Asus or Gigabyte, Which do you prefer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmdOverclocker View Post
    Asus, they look alot better than gigabyte boards and don't use stuipid gimmicks like gigabyte do, e.g., "24-phase power design" and "2oz copper PCB" etc.
    The phase issue i will agree with as both companies do the same while MSI sit back and laugh, the increased copper boards 'gimmick' not so much as that genuinely is beneficial.

Looks is completely subjective though. Personally i don't have a gripe with GB's Crayola colour schemes although i know some prefer the gaymer red/black looks of the ROG boards.

Looks wise my favourite is the Sabertooth from Asus.

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
      The phase issue i will agree with as both companies do the same while MSI sit back and laugh, the increased copper boards 'gimmick' not so much as that genuinely is beneficial.

Looks is completely subjective though. Personally i don't have a gripe with GB's Crayola colour schemes although i know some prefer the gaymer red/black looks of the ROG boards.

Looks wise my favourite is the Sabertooth from Asus.

personally i love asus' blue boards and their ROG ones too, aswell as the sabertooth but the thing about gigabyte's "2oz copper" if you think about it is a bit of a gimmick, because i used to have a 785G board from them and the SB heatsink was at least like 70*C whenever i touched it... and its not even supposed to be hot, on my asus ive got at the moment though all the heatsinks are almost cold lol.
      AMD X2 550 @ 3.8GHz - - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - - ASUS 5770 - - 6GB RAM - - 250GB WD (OS), 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB Hitachi.

Comment

The copper is in the PCB layers itself IIRC. As to your warm SB, i have no idea - majority of the time you could run a SB without a HS on it

Comment

I'd like an option for both being pretty awesome!

For me, Gigabyte = solid and reliable, Asus = lots of features and class leading boards

Comment

My last THREE Gigabyte board have been faulty, 1 after 2 weeks and the others straight out of the box; not touching them again.
            Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

That sounds like more than a coincidence. Were they all the same board? Perhaps a bad batch or (no disrespect) user error. Working in a PC shop in the past I've seen lots of poor builds, not saying that you are a poor builder though, I have no idea of your abilities.

What did you do in the end, change to Asus or another manufacturer?

Comment

I've bought around 5-6 Asus motherboards. Only issue I had was with an a8nsli deluxe and that tiny horrible chipset fan that came with the original version of the motherboard. Emailed support and they sent a better replacement cooler within a week.

The one thing I don't like about Asus is their web site. Looks good, navigation is fine but quite often it's very slow and during peak time it can't cope with demand at all.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Originally posted by alex24 View Post
                  That sounds like more than a coincidence. Were they all the same board? Perhaps a bad batch or (no disrespect) user error. Working in a PC shop in the past I've seen lots of poor builds, not saying that you are a poor builder though, I have no idea of your abilities.

What did you do in the end, change to Asus or another manufacturer?
                  1x MA78LM-2S Worked for ~10 days, then no wireless or Ethernet.
                  1x MA78LM-2SH ( the "S" was out of stock) Same problem as above, but straight out of the box.
                  1x MA69G-S3H Board kept overheating, even in a new case with tonnes of space, 3 case fans and mini fans stuck to North and South Bridge.

yeah, bought an Asus usb3 board from Aria; so far I have never had a single problem with an Asus board, either mobo or other.
                  Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

My asus mb seems to be great so far . Although I cant comment on gigabyte, both MSI and XFX mb's have broken on me.

The one thing I don't like about Asus is their web site. Looks good, navigation is fine but quite often it's very slow and during peak time it can't cope with demand at all.
                    So true, the asus website is a pain to wait for

Comment

My Gigabyte Socket A (NF2 iirc) failed just out of warranty, turned out that the protective cover on the southbridge cooler had not been removed leaving the southbridge to burn out...

back in my early pc days I had a Gigabyte board (iirc GA586F) that would not shut down ever. It would always reboot! shop I bought it from couldn't work it out either!

Never really had much issues with Asus boards except my G33 board's nic keeps dropping to 100M every reboot, changed cable and port on the switch, but always happens.

MSI boards have always been great
                      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Gigabyte after ASUS horrible run with compatible RAM on the 1156 mobos.

"have you tried the mem ok button?" please.

I've returned more than i can count.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I think Asus run their website's "Download" section on an old VIC20

Comment

Gigabyte as I had few gigabyte mobos and never had any problems....
                            i7 6700 | Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB | Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H | Corsair AX850 | Fractal Design Mini
                            i3 6100 | Corsair 16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x2 | WD Red 4TB x2 | Gigabyte GA-Z170N Wi-Fi | Corsair CMX 430M | Fractal Design Node 804

Comment

i've had both as my main boards, and have worked for some time with both, and although i've used more gigabyte, i've switched mainly to asus now, and i think that would be where i head next time i upgrade too, so i have voted asus

Originally posted by GentleGiant View Post
                              I think Asus run their website's "Download" section on an old VIC20
                              so true, and their FTP via dial-up

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                              - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Working...
                              X