Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't agree more

Comment

if you try my method it'll be alot easier as you get to keep all your configuration and peronsal files, soo all you have to do is re-install windows and your apps.

Comment

all i need is my docs, music, vids, pics. not that bothered about apps as i can back the install file up aswell onto new HDD and jus install it on ther.
        its about time i did a fresh install of windows anyway so im not bother much if it's easier.

Comment

is there anything *special* that i need to know before i change my mobo and processor and add a heatsink on?

Comment

Make sure that the cpu is clean of any grease, unless its new, and just be careful, but slightly forceful when putting the heatsink on, i do it when its mounted in the case, but that can be a bit tight for the fingers and attaching it.

Comment

yeh when in the case, it is a bit fiddly,
              i5 2500k - P8P67 Pro - EVGA GTX 460 SC - 4gb Mushkin + Corsair DDR3 -Coolermaster 650w Gold PSU

Comment

ok

wot if the mobo has the 20pin ATX power connected and the small 4pin 12V one? would i have to connect a power cable in both of them?

Comment

Yes you do need the seperate 4pin connector plugged in too.

General rule of thumb if there is a power connector on the motherboard, plug something in it. Im not saying that to make you look/feel silly, some motherboards have \"optional\" power connectors, some Abit mobos spring to mind, they are supposed to improve stability if used though.
                  Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
                  Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
                  Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

just used my brain and thought \"why not look at the manual on the net!\" and yea i do need to use both power slots.

Comment

have installed the new mobo and cpu but i have a problem installing XP!

when i boot from the disk, it says to insert bootable media (or something meaning the same!). It does the same when i do it with another machine but when i insert the disc when windows is running it seems to work fine - it's just when i boot from the disc. I need to boot from disc as i cant access windows on my pc which i put new mobo and cpu in. any thoughts?

Comment

You might need to reset the bios (or go into the bios and set CD drive as the first bootable option) OR its not seeing the cd drive for some reason. Does it appear on the POST screen? Or if its not up there long enough again go into the bios and see if its listed. Might be worth checking if its set to master or slave, if its the only device on the cable set it to master, assuming its ide.
                        Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
                        Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

managed to fix it.. turned out that wen my m8 burned the disc he 4got to make it bootable lol
                          i can already notice a huge difference in the performance with the E4300 c2d! Next i'm gonna have a go at oc'ing it

can ne1 recommend any overclocking tools/software to monitor temps etc...?

Comment

99% of the time i always overclock from the bios.

As for temperature monitoring i always use core temp

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Comment

ok. thx

Comment

Working...
                              X