Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New motherboard for old kit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New motherboard for old kit

    Hi guys and gals,

    I've currently got a system harbouring an Athlon x2 245 processor and a nVidia GTS 250 GPU, and I'm looking for a motherboard that will give me the option to put in another GTS 250 in SLI, as well as overclock the processor.

    I currently have a Gigabyte M61-PME-S2P mobo (off the top of my head; I'll be chuffed if I got the name right!) and some old DDR2 ram running at 800mhz. Can someone please recommend me a board that won't require me buying any more ram?

    Thanks

  • #2
    Just a thought, but would it not be chaeper & easier to just change the graphics card for a more powerful one.
    Most motherboards allow some overclocking; with your board you have to press Ctrl + F1 at the main Bios menu, to enable the overclocking features.

    Regards
    IanS.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Just a thought, but would it not be chaeper & easier to just change the graphics card for a more powerful one.
      Most motherboards allow some overclocking; with your board you have to press Ctrl + F1 at the main Bios menu, to enable the overclocking features.

      Regards
      IanS.
      Unfortunately my board throws a hissy fit if you so much as raise the FSB by 1. There's a few posts around different sites saying that even though this Gigabyte board has some basic overclocking features, it simply refuses to let anyone do any!

      Comment


      • #4
        it would probarbly be cheaper and easier to replace the gts 250 with a gtx 460.

        Comment


        • #5
          Only suggestion for a board i can think of is Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4, about 120, if you can find one.

          Comment


          • #6
            From what I can find, that athlon is an AM3 processor, so any of these boards should work, http://www.aria.co.uk/Products?searc...n&searchCat=23

            If you run CPU-Z, it should tell you what socket it uses.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Smifis View Post
              From what I can find, that athlon is an AM3 processor, so any of these boards should work, http://www.aria.co.uk/Products?searc...n&searchCat=23

              If you run CPU-Z, it should tell you what socket it uses.
              He did state that he wanted to use his existing DDR2 RAM.

              May well be better off selling the DDR2 and buying some DDR3, as would then give far more options.

              Comment


              • #8
                Where did he say that?

                He said that he jhas DDR2, but not that he wanted to keep using the DDR2, RAM.

                It is almost impossible to find an AMD board with SLI, the ones that hjave it are expensive, and the only ones in stock are AM3 thus DDR3

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skaface View Post
                  Can someone please recommend me a board that won't require me buying any more ram?

                  Thanks
                  right here

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    After a bit of routing about, I found this.

                    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=42067

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i think you would be better sticking the ddr2 on ebay and getting some ddr3 tbh as that opens up more options for the mobo you can get get and might even leave you with a little bit of cash left over for the 2nd gpu as ddr2 isnt cheap anymore while ddr3 is.
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by theelusiveyoda View Post
                        it would probarbly be cheaper and easier to replace the gts 250 with a gtx 460.
                        Actually I agree with the above. GTX460 would be faster than GTX250 SLI as well has more consistent frame rate, plus dx11, less power consuming and can overclock by quite a lot and cooler than a pair of cards in SLI.
                        Q6600@3.6GHz vcore1.48v, Thermalright Silver Arrow
                        MSI 5850 Twin FrozeR, Corsair 4x1GB XMS2-6400C4,
                        Asus P5Q Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB,
                        CoolerMaster 690II Advanced, Sapphire Pure 625W, Win7 64-bit

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X