Monitor issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor issue?

Hi people. So recently I moved my components into a new case (game max gm-one knight). After all was done, I tried to play some games. Ran SOMA and Lethe and on both games I could see some sort of horizontal faint lines moving up and down. It also happened on BF3.

Tried a different monitor but still the same. Changed gpu drivers and reseated gpu to no avail. Temps are fine.
    The issue I'm having is very similar to this guy's,, look at the first 4 seconds of the video, you'll see the lines or waves on the monitor, BUT his method of solving his issue didn't work for me:

My monitors have VGA ports only and I've connected my gpu through a dvi-i vga adapter. Could it be that the vga cable or the adapter is on its way out? I'm totally confused by this tbh. Any advice is appreciated.
    i5-3470, WD Blue 500GB, WD Blue 320GB, 8GB Ram, Asrock h61m-dgs, EVGA GTX 560 Ti, OCZ ZS 550W

Originally posted by dani87 View Post
    Tried a different monitor but still the same.
    Hmmmm. Probably not your monitor then.

Have you got any high voltage equipment near your monitor that could be causing EMR (electrical interference)?

Change cables.

Doesnt look like an obvious GPU fault but it's possible.
    GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

One of my old 4:3 monitors does something similar, to fix it I have to give it a slap on the rear side of it.

Comment

The music really adds to the effect
        i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Bad earth maybe? You said you transplanted to a new case... Remember to put the back plate in?

What's the monitors refresh rate? Is the GPU matching it?

If they've only got VGA connections, I take it they're quite old? Inverter could be on it's way out. I'd be surprised if it's happened on 2 different monitors at the same time though.
          Last edited by FunkY; 26-01-17, 18:22.
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Thanks guys and no high voltage equipment near the monitor or the case,,
            Changed the power cables already, and have ordered one dvi dual link to vga adapter and a vga cable, should arrive by Saturday hopefully.

Funky, yes I did put the back-plate in along with standoffs,, the monitor refresh rate is 60 and yes the gpu matches it.

I think and hope it's either the vga cable and/or the dvi vga adapter. if it is then I'll use the new vga and adapter I've ordered for a while, but will buy a proper monitor. Tired of vga crap tbh.
            Last edited by dani87; 26-01-17, 18:44. Reason: Added more info
            i5-3470, WD Blue 500GB, WD Blue 320GB, 8GB Ram, Asrock h61m-dgs, EVGA GTX 560 Ti, OCZ ZS 550W

Comment

My first thought was an Earth loop but I think thats what the video fixes by moving it to its own power outlet.

When you say your GPU matches its? have you got Vsync on or just limiting your FPS to 60?
              i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Finners View Post
                When you say your GPU matches its? have you got Vsync on or just limiting your FPS to 60?
                I have tried both methods. vsync and nvidia inspector.

Comment

Right then, Bought a new VGA cable and attached it to the dvi-vga adapter. The lines are still there in the dark backgrounds, but much less this time. I'm guessing if I change the dvi-vga adapter it may solve the issue?
                  Now have to wait for the adapter to arrive and try it.

Comment

Final update for anyone with similar issue: It was the dvi-i to vga adapter. No more faint lines.

Comment

Working...
                    X