X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 GB RAM won't work in my mobo

I bought 2 GB of Corsair RAM, two 1 GB sticks. DDR400
    My motherboard is an Asus A7A266.

Previously I had DDR RAM in there, two 512 MB sticks, then moved them to another PC, and then put SDRAM into this PC (1 GB), which was too slow. So I bought new RAM.

But when I put them both in, and booted the PC, it would not recognise any RAM. I shut down, removed 1 GB and then booted and it works okay.

But I bought 2 GB and want to use both sticks in the PC, but so far cannot get it to work. I checked on the Corsair website which shows that these RAM modules are compatible with my mobo. Also the mobo manual says I can have 1 GB in each of the two DDR slots.

have you tried the original ram back in that computer to find out if its a ram issue or if something has happened to the mobo?

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I tried using just one stick of 1 GB of this RAM in the mobo, and it worked. I tried both sticks separately in one slot and then the other, and each time it worked okay.

What won't work is the two together. But they both work individually, so the RAM is not bad at all.

Comment

2 GIGer's Club

Seems your not the only one mate....The board may only support 2G's in other frequencies. 2100 / 3200 etc.

See here...>>> http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...S-A7A266E.html

Possible solution Here >>> http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=80

Hope this helps..and welcome to the forum mate..!

Greets Mighty...

"Some say, that the Pen is Mightier than the sword, but thats just cos they dont have photoshop"

Comment

The second link gave this info:
          \"With 2 DDR DIMMs, you must change the position of the unmarked jumper located at the end of the AGP slot. This jumper controls the voltage to the DDR DIMMs.
          In the default configuration (1-2), 2.5 volts is supplied, but the board does not seem to provide enough power to run both DDR DIMMs at 133/266MHz. Changing the position of this jumper to (2-3) will correct the problem by supplying 2.6 volts.\"

So I tried changing the jumper (not mentioned at all in the manual), but that made no difference.

So maybe I shall have to do what was in the first link, i.e. put in 512 MB of RAM into the second slot, of DDR400 RAM.

Comment

I am also planning to upgrade another PC to the same RAM, i.e. two sticks of 1 GB DDR400 RAM, and it has a newer mobo. I wonder if that would have the same problem? Maybe I should just upgrade them both to 1.5 GB? The other mobo is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Comment

Re:

[quote:4da8bc2579=\"Avoura\"]The second link gave this info:
              \"With 2 DDR DIMMs, you must change the position of the unmarked jumper located at the end of the AGP slot. This jumper controls the voltage to the DDR DIMMs.
              In the default configuration (1-2), 2.5 volts is supplied, but the board does not seem to provide enough power to run both DDR DIMMs at 133/266MHz. Changing the position of this jumper to (2-3) will correct the problem by supplying 2.6 volts.\"

So I tried changing the jumper (not mentioned at all in the manual), but that made no difference.

[/quote:4da8bc2579]

You might have the \"JEN\" Jumper set, if so it makes the board Jumperless
              You could try changing it to 2.6 in the Bios when you have 1 gig installed

Comment

Yep its 1.5's all round

Yep Id say a 1.5g in each...would be a good...Idea..mate!

It may, as Firerat has suggested....be a jumperless alteration done through bios...which may get you to your solution...with 2 gigz.

Greets Mighty...

"Some say, that the Pen is Mightier than the sword, but thats just cos they dont have photoshop"

Comment

What bios version are you using?

Comment

BIOS version is 1012. The last time I upgraded the BIOS, it then failed to correctly recognise the CPU. I have an AMD Athlon 1700, but it is recognised as an Athlon 2000, so instead of running at 1446 MHz, it runs at 1667 MHz (the only other option in the BIOS setup is 1250 MHz).
                    So if I upgraded the BIOS again, would that be likely to cause any problems?

Also, I contacted Corsair, who said they would accept the RAM to be returned and replaced. But as I do not think the problem is with the RAM, based on replies I received here and the fact that just one by itself works perfectly, I do not intend to return the RAM (except as a last resort). Although as I was going to buy the same RAM for my other PC as well, I might end up putting it in there and buying slightly slower RAM, still 2 GB, for this PC, assuming that there will be no other problems with DDR RAM of other speeds, e.g. 266 or 333.

For now though I am using just one stick (1 GB) of this DDR 400 RAM in the PC, and there is definitely a noticeable improvement in response with this faster RAM, compared to the older SDRAM PC133 I had before. Although I am still at times running very low on RAM while using the PC so I still want to go to 2 GB.

Comment

Well i reckon its just Corsair RAM having some strange problems with that motherboard.

Have a search on ASUS website for the latest bios, and what issues it solves.

Flash the board one more time and see if that helps.

____

If you still can only run with 1 stick of a GB, then earlier you said about upgrading your other computer with the same pair?

Use that pair on that computer now, and try a different make of memory for the ASUS board.

____

Ill edit my post when i find you the latest bios upgrade.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Comment

At last I got round to putting the Corsair 2 GB RAM into the other PC, one with a newer motherboard, but also made by Asus. The RAM works perfectly in that motherboard without any problems at all.

I have not yet updated the BIOS on the first PC, but I shall try to do so when I have some time.

Comment

Found this on Aria website

In the Aria website, in the Kingston memory section, I found this:

System Memory Configuration
                          Standard Memory: 0MB (Removable)
                          Maximum Memory: 1.5GB with DDR Modules
                          1.5GB with PC133 modules
                          Expansion: 2 Sockets for DDR
                          3 Sockets for SDRAM
                          CPU & ChipSet: AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz ALi M1647
                          Operating System: (N/A)
                          Bus Architecture: AGP; PCI
                          Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A

Technical Notes
                          This motherboard supports both DDR and SDRAM. These technologies can not be used simultaniously.

Bank Schema
                          DDR Standard:
                          Empty Socket Empty Socket
                          SDRAM Standard:
                          Empty Socket Empty Socket Empty Socket

Config / Kingston Part Number / Qty (Upgrade Path)

Using DDR Memory:
                          Virtually any configuration up to 1.5GB can be reached using any combination of Kingston's 128, 256, and 512MB modules.
                          Using SDRAM memory:
                          Virtually any configuration up to 1.5GB can be reached using any combination of Kingston's 128, 256, and 512MB modules.
                          Memory Installation Guide

Copyright 1998-2006 Kingston Technology
                          http://www.aria.co.uk/kingston/

This contradicts the Asus manual which states that I can have 2 GB of RAM. But then maybe the manual was wrong, and Kingston are correct in saying that the max is 1.5 GB, in which case I shall put 1.5 GB in there, or possibly change the motherboard. Although what they say about DDR RAM is not possible, as it only has 2 slots for DDR RAM, which means that one module has to be 1 GB. But on the Aria site there is no 1 GB module from Kingston.

Comment

You say that your cpu isn't regonised correctly? Maybe you flashed with the wrong BIOS. I know that there can be very similar board names, some with extra extensions of a couple of letters on the name, but have different specs. 2GB max. RAM is common, but I've don't think I've heard of a board supporting 1.5GB max. Btw, I'm sure Kingston make 1GB memory modules. Every other company seems to. Aria doesn't stock everything.

I've heard of the following memory limits on motherboards:

512MB
                            1GB
                            2GB
                            3GB
                            4GB

It could be worth flashing the BIOS again.
                            C2D E6300 : Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H : 2GB Corsair DDR2-667 : Sapphire X1650XT : 320GB Seagate 16MB 7200.10

Comment

I'd try for a BIOS update too. Use Asus update tool if u want to make it quick and easy.

Failing that, flog the board on the bay of E and buy something a bit better (with dedicated DDR slots, get rid of the SDRAM).

Comment

Working...
                              X