Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone help with this motherboard 'scorch' mark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone help with this motherboard 'scorch' mark?

I'm putting together some old kit of mine for my sons to play on, nothing serious but I remember it served me well at the time:

ASUS A8V-XE motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
    Nvidia 7600GT
    2gb (1x2) Crucial Ram

Looking at the motherboard there appears to be like a scorch mark on it - just above the end and to the right of the PCI slot -which I can only assume it got from some kind of overheating. It worked fine until I upgraded to my current rig but I wondered if anyone can shed some light on what might have caused this - and how I can avoid it happening again?

Here's a couple of pics. In the first pic the scorch is directly in the centre of the photo - You can see the change in colour from the motherboard underneath.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and comments, thank you

New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

It looks like that capacitor that's bulging right next to the burn mark has blown. It'll need replacing. There may be other damage too.

Comment

Yep looks like a blown capacitor to me too

Umar
      PC1: Q6600 - 4GB DDR2-800 - ATI HD4850 1GB
      PC2: X2 3800 - 1GB DDR-400 - ATI 9250 256mb
      HTPC: E6600 - 2GB DDR2-533 - ATI HD5450 512mb

Comment

Ouch, pop indeed!
        --
        Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

The capacitor with the black mark on it, appears to have a raised top instead of flat, indicating that it has either blown or failed. This may have caused the scortching

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Oh noes! - I'm out of my depth knowledge wise here now. It can be replaced? That will involve a solder iron I guess? (Never used one of those) Where would I get the correct replacement capacitor from (maplin?)

...Or should I just get another mobo instead?

Any help would be gratefully received. This intended PC build will update my kids PC by a quantum jump!
            New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Comment

Try for an RMA / warranty first, if you can.

In theory it may be repairable, but you'll need a steady hand and you don't want to heat the board at all with your iron as you could do more damage. I don't know much about it other than to say BE CAREFUL!
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by Simon1987 View Post
                its a 939 board, albeit a "late" one. I doubt they could replace it via rma.
                just replace it to be honest, if one cap has gone if you repair others probably fail sooner or later.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

as already said the cap next to the pci e slot does seem to be domed which isnt a good sign but looking at the scorch pattern i would guess that its one (or more) of those power regs that has overheated causing that. was it the heat that caused the cpa to dome or the cap giving out that caused the overheating i couldnt tell unless i saw a diagram but its an issue.

you could replace the cap (google what it says on the cap and get another from maplins or the likes) and put heatsinks on the regs but im not sure i would want to trust my first hard mod like that in my kids box, well anybox tbh. i would test it to see if its working, and fix it for something to play with.

asrock do some very good 939 boards with upto date hardware onboard if you are looking for a new one, if not try and get a preowned with the nf4 chipset as they was good
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

Thanks everyone again.

Knowing me, I just know if I attempted a repair I'd probably drive the soldering iron right through the motherboard, so I think I'll look around for a used / new 939 board.

Gutted tbh, that was going to be my next little build project and would have been what I was playing on 4 or 5 years ago. Oh well. Thanks again

Comment

939 board are pretty rare. Shame I just binned an Abit one.
                      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

TBH the scortch might have been there since there are loads of VRM's there. Thus getting pretty hot. But that cap is dead. If its out of warranty its worth trying to replace it. could only cost like 20p

Comment

Originally posted by Snakedoc View Post
                          939 board are pretty rare. Shame I just binned an Abit one.
                          Have the bin men been yet? Already I'm finding a 939 board could cost 50+. Grrr.

Comment

If it were me I would sell on the 939 4400 x2 as these go for between 40 and 80

you could then get something like a G41 board and a E2160 and still ahve money left over for the DDR2 it will need...
                            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                              If it were me I would sell on the 939 4400 x2 as these go for between 40 and 80

you could then get something like a G41 board and a E2160 and still ahve money left over for the DDR2 it will need...
                              Fair point, but believe it or not I've watched Ebay until there were no 4400x2's on there and put mine on, starting price 55 and 4 times it didn't sell - not a sniff!

Comment

Working...
                              X