[Vortez]First Look at ASUS P67 Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Vortez]First Look at ASUS P67 Motherboards

The impending release of new hardware always makes for an exciting time filled with hype and anticipation. And when it concerns a brand new chipset from the Intel camp, any news provides ammunition to the raging AMD/Intel debates on the battlegrounds we know as internet forums. Our topic of interest today is Intel’s upcoming Sandy Bridge platform. It represents the “Tock” in their “Tick-Tock” strategy meaning that the chipset is a whole new micro-architecture as opposed to a mere die shrink. Nonetheless, it will utilise the relatively new 32nm manufacturing process we first saw with Westmere. The Sandy Bridge CPU architecture will cover several motherboard chipsets aimed at different markets, P67 being the mainstream segment. Since a lot of the information regarding the actual architecture is still under closed doors, we will instead have an exclusive look at the P67 motherboards ASUS are readying for the release of the Sandy Bridge CPUs in January. The P67 chipset, code name Cougar Point, will use Intel’s new LGA1155 socket...

More here: http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_pag...seminar,1.html

CPU Cooler Round up

Another solid looking range of boards from Asus, would like to see what they have for mATX this generation, and maybe even mini-ITX

I am curious about the basic boards with all the PCI slots, how many people are using 2-3 legacy expansion cards in contemporary systems?

Comment

I imagine a lot of people still use PCI soundcards etc. so it's a nice thing to have.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

1 PCI slot I can see the justification for, but many? at this point it just seems like an strange choice.

Comment

so we are blurring the socket for NDA? erm what about the picture here though?
          Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by f12f12 View Post
            so we are blurring the socket for NDA? erm what about the picture here though?
            DOH! I'll change it.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

too late, we all saw it and counted all the pin holes

Comment

is the pin count really that valuable?
                Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by f12f12 View Post
                  is the pin count really that valuable?
                  Apparently... blame ASUS or Intel

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

maybe it's just a standard NDA that Intel have, but only really important when they have a novel retention mechanism or connection between CPU & socket e.g. when they went to LGA type sockets for the first time.

Comment

do we know if it is keeping the lga 1156 heatsink holes?

Comment

I believe it is.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

Sabertooth TUF Jacket - does that look like it might be fouled by large HSF's or water blocks? It is an interesting feature, but I just wonder if it might limit the choice of cooling to the suggested downward blowing HSF's?

Comment

The coolers themselves shouldn't have a problem but it depends on the size of the mounting kit. There should be enough clearance though.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_pag...seminar,6.html

I like that UEFI .
                              CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Working...
                              X