Expressgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expressgate

So, my Asus motherboard supports Expressgate - a fast booting Linux for web browsing when you can't be bothered booting windows. Before I go to the effort of setting it up etc, do any of you guys have any experience? Is it as good as its cracked up to be? Basically is it worth the hassel and loss of Hard disc space?

It runs off an SSD soldered to the motherboard, so you don't lose any disk space. I think it's quite useful if you just want to check your webmail quickly, but I've found it to be very unflexible personally so I don't mind waiting for Windows to load myself.

IIRC most versions of Expressgate don't support wireless adapters so you have to be connected via a LAN cable, which puts a lot of people off too.
    Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
    Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by NickCPC View Post
      It runs off an SSD soldered to the motherboard, so you don't lose any disk space. I think it's quite useful if you just want to check your webmail quickly, but I've found it to be very unflexible personally so I don't mind waiting for Windows to load myself.

IIRC most versions of Expressgate don't support wireless adapters so you have to be connected via a LAN cable, which puts a lot of people off too.

Not all versions run from a flash drive on the motherboard.

some run from the hard drive.

My P5QL Pro is one such example.
      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
        Not all versions run from a flash drive on the motherboard.

some run from the hard drive.

My P5QL Pro is one such example.
        Oh, my mistake. Well, considering it's basically a super-small Linux, it's not going to take up much space and I stand by my other comments.
        Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
        Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

I've used it...and as has been said if you want to do a quick surf or webmail check..its adequate..but if you want to do and full on surfing then best let windows do the work....
          posted by scrivz69
          I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
          i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

I've got a couple of mobos that support expressgate, both need a separate partition or must be run from a USB/eSATA memory stick, and on the earlier one the manual said that downloads are only supported on installations running from USB (really strange limitation, but there it is)

Anyway, in the end I concluded Expressgate isn't worth it - it's too limited in what's available and what it can do. I prefer to dual boot with Windows and Ubuntu or Fedora. Sure the start up is a little slower, but you get some time back once you disable the Expressgate check from the BIOS.

Let's face it, you boot once per session, so an extra 10s-20s before you start working is no big deal. If you do get an SSD you'll be loading Windows in around 16s anyway.

Comment

I tried it, found it didnt support my wireless internet connection and never used it again.
              Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Mine is one of the mobos that need it installed on the hard drive. Based on this it's dropped down my to do list.

Comment

My board also has this feature, i've never used it so some feedback on how it works would be nice.
                  CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

Used it at work, really bad imo. Would be fine for a 4 year old

Comment

Originally posted by SeanBond View Post
                      Used it at work, really bad imo. Would be fine for a 4 year old
                      Ah not for me then
                      CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

tryed to use it, but it requires your disk controller to be running in the old IDE mode. im running AHCI mode, and don't want to switch just for this feature.

not worth it, you'll be online with full browser and system within the minute anyway. you can play with your phone or get a cuppa while it's booting up.

or just put your computer to sleep instead of shutdown
                        i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
                        X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

Working...
                        X