What's the crack with LLC Asus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the crack with LLC Asus?

So, I've been bored this morning, and I've found that my maximum Prime stable CPU NB is 3.2GHZ.

So, working around that I've decided to go for 4320MHZ on the core clock.
    However, for that, I need a sustained load of 1.55v.

Herein lies the problem, it's impossible with this LLC..
    If I set it at 1.5v in BIOS it'll only ever spike to 1.56v rarely, most of the time it'll e 1.548v, this results in a BSOD.

If I set it at the next one up from 1.5v, it also results in a BSOD as again, it rarely hits 1.56v.

All of the settings apart from 1.5125v will result in the Vcore becoming too low, resulting in a BSOD, however, settings at 1.5125v while giving me a decent minimum Vcore, also has the tendancy to be at 1.572v far too much..

It turns out my loop can sustain 4230MHZ at 1.56v without going over the threshold, but 1.572v adds about 3c on, which takes it over the threshold.

Point being, why oh why on a board like the Asus Crosshair IV Formula, can I not just set it to 1.55v and for it to be 1.55v..

Gigabyte boards handle it fine, if I set 1.55v in my BIOS, it'd be 1.55v constant at load without any noticeable (By software) drops or spikes.

Rant over...
    It's stopping me getting 4.32GHZ 8 hour Prime stable

The only logical solution for me, is to add a second Rad in, which should hopefully drop load by 5c...

LLC off and pencil mod?

Comment

Originally posted by Toonshorty View Post
      LLC off and pencil mod?
      Not really an acceptable solution really is it?
      Although, elaborate please.

EDIT : Also, LLC off makes 1.5v boot in at like 1.4v which is an instant BSOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Not really an acceptable solution really is it?
        Although, elaborate please.
        Well, I'm a total newb to overclocking really.

I've got both my P4 and E5300 to 4GHz but that's it really.

However, I'm sure I read up about drawing a line with a pencil on a part of the motherboard and it basically removes vDroop.

Was popular a few years ago, everyone at overclock.net did it.

Let me dig out an article.

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/general-vol...encil-mod.html
        Last edited by Toonshorty; 10-10-10, 10:38. Reason: Added Article

Comment

It'd decrease the resistance.

Comment

Well, I'm a total newb to overclocking really.

I've got both my P4 and E5300 to 4GHz but that's it really.

However, I'm sure I read up about drawing a line with a pencil on a part of the motherboard and it basically removes vDroop.

Was popular a few years ago, everyone at overclock.net did it.

Let me dig out an article.

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/general-vol...encil-mod.html
            It's temporary measure at best, doesn't beat hardware modding by soldering variable resistor to the point to get the job done.
            But saying that LLC on modern boards is suppose be good enough that you don't need do that again.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
              It's temporary measure at best, doesn't beat hardware modding by soldering variable resistor to the point to get the job done.
              But saying that LLC on modern boards is suppose be good enough that you don't need do that again.
              The Crosshair IV has the settings of "Auto/Enabled/Disbaled"
              Auto and enabled do exactly the same thing essentially (Both will spike it too high), and disabled just incurs massive and stupidly sporadic voltage.

Comment

The Crosshair IV has the settings of "Auto/Enabled/Disbaled"
                Auto and enabled do exactly the same thing essentially (Both will spike it too high), and disabled just incurs massive and stupidly sporadic voltage.
                So it's slightly overvolting it?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

So it's slightly overvolting it?
                  A setting of 1.512v in BIOS spikes to and pretty much remains at 1.572v.. That's not what I'd call "slightly overvolting"

Comment

Could be a faulty board.

Comment

A setting of 1.512v in BIOS spikes to and pretty much remains at 1.572v.. That's not what I'd call "slightly overvolting"
                      Happen at lower voltages or just at that certain voltage range? What happens if you set 1.575v in bios? with LLC off

Comment

Could be a faulty board.
                        It's not.
                        That's the way it's designed to work.

Happen at lower voltages or just at that certain voltage range? What happens if you set 1.575v in bios? with LLC off
                        1.5v will occasionally spike to 1.56v, though mainly stays 1.548v.

I must aliterate, the spike happens at load, as it's designed to. Idle, it's 1.52v with a BIOS setting of 1.5v.

And LLC off is sporadic voltages, it'd probably boot at 1.475v and do some crazy load at 1.6v+

EDIT : I'm not looking for a solution, there pretty much isn't one. I just don't get why they can't have a stable voltage regulation like Gigabyte boards (Which is why they've been my favourite)

I've opted to lower my bus to 315 at a multi of 13.5 for 4252MHZ, this allows me to set my CPU NB at 3.15GHZ with RAM at 1.68GHZ CL7.

Comment

I have notice this myself with asus boards that over 1.5v+ on vcore the LLC tends to overshoot by 0.05v, but saying that it's much better than some boards i've seen around 0.1v difference. I also notice this behaviour to change slightly on different bios's. The hardcore extreme user would just bypass it by soldering extra parts on it
                          Seen some of the mod's done to 480 GTX so they could pump 1.5v+ into gpu core with it been stable

Comment

this thing also annoys me when i go above 4.6 throws the voltage all over the place too high for silly temps too low for bsod.. i just left it at the limit of the chip.
                            5GHZ!

we are one.

Comment

try the latest 1102 (or is it 1105) bios mate.

Funnily enough I had the same issue when I got my first Crosshair IV back in august - It was spiking CPU volts all over the place and worse still Frequency was also going up and down like a yo-yo by 2Mhz. This might not be much - but when your running 200x20 - the multiplier makes it much higher (an extra 40mhz in my example) - so I was getting between 4013 and 4045 jumps! - causing my 4Ghz oc to be unstable.

I did try the newer bioses at the time and it didnt make any difference (think it was only 10xx available then)- so I returned the board and went back to stock on my M4A89GTDPRO/USB3. After having an epic failure with my M4 board - I bit the bullet and bought the IV again this weekend gone.

This time it came with the 110x BIOS and is ROCK SOLID bloomin stable - Loving this board now!

hth
                              4960x@4.7 | 16Gb@2400 | R9 290 | Custom W/C

Comment

Working...
                              X