How do you choose a motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you choose a motherboard?

What should you look for while selecting a motherboard? There seems to be a large price difference in them. What i know to look for is chipset set type, the expansion slots it has. Whether crossfire or sli is supported. But what is the difference between the 80 mobo and the 140?

the higher price of the same kinda motherboard usually means more features. but i go for the highest power phase design, a board that atleast supports crossfire or sli at 16x for both cards and of course the looks of the board in the price range that i would have
    Currently Do Not Have A Rig!

Comment

The looks?, thats one i didn't expect , i guess some horrible brown color pcb would be a big no

Comment

I buy the cheapest one that allows me to do everything I want to
        i5 760 @ 4.01GHz, 4GB DDR3, Sapphire 6870, Soundblaster X-Fi

Comment

yeah i dont know why but its mainly looks i go for but the best performing gear is always usually the best looking for example the republic of gamers boards
          Currently Do Not Have A Rig!

Comment

Before buying a motherboard i read reviews around the net, that basically sells it to me.

Comment

I know what I bloody want but they don't bloody do it for around 100.

What are you going to be putting with the mobo?
              I HAVE a computer. I have a thing for cats.
              Introducing, picard

Comment

Originally posted by Melancholic View Post
                What should you look for while selecting a motherboard? There seems to be a large price difference in them. What i know to look for is chipset set type, the expansion slots it has. Whether crossfire or sli is supported. But what is the difference between the 80 mobo and the 140?
                The really expensive boards are geared towards extreme overclocking and tri / quad GPU setups. Personally I tend to go for a lower end model from a good manufacturer of the latest suitable chipset in most machines I build for myself, normally costing around 100. What CPU are you looking at and what do you want to do with it?
                i7 Sandy@4.5Ghz w/HT,BeQuiet Advanced,HD7850,
                ASUS P8P67 PRO,2x4GB Blackline DDR3,
                650W XFX PSU,Pioneer 216,256GB SSD,
                Fractal Arc Case loaded with quiet fans.

Comment

I have only ever built two computers for myself, but more if you count the ones for other people. When other people are involved, I stick strictly to their budget and advise to their needs but normally they'll just tell me what they're going to use it for and I'll buy a suitable board.

The two computers I've built for myself since 2003 were both built to the highest spec possible for my budget. Full ATX case and mobo, fastest CPU, powerful GPU, etc, and obviously the motherboard had to support all of that.

But now, I've learnt lessons as to what I really need from a motherboard, based on what I do with my computer currently, and I have learnt to be a bit more choosey with my motherboards.

Brands, I'll typically look towards Gigabyte or Asus, favouring Gigabyte. Asus like to leave gaps in the back panel where something useful can go. Gigabyte like to fill the back panel with useful ports.

As for features, from my two PCs for myself, I have learnt the following and this is now what I look for in a motherboard:
                  - Micro ATX. I really don't need room for expansion anymore. All I ever install in the expansion slots is a graphics card, and a RAID card if I need more SATA ports.
                  - As many USBs on the back panel as possible.
                  - 8 channel audio.
                  - Preferably no onboard graphics, because VGA or DVI or HDMI ports take up too much space on the back panel and onboard graphics chips typically don't deliver the performance I require.
                  - Onboard LAN for my homeplugs.
                  - I prefer PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports, but am not all that fussed. I currently have a USB keyboard and mouse, but they're both connected to PS/2 converters to free up USB ports.
                  - Preferably a firewire port on the back panel. IF not, then it must have a firewire header and my case must have a firewire port. Currently, my case doesn't have a firewire port, but my back panel does. On my old case (Thermaltake Tsunami Dream) the firewire port never worked anyway so I've gotten used to using the back panel ports, but there's no guarantee that my next motherboard will have onboard firewire on the back panel so I might need a firewire expansion card.
                  - I'll aim for the most advanced chipset that my budget will allow.
                  - Normally I'll decide on AMD or Intel before buying the board, then I'll buy all compatible parts, but for my next build I intend to reuse a lot of my old parts, so I'll be looking for a board which offers support for them instead.

And I think that's about it really.

Check out my latest Steam Workshop creations here

Comment

Originally posted by KarlHungus View Post
                    Before buying a motherboard i read reviews around the net, that basically sells it to me.
                    ^ this

Good reviews, Good I/O options, Nice looks and price...As I've tried to live buy the credo that I never spend more than 100 pounds on any single component, it limits my choices somwhat - Still if you look around there are plenty of good mobos under a ton.
                    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Comment

The looks?, thats one i didn't expect , i guess some horrible brown color pcb would be a big no
                      Usually I don't worry about such things, but for my current system my choices were swayed toward having a matching colour blue scheme: Asus + Sapphire Toxic + Kingston. I reckon the combo is worth at least 5 frames per second extra in every game...

If possible I like to think about what might happen to the current components when I next upgrade. My current system has an H55 chipset, I don't need it today but when I change the board it will be easy to drop in a i5 with integrated graphics to upgrade my parents PC.

Comment

Usually I don't worry about such things, but for my current system my choices were swayed toward having a matching colour blue scheme: Asus + Sapphire Toxic + Kingston. I reckon the combo is worth at least 5 frames per second extra in every game...
                        Can't be, we all know black is the best color for an overclock!

Comment

whichever is shiniest
                          Angry and Remaining

Comment

Originally posted by callumburns View Post
                            yeah i dont know why but its mainly looks i go for but the best performing gear is always usually the best looking for example the republic of gamers boards

well, first off there not the best performing gear and price/performance ratio isnt good on them, also what the hell with dual x16? dual x8 is more than enough, unless you have a bid budget to go there obv.

also, a lets say, asus x58 sabertooth, is in fact pretty much the same or better than the ROG rampage 3 extreme, yet the ROG board is more expensive becaus eof the extra unnecassary features no-one really needs.
                            AMD X2 550 @ 3.8GHz - - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - - ASUS 5770 - - 6GB RAM - - 250GB WD (OS), 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB Hitachi.

Comment

Can't be, we all know black is the best color for an overclock!

hmmmmmmm.... black + blue or black + red FTW
                              AMD X2 550 @ 3.8GHz - - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO - - ASUS 5770 - - 6GB RAM - - 250GB WD (OS), 1TB Samsung F3, 1TB Hitachi.

Comment

Working...
                              X