboard post especially considering the board i use is soooooo different.
                  time to check youtube me thinks

Comment

done some extra research and found that it is a memory related problem:

Memory issue: Beep (1 long 2 short)
                    every stick i tried works fine and i have had at least 4 of the sticks working perfectly in the same board prior to the problem

Comment

does your board have that side port memory for the graphics?
                      Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by f12f12 View Post
                        does your board have that side port memory for the graphics?
                        No mate. It uses the RAM. The asus website says nothing about sideport and it doesn't have the sodimm stick for it either.

Tried loads if tests yesterday with a friend's help and its a memory problem. It gets the same beeps with and without sticks inserted and AFAIK asus checks memory on post before video. The beeps would change if it was video related and add-in video cards would theoretically work.

Going to organise the rma later as there is definitely a board problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X